LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Reasons for an Alex Smith breakout season.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Guys, we didn't resign Alex to sit on the bench and be a backup. Oh and Smith is being paid more than Hill. You think that's an accident? You think they are going to pay Smith twice as much as Hill to be the backup when they could have released him with little trouble.

Alex Smith is our starter.

With that logic, Brandon Jones is going to start over Issac Bruce as our #1 receiver, because he's being paid more.

Originally posted by boomer49er:
Guys, we didn't resign Alex to sit on the bench and be a backup. Oh and Smith is being paid more than Hill. You think that's an accident? You think they are going to pay Smith twice as much as Hill to be the backup when they could have released him with little trouble.

Alex Smith is our starter.

Actually you are right. We Didn't resign Smith to be a backup. We resigned Smith so he wouldn't kill us this year with his salary, and wont kill our cap next year when we release him. The only reason Smith is making more $$ is because Condon knew darn well that he had us between a rock and a hard spot. We had no choice but to pay Smith a little more if we wanted to avoide paying him a LOT more.

Boomer, I don't get your thinking on this, especially in light of the failed warner acquisition. I had great hope for Smith as well. I was positive the kid was going to be our next latest and greatest, but the facts are that this kid is ruined, like David Carr is ruined, like Tim Couch was ruined etc.
Posts like that one saying Smith is our starter shows the depth of ignorance of many fans.
Originally posted by ezrider:
Posts like that one saying Smith is our starter shows the depth of ignorance of many fans.

Couldn't have said it better myself...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Smith wins the competition and plays well. If he does it again next year, he get's a nice 5-6 year extension.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by ezrider:

Couldn't have said it better myself...

I could probably say it a little better. If you dont like the post dont write. That seems to make the most sense to me.
"Sense"????? and you say Smith will be our starter?

WHAT???????

NEWS FLASH:
Alex Smith has undergone a full frontal lobotomy in order to implant NATURAL INSTINCTS. The surgery was performed by Dr. York and it is unknown if Alex's painfully slow decision making has been improved by the surgery. Shaun Hill attended and administered the anesthesia. Zak Keasey held his hand and read to him from "My Pet Goat"
I think Hill is the starter, but I also think most fans have given up too quickly on Alex Smith. I'm not going to re-hash all the reasons, but I don't think the book is totally closed on Alex Smith just yet.
Ya that theory didn't make to much sense lol

I just personally don't see Sing benching Shaun after playing so well when he took over; Alex can still get a shot if Shaun plays bad and thats the only chance he will have, but right now its Shaun's job to lose.
Reasons for alex to breakout:

1. Every dog has its day.
2. The sun shines on a dog's #$% every once in a while.
3. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.
4. Cocaine.
5. If you toss enough pooh against the wall some of it will stick.

Hill>Huard>Simth
[ Edited by babbabooey on Apr 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM ]
LOL.. really?
For you Alex Smith fans (from today's SF Chron):

"Alex Smith went through a stretch of misfiring three straight passes to fullback Moran Norris, and then two mis-throws to Dominique Zeigler."

Looks like our man still has trouble hitting the broad side of a barn...
Alex Smith.....FTW!
Originally posted by billbird2111:
For you Alex Smith fans (from today's SF Chron):

"Alex Smith went through a stretch of misfiring three straight passes to fullback Moran Norris, and then two mis-throws to Dominique Zeigler."

Looks like our man still has trouble hitting the broad side of a barn...

Not worried at all. It's June.

Off days happen. Shaun Hill has a lot of them in practice.

He has 2-3 months to get in the swing of things.
Share 49ersWebzone