LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

1st round picks: Smith-Davis-Lawson-Willis-Staley-Balmer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With the 9ers finally giving Manny the full opportunity to prove he can be a Pass Rusher, this will be Manny last shot at clearly giving that evidence...and Manny know it!

Im keeping my fingers crossed that Manny comes through simply because the 9ers desperatly need Pass Rushers if they are to be a playoff caliber D.
You know what.... 3rd rounder Adam Snyder may step up to the plate at RT this season. I keep reading he is looking pretty good since being moved there.

[ Edited by BigMar on Aug 10, 2009 at 15:57:29 ]
  • Nabisko
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Ahem.... Alex Smith is NOT a "loser."

Anybody here wishes he could win college football games as a QB and get drafted into the NFL. And let's not forget that he's a multimillionaire. For a variety of reasons, including those in Smith's own head, he hasn't performed up to the expectations people have for a first round pick.... YET. He isn't done. He's still on the team and he's still lofting perfect 50-yard rainbows down the field to an increasingly deep receiving corps.

He has not won his initial battles, but the war still rages and he's still in it.

and there it is.

Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by FederalAgent49:
PRO BOWL CALIBUR PLAYERS
Patrick Willis
Frank Gore
Andy Lee
Marvel Smith
Michael Lewis
Nate Clements
Dre Bly
all those players have been there at least once and have the ablility to go again

the new players that have a legit chance if they show up this season
Justin Smith
Vernon Davis
Joe Staley
Parys Haralson

i would say Morgan and Crabtree but the nfc is loaded with great WR's so it might take a while for them

nah i think crabtree is a lock to make the probowl this year, and start over fitzgerald if he makes it , he my sleeper.

Originally posted by smithgdwg:
PRO BOWL CALIBUR PLAYERS
Patrick Willis
Frank Gore
Andy Lee
Marvel Smith
Michael Lewis
Nate Clements
Dre Bly
all those players have been there at least once and have the ablility to go again

Justin Smith
Vernon Davis
Joe Staley
Parys Haralson

i would say Morgan and Crabtree but the nfc is loaded with great WR's so it might take a while for them

nah i think crabtree is a lock to make the probowl this year, and start over fitzgerald if he makes it , he my sleeper.

Crabtree =
  • Mex49
Originally posted by global_nomad:
I'm pretty sure we have a solid 3rd round pick named Frank Gore too
Originally posted by susweel:
Willis and Staley are the only two good players from that bunch. All the rest are busts.

Davis has not lived up to the expections many had of him but I wouldn't go so far as calling him a bust. He was a Pro-Bowl alternate last year.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Willis and Staley are the only two good players from that bunch. All the rest are busts.

Davis has not lived up to the expections many had of him but I wouldn't go so far as calling him a bust. He was a Pro-Bowl alternate last year.

this is true but some here believe that all 1rst round picks should be superstars from the very first second that they step on the field
Originally posted by backontop:

this is true but some here believe that all 1rst round picks should be superstars from the very first second that they step on the field

not really... what they should not be is knockleheads from the very first second that they step on the field.

Uhmmmm.... me thinks 9ers may have drafted another knocklehead in Crabgrass..
PRO BOWL CALIBUR PLAYERS
Patrick Willis
Frank Gore
Andy Lee
Marvel Smith
Michael Lewis
Nate Clements
Dre Bly

Justin Smith
Vernon Davis
Joe Staley
Parys Haralson

Originally posted by backontop:

not really... what they should not be is knockleheads from the very first second that they step on the field.

Uhmmmm.... me thinks 9ers may have drafted another knocklehead in Crabgrass..

your theory is flawed. Some call Lawson a bust because he isn't a sack artist superstar and he is know where near a knUcklehead
None as part of the Niners' organization, outside of Willis.

I know THAT will be a popular statement on this board.

Let's go one by one:

Smith- has terrific potential, but I'm not sure he will ever emerge as one of the top QB's in the NFC in the next few years. He's going to be one of those QB's who gets better as his career goes along, but I see his best days with another franchise if he doesn't get the start and improve rapidly this year.

Davis- all the potential in the world, but still struggles on game day to run routes correctly. His lack of field awareness has always been a big weakness, and while reports from camp sounds good, until he proves he can be a reliable target on Sundays, I remain a skeptic.

Lawson- in the wrong system. He's not a rush LB, and that is the only way he's going to make a Pro-Bowl as a LB in the 3-4. Free Manny to a 4-3 team that will let him run, and you've got a much better Pro-Bowl candidate.

Staley- Potential to be a very good LT. However, is he elite? Don't think so. Every year, a couple new stud OT's enter the draft, and he's just not going to be at their level. You have to be a dominant LT in the NFL, or have a serious reputation (Jason Peters, who flipped to the NFC this offseason). Just too many other stud NFC LT's in the game. One caveat: Staley is lucky to be in the NFC. In the last couple of years, the bulk of the young stud LT's have been drafted by AFC teams (Thomas, Long, Clady, Albert, Monroe). Staley will be competing with the likes of Jason Smith, who is going to be a very good one.

Balmer- It is nearly impossible for a 3-4 DE, or 3-4 NT, to make the Pro-Bowl, unless you are a superstar. Is Balmer on the path to stardom, like BY, or Richard Seymour, or Casey Hampton? I just don't see it.

Crabtree- I don't even see Michael as a future Pro-Bowler. I believe he will be a solid WR in this league, but I'd place money on Josh Morgan being the better of the two in their careers.

Sorry, folks.
Let's hope most of these guys all step up big time this year!
Originally posted by tohara3:
Let's hope most of these guys all step up big time this year!

Hope so! The bad thing is there are so many ? for the team. QB,OLine,DLine,FS and of course pass rush.
Since the 2005 draft and of course this year...Crabtree.

How many of them will finally step up and join Patrick Willis as a Pro-Bowler?

Same question with our 2nd rounders ....David Baas & Chilo Rachal.

All these young guys should be proving their value this season and proving that GM McCloughan was correct in picking them to be the core and leaders of our team.

Who is going to join Patrick Willis this season and prove they are the best of the best?

Staley + chilo Rachal are ganna have breakout years
Share 49ersWebzone