There are 278 users in the forums

Why hasn't Roman been cut yet?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
dont wanna see him play
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tidissis08:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Now that Lewis has been cut, he'll probably take his place on special teams and be the primary BACK-UP at FS and SS.

......or he could be cut in the upcoming weeks.

He can be a pretty good leader and help younger players. But I really don't want to see him start.

As much of a critic I've been of Roman this past year, I agree, he can be a veteran that can help Reggie Smith and the draftees or undraftees.
Now that Lewis has been cut, he'll probably take his place on special teams and be the primary BACK-UP at FS and SS.

He can be a pretty good leader and help younger players. But I really don't want to see him start.

As much of a critic I've been of Roman this past year, I agree, he can be a veteran that can help Reggie Smith and the draftees or undraftees.

Word, but my feelings wouldn't be hurt if he was let go.
Don't cut roman. The man has started for like 5 or so years. he is a quality backup. But JTO needs to get the f*ck out of here.
Originally posted by fan49:
He is prolly the worst free safety or close too we have ever had. whens the last time he got a pick? and he is a free safety, thats his main requirement to get picks.

[Sorry, the whole capital "O" thing was getting to me. And while I was in there I decided that I would add your missing apostrophe in "hasn't." Just lookin' out]
Haha ducking oscar. You do realize you are maddogs favorite mod right now?
cuz he swallows
Originally posted by Goofball:
Originally posted by Area49nevada:
Relax, we just signed Jimmy Williams again, so John Keith can't be far behind.
Seriously, he was a promising safety before 2 serious injuries derailed his career.

Trivia Question: Who was the other CB who played with Jimmy Williams(the former) in college who was 1 of the 3 consecutive db's picked at the top of the draft by the Packers who blew out both knees playing pick-up basketball games.

Must answer from your own memory without use of the internet or old annuals.

Hint; only the 3rd round pick was not a bust.

Predicted winner: British9er

Craig Newsome? Wait....Tai Streets?

IS It the guy they traded for Ahman Green played at Vandy? Vinson or Vincent something like that.
  • nekst
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MADMIKE:
To clarify those are last years stats and total tackles which count assists as 1 tkl.
If you go by solo tackles roman had 39 in 16 starts while mike adams had 36 in 5 starts while playing in 14 games.

Roman has 1 int in 3 years in sf
in 2005 starting 10 games Adams had 4 ints taking one back for a TD.

I would take Adams over Roman any day. Its sad when other teams backups are better than our starter. How can some of you defend this guy?

Sure, you can pick and choose which stats you want to look at. But go back and look at some game tape and you'll see Mike Adams missing tackles (and giving up scores). Mark Roman is a far better ::overall:: FS than Mike Adams ever was.

I still have nightmares where we rely on Mike Adams to tackle Brian Westbrook.
  • nekst
  • Info N/A
Here is why:

"[49ers Secondary Coach - Johnnie] Lynn said a lot of responsibility is placed on the 49ers' safeties to make adjustments based on the defense called and the formation the offense shows at the line of scrimmage. He gave a lot of credit to free safety Mark Roman for making the proper adjustments."

Link #1

"One final thought on safety Mark Roman that we'll carry over from the previous blog . . .

We see the occasional plays in which Roman gets beat, but there is nothing that we see to offsets that. He has not had an interception in more than two seasons, so we only remember the bad. Mike Singletary has already said he will be looking to find an upgrade at safety, and that should come as no surprise.

But this might surprise you: The 49ers surrendered 33 pass plays of 20 yards or more this season. The 49ers were tied for second in the league in that category for the fewest "explosive plays" given up. The club ranked 29th in the league in 2007 and tied for 21st in 2006.

It would've been impossible for the 49ers' pass defense to fare that well without Roman doing his job more often than not."

Link #2

So your pretty much saying "the worst players make the better coaches"? If thats the case he shouldnt wear a uniform and just coach. AND what do we have coaches for?

You guys are acutally making a case for Mark Roman staying? How far we have fallen

[ Edited by shobbrobb49 on Feb 12, 2009 at 08:51:02 ]
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
He'll become a "free" safety as soon as the 49ers put him on waivers.

It's simple

Roman has pictures of Nolan and John York at the Power Exchange followed by a jaunt to the Trannyshack before it closed.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dmbgeek87:
The reason Roman hasn't gotten cut yet is because we don't have a starter at the position besides Roman.

Don't get rid of somebody if you don't have a replacement lined up. The love for Goldson runs almost as deep as Killah Keith Lewis on the board.
Do you guys remember that Mark Roman was picked up off waivers? And has performed like it....Look at us most of the rhetoric on the board is about players who dont perform for a chronically losing team, How can anyone want to keep players who dont perform.You dont keep a player because he can teach something to an incoming player if that was the case Nobody would get cut. Very ridiculous rationale.
Share 49ersWebzone