LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Your reason (right here) why both the Hill and Smith threads were locked.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Smith2Davis:
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Originally posted by DROB:
I can see Huard getting the #2 spot; just behind Hill and ahead of Smith...
WTF are you talking about one year contract means #3 QB

This is WTF I'm talking about...

Based off of their stats this will be the starting lineup.

#1 Hill (Career PR 90.5, Completions 64%, TD/Start 1.8)
#2 Huard (Career PR 80.6, Completions 60.7%, TD/Start 1.2)
#3 Smith (Career PR 63.5, Completions 54.4%, TD/Start 0.63)

That IS the way it should be but I think they will still give Alex a false headstart because he was THEIR draft pick and they want to justify that bad pick back in 2005...
-------------
I wrote this in another thread...

Is Huard getting a chance to compete for the #2 QB spot behind Hill ? He is obviously the 2nd best QB on the roster at this time. Just because the Niners drafted Smith at #1 in 2005 and they are still hoping he finally comes around and somewhat justifies that pick,does that mean he automatically is moved ahead of the better performer on the field during their careers (Huard). ( take that Indy,lol )

Either way Huard has no future here and he is a 36 year old career back up so I don't get your beef. You seem to hate Smith so bad you'll even root for Damon Huard, and Smith in 06 was decent, so that's kinda pathetic. I mean dude, there's a reason Huard has never done anything. Huard has never started more than 12 games in a season and has only started more than 8 or more games twice. Sorry but he's a 36 year old journeyman QB who has no future here and has never proven anything really.

LOL, you talk about hating Smith so bad that someone will resort to rooting for Damon Huard. Did you know Smith's best season was still well below Huard's career averages?

Huard (Career PR 80.6, Completions 60.7%, TD/Start 1.2)
Smith in 2006 (2006 PR 74.8, Completions 2006 = 58.1 TD/Start 2006 = 1.0)

I think you may have it backwards (with the Smith hate line above)... Your homer factor appears to be skewing your view of Smith's performance.

It doesn't matter. The fact is, you are talking about A 36 YR OLD JOURNEYMAN WITH NO FUTURE HERE. Sorry, the guy is no Kurt Warner or someone who can come in and make you a contender for 2 years. He doesn't have a future here. He hasn't had a great career at all/ The guy is not even a Kerry Collins. The point to this competition is seeing if one of Hill or Smith have what it takes to be our QB for a few years. Hill is 29 years old, Smith 25. If we're lucky Smith's shoulder is back to normal, and he's learned from sitting the bench, and he can come in and be a better QB than before, or Hill can be a better QB. We're not hoping Smith starts just because we want him to start. They're hoping he's learned and can be a decent QB. And yes if they both absolutely blow chunks and Huard plays okay, he will get the job. But hoping Huard beats out 1 of them is ridiculous unless you're Huard himself or a relative of his. That is absolutely NOT what's in the best interest of this franchise, and the player Damon Huard is makes it very unlikely that will happen.
Smith definitely looks the part now. About time he put on weight. Seems a lot more mature and direct when talking instead of his previous, "aw shucks look to the ground" thing. Maybe it was out of fear of Nolan.

Hill looks like he's trimmed his gut...hopefully that helps him.

Cant wait for training camp. All of this stuff is mickey mouse stuff compared to that.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
I actually never really thought Huard would get a real shot at being the #2 QB this year. I was just poking some of the Smith worshipers in the ribs and messing with them.

Huard actually is a much better performer on the field and actually looks much more like an NFL QB than Smith ever has. I would trust Huard more than I would smith to come into a game where the starter ( Hill ) was injured and NOT mess ity all up.
But in reality the Niners want to see if smith will ever come out of his mediocre doldrums and show some sort of indication that he can someday be a good backup QB ion this League. So I never expected Huard to be anything more than a 3rd QB (and if we draft another QB,as I hope we do,then Huard will probably be let go...,unless Alex is still a total disaster and no matter how much they wish good for the kid they just cannot put him an injury away from being their starter.In that case Huard might just stick and Alex might be let go. But I hope alex is not still THAT bad )
Neither Hill nor Smith excite the crap out of me at QB but neither of them acted like prima-donnas when the 49ERS were courting Kurt Warner as we just saw from Jay Cutler. Both are team first type of players. While I have come to believe that Smith has been a mediocre QB from his previous play I think that it is possible that he could still surprise me. I will be interested to see how accurate his throws will be after having two shoulder injuries. I think that Hill has the edge at this point and that Smith will clearly have to look much better in the coming months in Mike Singletary's eyes to get the starting position. I think that Singletary will be very fair and thorough in his evaluations of the QB's. Let the competiton begin.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Mar 21, 2009 at 3:57 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
Neither Hill nor Smith excite the crap out of me at QB but neither of them acted like prima-donnas when the 49ERS were courting Kurt Warner as we just saw from Jay Cutler. Both are team first type of players. While I have come to believe that Smith has been a mediocre QB from his previous play I think that it is possible that he could still surprise me. I will be interested to see how accurate his throws will be after having two shoulder injuries. I think that Hill has the edge at this point and that Smith will clearly have to look much better in the coming months in Mike Singletary's eyes to get the starting position. I think that Singletary will be very fair and thorough in his evaluations of the QB's. Let the competiton begin.

Agreed.

I also think Smith should have to work hard X2 to be even considered for the starting position. He should have the best training camp of his short career IMO to even have a shot. Im talking he better "WOW" the coaches and players. Im sure he'll be "good" but to beat out Hill, he'd better be spectacular.

Til then...Hill deserves to start.
What Comp Hill should be the immediate starter with Smith learning in the wings.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Does it really matter who we acquire on offense unless it's a superstar player? I mean, does it really matter that we got Moran Norris back?

The only reason why we haven't amounted to crap since 2004 is because we haven't had a competent QB or insert a competent QB too late into the season.

This is why I am not wanting any QB competition. Let the guy who has proven it suck before we replace him.

lol!
Smith looked very fast and aggressive on his drop back and actually showed a hitch in his forward step, which gives rhythm on a throw.

I was impressed.
Smith looked very fast and aggressive on his drop back and actually showed a hitch in his forward step, which gives rhythm on a throw.

I was impressed.

His footwork looks good IMO and he looks faster but its still only mini camp. I'll let him prove it in a preseason game or at the least TC before being impressed. Till then I like Hill as the starter still.

I was impressed.

His footwork looks good IMO and he looks faster but its still only mini camp. I'll let him prove it in a preseason game or at the least TC before being impressed. Till then I like Hill as the starter still.

Yeah, I forgot, it's only practice. Alex usually looks like a star in practice.

I was impressed.

Yeah, I forgot, it's only practice. Alex usually looks like a star in practice.

and that Hill always looks like doodoo in practice
So far, there is no competition: Hill with the 1's and Alex with the 2's in minicamp.
Did i just read in Barrow's blog that Huard was cut?
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Originally posted by DROB:
I can see Huard getting the #2 spot; just behind Hill and ahead of Smith...
WTF are you talking about one year contract means #3 QB

This is WTF I'm talking about...

Based off of their stats this will be the starting lineup.

#1 Hill (Career PR 90.5, Completions 64%, TD/Start 1.8)
#2 Huard (Career PR 80.6, Completions 60.7%, TD/Start 1.2)
#3 Smith (Career PR 63.5, Completions 54.4%, TD/Start 0.63)

That IS the way it should be but I think they will still give Alex a false headstart because he was THEIR draft pick and they want to justify that bad pick back in 2005...
-------------
I wrote this in another thread...

Is Huard getting a chance to compete for the #2 QB spot behind Hill ? He is obviously the 2nd best QB on the roster at this time. Just because the Niners drafted Smith at #1 in 2005 and they are still hoping he finally comes around and somewhat justifies that pick,does that mean he automatically is moved ahead of the better performer on the field during their careers (Huard). ( take that Indy,lol )

Either way Huard has no future here and he is a 36 year old career back up so I don't get your beef. You seem to hate Smith so bad you'll even root for Damon Huard, and Smith in 06 was decent, so that's kinda pathetic. I mean dude, there's a reason Huard has never done anything. Huard has never started more than 12 games in a season and has only started more than 8 or more games twice. Sorry but he's a 36 year old journeyman QB who has no future here and has never proven anything really.

LOL, you talk about hating Smith so bad that someone will resort to rooting for Damon Huard. Did you know Smith's best season was still well below Huard's career averages?

Huard (Career PR 80.6, Completions 60.7%, TD/Start 1.2)
Smith in 2006 (2006 PR 74.8, Completions 2006 = 58.1 TD/Start 2006 = 1.0)

I think you may have it backwards (with the Smith hate line above)... Your homer factor appears to be skewing your view of Smith's performance.

It doesn't matter. The fact is, you are talking about A 36 YR OLD JOURNEYMAN WITH NO FUTURE HERE. Sorry, the guy is no Kurt Warner or someone who can come in and make you a contender for 2 years. He doesn't have a future here. He hasn't had a great career at all/ The guy is not even a Kerry Collins. The point to this competition is seeing if one of Hill or Smith have what it takes to be our QB for a few years. Hill is 29 years old, Smith 25. If we're lucky Smith's shoulder is back to normal, and he's learned from sitting the bench, and he can come in and be a better QB than before, or Hill can be a better QB. We're not hoping Smith starts just because we want him to start. They're hoping he's learned and can be a decent QB. And yes if they both absolutely blow chunks and Huard plays okay, he will get the job. But hoping Huard beats out 1 of them is ridiculous unless you're Huard himself or a relative of his. That is absolutely NOT what's in the best interest of this franchise, and the player Damon Huard is makes it very unlikely that will happen.

Hey, I never said Huard could do all the things you posted above. I only said that based off of their stats he is better then Alex. If we are going off of past performances Huard should be out #2 and Alex our #3...

I do agree that Huard has more than likely already played his best football and Smith has sucked so bad he has a lot of room to improvement... I never said that I root for the guy or hope he beats out anybody. I've said that based off of past performances and stats Huard should be the #2.

If you wish to argue this, then please provide some facts that indicate where Smith has been better on the Football field.
Share 49ersWebzone