There are 207 users in the forums

Levi's Stadium pics and info...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
It's not that wide..just go drive by and look

• 91til
  • Veteran
Not to open a can of worms (not that anyone's going to respond to me because i have like 8 posts) but, sometimes I still can't believe San Francisco LOST the 49ers. As a native San Franciscan, albeit I'm only 23, I've been watching this team since the age of 7 and I know the history... And I just can't believe our politicians are that f**king stupid and careless that they would really lose my favorite team. I know we're getting this great new stadium but thinking about how the team's moving out of the city still makes me really sad =(
Originally posted by 91til:
Not to open a can of worms (not that anyone's going to respond to me because i have like 8 posts) but, sometimes I still can't believe San Francisco LOST the 49ers. As a native San Franciscan, albeit I'm only 23, I've been watching this team since the age of 7 and I know the history... And I just can't believe our politicians are that f**king stupid and careless that they would really lose my favorite team. I know we're getting this great new stadium but thinking about how the team's moving out of the city still makes me really sad =(

It could have been worse. It could have been the Los Angeles 49ers playing in Famer's Field

The writing was on the wall for San Francisco, especially since the team moved its HQ to Santa Clara in 88 and the failed stadium deal in 97 didn't help.

It's all SF's fault. They had so much time to get a deal done, they took the 49ers for granted. Can't blame the niners for wanting a new stadium ASAP.

Its really not a big deal. The 49ers have always belonged to the entire San Francisco Bay Area, which encompasses a large area. The vast majority of the 49ers fanbase lives in the south bay, and has been driving up to SF for years and years.

It makes a ton of sense to move the team to where the HQ is located, where all the fans live, and where they can get the stadium they deserve.

I can see how people who live in SF arent thrilled about the move, but its selfish to be upset about it. All they did was relocate to a better location in the same area.

The city of SF had 2 decades to make the 49ers a priority, and because their finances are a mess, and they refused to offer a better location than a toxic waste naval yard in the ghetto, they lost the team.

The city still has the Giants, playing in a relatively new ballpark which also happens to be the best stadium in baseball, and they are getting the Warriors back. Its hard to feel bad for San Francisco.
Access to and from the Santa Clara location will be a thousand times more convienent than any of the possible locations in San Francisco. Not to much the wheather is a lot better in Santa Clara as well. The city of San Francisco did us all a favor. Just talking about the new stadium gets me excited for the season to start!
Not a big soccer fan, couldn't even name one team, so on a serious note, if there are soccer games that get played at Levi's, what time of the year is that?
[ Edited by CWin4949 on May 18, 2014 at 1:28 PM ]
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Not a big soccer fan, couldn't even name one team, so on a serious note, if there are soccer games that get played at Levi's, what time of the year is that?

English Premier League runs from August through May. I would imagine that the other European leagues are not much different.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by goodthings19:

English Premier League runs from August through May. I would imagine that the other European leagues are not much different.

Very big Chelsea fan here . The MLS is pretty much the only league to run from March - November -- every other major league in the world is on the August - May schedule to accommodate for the world cup and because their countries don't really get snow during their "winter". I admittedly don't care about the Central and South American leagues and because they like the MLS are in the CONCACAF, may also run on a March to November schedule or something similar.

Why are we discussing soccer by the way? Yes matches can be played at Levi's but if I remember correctly they (mm and other beat writers) wrote that Levi's couldn't be included in any potential World Cup bid because the field of Levi's is not wide enough to allow for a regulation FIFA match.
[ Edited by sfout on May 18, 2014 at 4:31 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:

Very big Chelsea fan here . The MLS is pretty much the only league to run from March - November -- every other major league in the world is on the August - May schedule to accommodate for the world cup and because their countries don't really get snow during their "winter". I admittedly don't care about the Central and South American leagues and because they like the MLS are in the CONCACAF, may also run on a March to November schedule or something similar.

Why are we discussing soccer by the way? Yes matches can be played at Levi's but if I remember correctly they (mm and other beat writers) wrote that Levi's couldn't be included in any potential World Cup bid because the field of Levi's is not wide enough to allow for a regulation FIFA match.

I never saw anything like that about not hosting World Cup matches. It's plenty wide enough. Maximum width for a FIFA field is 80 yards. Minimum is 70. There's plenty of room at Levi's for the full 80 yards.

So that's pretty much the prime time for Great America, is that going to create scheduling issues?
There's a section in this article that Levis can't host world cup matches because the field isn't wide enough.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/05/stadium-nearly-complete-49ers-hoping-for-green-and-gold.html
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
There's a section in this article that Levis can't host world cup matches because the field isn't wide enough.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/05/stadium-nearly-complete-49ers-hoping-for-green-and-gold.html

good!

theres no point in putting the fans further away just because we may or may not host a world cup match in the next 50 years.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

good!

theres no point in putting the fans further away just because we may or may not host a world cup match in the next 50 years.

Agreed. This stadium is a true tribute to football first and foremost. Much rather it be designed to bring the fans as close as possible to ensure almost everyone has a good seat, is up close to the action and that the Bay Area will be in contention to host more Super Bowls for years to come.

Good find, but I actually think that is false. An nfl field is 53 yards wide. Add in the sideline width, plus the width of the tarps on both sides and there would be plenty of area needed for the minimum width of a FIFA international field, which is 70 yards. I'm gonna try and do some research on this to see what I can find, other than this article.

From wiki:

The stadium is also designed to meet the FIFA field geometry requirements for international soccer, which will allow it to host international friendly matches and major tournaments such as the FIFA World Cup.

From the HNTB site:

When completed in 2014 as a design-build project, it will be more than just a football facility. It has been designed as an expandable “outdoor entertainment venue,” created with a variety of experiences in mind, including Major League Soccer and World Cup events.
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on May 18, 2014 at 6:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone