LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 182 users in the forums

Which QB Would You Want to Lead This Team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which QB Would You Want to Lead This Team?

Originally posted by teeohh:
Shaun Hill because he has my trust now.

Ideally, Alex Smith. Who doesn't want our 1st round pick to pan out?

Well, I woould like AS to pan out, but Hill deserves a friggn shot. The guy is like a Cinderella story. Started off in a JC, worked his way to a starter. Maryland picked him up and he worked himself up to a starter. In the NFL, he worked himself up to a starter. In 2008, he should have started and we would know exactly where he stands. He got ripped and it cost us our season (not saying we would have done well anyway, but we will never know)...

Look at it this way, say Smith gets the start and stinks it up (purely hypothetical)... Sing throws in Hill around game 7-9, and the season is shot... AGAIN... then we are back in the same situation with Hill where we do not know what the hell he can do with a full season...

AS will only benefit from riding the pine for the first few games, and if so, then the whole season...
  • niners2007
  • Info N/A
Without a doubt I would want Alex Smith because I don't want our #1 pick to be a bust however as another zoner said Hill has earned respect as a leader. At least a 49er leader. But again, my vote is for Smith because of his upside and the fact that at one point we thought he was the Franchise.
I have and always will be a Alex fan.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Please make this go away, let us live in the past and go back to arguing Montana vs Young. Thinking of these 2 choices makes me want to vomit.
Better tools = AS
Better leader (as shown thus far) = SH
More upside = AS
"It" factor/gamer = SH
Best position to win TODAY = SH

I WANT Smith to lead the team. I think that Hill SHOULD lead the team.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Better tools = AS
Better leader (as shown thus far) = SH
More upside = AS
"It" factor/gamer = SH
Best position to win TODAY = SH

I WANT Smith to lead the team. I think that Hill SHOULD lead the team.

This is actually a pretty good way of putting it. I feel the same way. I want Smith to pull through and be the player that we drafted him to be, but Hill has shown to have the "it" factor and the offense seems to respond to him
Originally posted by BobS:
Please make this go away, let us live in the past and go back to arguing Montana vs Young. Thinking of these 2 choices makes me want to vomit.

Niner fans have been just spoiled sick. Come on, people. That was the first time in the history of the NFL that two consecutive QB's for a team both go to the Hall. It just doesn't happen so let's be glad it did happened to our team and move on. I appreciate the past (my handle is "Brodiefan" for crissakes) but there is really nothing about these two guys that should make a fan want to blow chunks. Hill is an absolute gamer - diving forward for a first down after losing your helmet is vintage Youngian play. Smith is a major physical specimen - he's fast, quick, has a very strong arm and with his smarts, he ought to be able to get the mental part of the game. I know optimism is very annoying to many around here, but I can't help it. I still think either one of these players can take the team to the playoffs.
Neither QB. They both are sub par.
Originally posted by jogr49:
Neither QB. They both are sub par.

OK, Niner Fan, then let's just forfeit the season and wait for next year's draft. Good god, get on board, man. They're who we have. Period. Manning, Brees, Cutler, etc. are not on the plate. Here are your choices for this year: Hill, Smith, Davis or Huard. It's called reality - put your hands in the air and just go with it!
Originally posted by BrodieFan:

Niner fans have been just spoiled sick. Come on, people. That was the first time in the history of the NFL that two consecutive QB's for a team both go to the Hall. It just doesn't happen so let's be glad it did happened to our team and move on. I appreciate the past (my handle is "Brodiefan" for crissakes) but there is really nothing about these two guys that should make a fan want to blow chunks. Hill is an absolute gamer - diving forward for a first down after losing your helmet is vintage Youngian play. Smith is a major physical specimen - he's fast, quick, has a very strong arm and with his smarts, he ought to be able to get the mental part of the game. I know optimism is very annoying to many around here, but I can't help it. I still think either one of these players can take the team to the playoffs.

Brodie was a Scientologist.

Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:

Brodie was a Scientologist.

I notice that when people mention fans being spoiled because of Young & Montana, they never seem to acknowledge the 49ers have had poor play from the QB position every season since 2003. That was the last year Garcia was here, and he didn't play so hot that year, and Rattay was up & down. Last year Hill came in late & looked alright, but if you add in all those JTO games, it was a lousy season too with overall QB play. I think we are way beyond the spoiled thing, and are crtical of losing several years in a row.
Originally posted by djfullshred:

I think we are way beyond the spoiled thing, and are crtical of losing several years in a row.

Believe me, I remember the bad QB play for the past few years. It's been excruciating. But, I really don't think fans get over having two Hall-of-Famers in a row and I think the fact that people still bring up Montana and Young is proof of that.
Nice campaign poster. If this were an election, Hill wins the starting nod in a landslide. But, I don't think Singletary is going to run this thing like a democracy.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone