LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Frank Gore HOF?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Frank Gore HOF?

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Ray Lewis stole Frank's automatic first ballot HOF by winning SB47 just so he can ride off into the sunset for murdering someone & using deer antler spray.

#ThanksGoodell&Bogert

I still remember the play late where he broke loose and I remember thinking holy bleep we are actually winning the Super Bowl. We didn't pull it off but still proud those guys fought back they were down 28-6 at one point.
Originally posted by jcs:
Why is this even a question? Gore is the #3 all time NFL rushing leader.

Every guy in the top 10 is either in the HOF or going to be joining Gore there soon. (AD)

I am completely embarrassed and ashamed I didn't know that. You are absolutely correct, and should be 1st ballot.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
He should go in on his ability to play that long after ACL surgery to both knees in college. If he had played for at least one SB winner it wouldn't even be a question. Unfortunately a lot of voters didn't see him play a lot in his prime years because he played on the west coast. I still think he'll get in. To me he was a lot like Emmitt Smith. Not spectacular but durable and reliable.

Yeah, when Gore was truly world class dominant, nobody saw him play.

Then he was robbed of championships when he was still really good, Harbaugh years.

But the bottom line is this :

Top 3 all time rushing, all these seasons played, didn't miss much time to injury. At a position they say never to draft, or that RBs die after 30, Gore is the crazy exception (not even bringing up his ACLs preceding his career!).

Just think of all these hot shot RBs that had their few years of shine since Gore entered the league: Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, all long gone. I remember trying to compare Gore to Leveon Bell for his vision back before Bell acted a fool and sat out a season, and was criticized for even comparing the two. Now Bell is a worthless bum, with barely any more juice than Gore. Saquon Barkley the greatest college RB since Bo Jackson probably (at least by the physical specimen standpoint), and now looks like a bust of a career. Derrick Henry? How many more seasons will he be a force before he's done?

Jonathan Taylor? Nick Chubb? Ezekiel Elliot?

My point here is all the fantasy people who have such love for all these guys mentioned, would never consider Gore a great back and yet for a career he had an amazing one. None of these guys mentioned above are projected for a gold jacket.

Only other RB active in recent years that will get one is Adrian Peterson. That's it, unless I'm missing someone.
Originally posted by English:
Yes. And Roger.

Roger deserves to be in.

The only knock on him is statistically he didn't play long enough for this to be an automatic non issue.

The big argument is that he changed the game.....paved the way for a Marshall Faulk. Much like Rice was putting up huge receiving stats when passing wasn't anywhere close to it now, Marino doing the same......that 1,000/1,000 in '85 is a big deal compared to when Faulk did it in late '90s.

Very solid RB. Two TDs in SB 19, and a big contributor in the other seasons. 3 ring pedigree....

Really sucks about his knee. That was the difference between the 49ers advancing in 1990 versus the Giants......and his career not lasting much longer after that.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
HOF ??

I never considered him a SHOE IN or FIRST BALLOT...
Originally posted by jcs:
Why is this even a question? Gore is the #3 all time NFL rushing leader.

Every guy in the top 10 is either in the HOF or going to be joining Gore there soon. (AD)

You could go further. The top 16 are in the HOF or likely will be (AP I assume will get in).

If Curtis Martin, Edgerrin James, and Thurman Thomas are in Gore is worthy. Especially Martin he wasn't really an intimidating player one excuse I've heard against Gore.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
He should go in on his ability to play that long after ACL surgery to both knees in college. If he had played for at least one SB winner it wouldn't even be a question. Unfortunately a lot of voters didn't see him play a lot in his prime years because he played on the west coast. I still think he'll get in. To me he was a lot like Emmitt Smith. Not spectacular but durable and reliable.

Yeah, when Gore was truly world class dominant, nobody saw him play.

Then he was robbed of championships when he was still really good, Harbaugh years.

But the bottom line is this :

Top 3 all time rushing, all these seasons played, didn't miss much time to injury. At a position they say never to draft, or that RBs die after 30, Gore is the crazy exception (not even bringing up his ACLs preceding his career!).

Just think of all these hot shot RBs that had their few years of shine since Gore entered the league: Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, all long gone. I remember trying to compare Gore to Leveon Bell for his vision back before Bell acted a fool and sat out a season, and was criticized for even comparing the two. Now Bell is a worthless bum, with barely any more juice than Gore. Saquon Barkley the greatest college RB since Bo Jackson probably (at least by the physical specimen standpoint), and now looks like a bust of a career. Derrick Henry? How many more seasons will he be a force before he's done?

Jonathan Taylor? Nick Chubb? Ezekiel Elliot?

My point here is all the fantasy people who have such love for all these guys mentioned, would never consider Gore a great back and yet for a career he had an amazing one. None of these guys mentioned above are projected for a gold jacket.

Only other RB active in recent years that will get one is Adrian Peterson. That's it, unless I'm missing someone.

Gone's early years remind me of Walter Payton- putting up crazy numbers on terrible teams. Payton's early career numbers eclipse Gore's, but even those Bear teams were better than the 49ers the first 6 years of Gore's career.

I never thought a modern 49er would be up there with the heros of my childhood, but Gore did it. He absolutely is a Hall of Famer.
Yes.
Gore? No. How many rushing titles did he win? Zero. How many times did he lead the league in TD's? Zero. How many Super Bowl wins did he carry his team to? Zero. Even playoff wins? Maybe 5? He made the Pro Bowl 5 times...in 16 seasons. Not one year was he ever THE best running back in the league.

He played a lot of seasons, no doubt. He stayed healthy when a LOT of people didn't think he could, after his knee injuries in college. But it's the Hall Of FAME - not the hall of longevity or the hall of very good.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Gore? No. How many rushing titles did he win? Zero. How many times did he lead the league in TD's? Zero. How many Super Bowl wins did he carry his team to? Zero. Even playoff wins? Maybe 5? He made the Pro Bowl 5 times...in 16 seasons. Not one year was he ever THE best running back in the league.

He played a lot of seasons, no doubt. He stayed healthy when a LOT of people didn't think he could, after his knee injuries in college. But it's the Hall Of FAME - not the hall of longevity or the hall of very good.

The closest case I can think of that is somewhat similar in Charlie Joiner, though Joiner did make an All-Pro team and finished number 1 in every significant category for receivers when he retired.

Sad thing is I think Curtis Martin beat him by one or two yards in 2006 for the rushing title.

With that said, I say both Roger and Frank deserve it, BUT I'd put Craig in over Gore inspite of the numbers and longevity. Craig is part of the story of the NFL and a key part of one of the greatest dynasties. His ascension as a a more featured part of the passing game (as well as addition of Rice) took the West Coast Offense to another level.

• 91til
  • Veteran
Frank Gore will be in the hall of fame and it's crazy to me that people on a 49ers forum don't think he should make it

I also really don't understand when people devalue Frank's longevity like it's not as impressive as leading the league in TDs or yards in a particular year. You know who had an amazing year one time? f**king Peyton Hillis.
Gore in his prime I would argue was actually better than his stats would even indicate. He was in a lot of not very creative offenses and not very good teams. Even still he has the numbers. Not even borderline numbers either. The numbers say he should make it and by the eye test IMO he was better than the numbers. He wasn't the flashiest, but he was a great, great player. He was a running back's running back. Every single aspect other than top end speed, he was top notch. His style, his toughness, his vision, burst, tackle breaking, the way he could work angles in the secondary, he even had the clutch factor. I don't understand how a 49ers fan could actually say he doesn't deserve it 🤦🏻‍♂️
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

The closest case I can think of that is somewhat similar in Charlie Joiner, though Joiner did make an All-Pro team and finished number 1 in every significant category for receivers when he retired.

Sad thing is I think Curtis Martin beat him by one or two yards in 2006 for the rushing title.

With that said, I say both Roger and Frank deserve it, BUT I'd put Craig in over Gore inspite of the numbers and longevity. Craig is part of the story of the NFL and a key part of one of the greatest dynasties. His ascension as a a more featured part of the passing game (as well as addition of Rice) took the West Coast Offense to another level.

In 2006, he was 3rd in rushing. Behind LT and Larry Johnson. He was 120 yards behind LT...but 20 fewer TD's! And that was the closest he ever got to a rushing title.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

In 2006, he was 3rd in rushing. Behind LT and Larry Johnson. He was 120 yards behind LT...but 20 fewer TD's! And that was the closest he ever got to a rushing title.

How could I forget. That was the year the Chargers should have won. I thought it was Curtis Martin that beat him out but I'm a year off.
Easily imo. Take a look at the lists of all-time leading rushers and then all-time yards from scrimmage. He's surrounded and ahead of soooo many other Hall of Famers how can he not be inducted? How is the 3rd all time leading rusher, and 4th all time yards from scrimmage at this time left out? He has more yards from scrimmage than TO and Randy Moss and Marshall Faulk and LaDanian Tomlinson and Barry Sanders and the list goes on. Once again How? For those saying no, screw you dumb argument of "impact", based solely on stats, HOW do you keep him out?
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 1, 2022 at 9:55 AM ]
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
Originally posted by WINiner:
Easily imo. Take a look at the lists of all-time leading rushers and then all-time yards from scrimmage. He's surrounded and ahead of soooo many other Hall of Famers how can he not be inducted? How is the 3rd all time leading rusher, and 4th all time yards from scrimmage at this time left out? He has more yards from scrimmage than TO and Randy Moss and Marshall Faulk and LaDanian Tomlinson and Barry Sanders and the list goes on. Once again How? For those saying no, screw you dumb argument of "impact", based solely on stats, HOW do you keep him out?

You don't
Share 49ersWebzone