LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

RIP- John Madden

Shop 49ers game tickets
Sucks. One more reminder that life is a short journey. Nothing lasts forever, but his impact will last for generations.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

I rewatched this clip among many others after the news broke. Don't even know where to start… but I would not be the football fan that I am today were it not for John Madden. That clip in particular cuts off about 7 seconds too soon, because he had a great quote that followed "that's the high of winning and the low of losing"

Having a game called by Summerall and Madden just felt special, and you knew you were in for 3 great hours as a viewer.

RIP, John Madden.

Here ya go m8. About 2:04:20 this starts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRZVnhHp_8o
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Dec 29, 2021 at 5:41 AM ]
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Truly a great Coach, A great Broadcaster and a great Icon in the gaming community ! He'll always be a Legend to every football fan that got to ,see ,hear or play Madden RIP Coach Madden, you'll be missed but always remembered !!!!
He was fantastic for the NFL, no doubt about it. From diagramming how to carve a turducken to the movement of pigeons on the field, you never knew what he was going to say or do next. Always entertaining. Also remember how excited I was to get the new version of Madden NFL to play against friends to the superbowl. Started with Tecmobowl but shifted to his games when they came around. We got spoiled with Summerall and Madden commentating on the games. Some of the feeds I get for 49er games don't have any audio, and I don't even care for most games today.
Time flies, wasn't aware he was 85 already. Everybody knows his names means football.
Wish the videogame franchise with his name wasn't as crappy as it is today
Perhaps I'm weird. Wait, I know I'm weird. But, to be honest with all of you, the moment that FOX began to promote the special about John Madden on Christmas Day, the first thought that ran through my mind was: "oh crap, John must be near death." Maybe that's just the way my mind works. I'm not sure. But that is the first thing that came to mind the first time FOX did this John Madden promotion.

I was just a kid when Madden was coaching the Raiders. But, even then, he was a joy to watch on the sidelines. He could be as entertaining as the game itself. Later, after he left the Raiders and started doing those Lite Beer from Miller commercials, he set another standard. The first time he burst through a wall at the end of one of those commercials to say the line "and another thing," my brother and I busted out laughing. We had never seen anything like it before. Those commercials seem tame now, but at the time, it was a riot Even my mother, who was not a football fan in the slightest, would chuckle at the sight of John Madden breaking down a faux wall.

I don't know if many of you listened to John's broadcasts on KCBS Radio in SF after his retirement in 2009. He did phone calls every Friday to preview the weekend NFL games. They were nothing more than phone calls that had been recorded, but they were an absolute joy to listen to. KCBS would run that tape again and again and again on Friday and Saturday.

I can't remember when those taped phone conversations stopped, but it wasn't very long ago. I remember thinking then that he had become difficult to hear. His final years must have been heartbreaking for his family.

Short and simple: John Madden changed the face of NFL Football forever. I loved the man. I always will.
Originally posted by ltrain:
He was fantastic for the NFL, no doubt about it. From diagramming how to carve a turducken to the movement of pigeons on the field, you never knew what he was going to say or do next. Always entertaining. Also remember how excited I was to get the new version of Madden NFL to play against friends to the superbowl. Started with Tecmobowl but shifted to his games when they came around. We got spoiled with Summerall and Madden commentating on the games. Some of the feeds I get for 49er games don't have any audio, and I don't even care for most games today.

They were the perfect match. The bombastic Madden and the laid back Summerall. The only thing close was the old Monday night crew with the opinionated Howard Cosell and the quiet Frank Gifford mixed in with crazy Don Meredith.
BOOOOOOOM! Legend!
Frank Caliendo should do the eulogy. John would appreciate that.

I will never forget the time John circled a hot dog in the stands. Loved him. RIP John.
Had fun playing your games.

Sucked watching you kiss the 90's Cowboys' linemen' ass throughout.
Just watched All-Madden, it was almost like a goodbye gift to the fans of football.
Share 49ersWebzone