LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

Head coaching candidates 2022

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by rockzz:
wow, imagine him being a HC with a loaded squad. Vikings anyone?

If Payton coaches anywhere else other than NO next year, it will be in Dallas.
Originally posted by evil:

Kind of surprising. I figure they'd run it back with a healthy Winston.

they have Austin waiting in the wings...

Yep, that is probably the case.
Florio is pushing Payton to the Cowboys for a while now (probably trying to sell more copies of his book, but where there's smoke...)

"Unnamed sources tell Rapoport it's "unlikely" that Payton would coach another team in 2022. Instead, it would be (per Rapoport) a "mini-retirement" after an "incredibly challenging and difficult" season."

Despite the characterization from Rapoport that it's "unlikely" Payton would coach elsewhere in 2022, he still could. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, for example, could decide that Mike McCarthy has taken the franchise as far as he can, and that the only way to get to the next level would be to land one of the handful of great NFL coaches.

Jones nearly got Payton a few years ago. It came far closer to happening than anyone realizes. The full story is shared in a certain book that will be released on March 15. The reason why it didn't happen will indeed blow your mind.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/23/sean-paytons-future-with-the-saints-becomes-an-issue/
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Just one bad year is all it takes apparently. This is rather late however. I wonder what led to this.

dude had HC interviews a year back too...
Leslie Frazer
Byron Leftwich
Kellen Moore

some names that should not be considered anymore
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Just one bad year is all it takes apparently. This is rather late however. I wonder what led to this.

dude had HC interviews a year back too...

That's pretty crazy. Especially since that defense was injured so much.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Jan 23, 2022 at 7:23 PM ]
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Who is this Wink?

Don "Wink" Martindale the recently fired ex DC of the Ravens.
yeah, but you are talking about him as if he were kind of a former Niner or something like that.

I don't see how I was doing that. He's just a solid DC who probably shouldn't have been fired.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jan 23, 2022 at 8:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Leslie Frazer
Byron Leftwich
Kellen Moore

b/c of 1 game? Good to know. didn't know Kyle never had a bad game either...
Leslie Frazer
Byron Leftwich
Kellen Moore

I don't know about the rest but Frazier's defense has continually feasted on weak offenses and seems to fall apart in big moments against better ones. He already had a run as a HC and it was pretty disappointing. If I was a fan of a team that hired him as HC, I'd feel like they just mailed it in.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Leslie Frazer
Byron Leftwich
Kellen Moore

I don't know about the rest but Frazier's defense has continually feasted on weak offenses and seems to fall apart in big moments against better ones. He already had a run as a HC and it was pretty disappointing. If I was a fan of a team that hired him as HC, I'd feel like they just mailed it in.

I think he gets another job. Denver, Chicago and NYG all have ties to him.
Every Cowboy fan I know is all in on Sean Payton right now. I'll believe it when I see it.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Every Cowboy fan I know is all in on Sean Payton right now. I'll believe it when I see it.

The coach thats had a HOF qb and talent most of the time that hasn't done anything since Katrina?
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by Overkill:

The coach thats had a HOF qb and talent most of the time that hasn't done anything since Katrina?
The coach that had so-called quarterbacks like Winston, Simian and Hill, and yet almost got to the playoffs.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 25, 2022 at 8:28 AM ]

Yep, that is probably the case.
Florio is pushing Payton to the Cowboys for a while now (probably trying to sell more copies of his book, but where there's smoke...)

"Unnamed sources tell Rapoport it's "unlikely" that Payton would coach another team in 2022. Instead, it would be (per Rapoport) a "mini-retirement" after an "incredibly challenging and difficult" season."

Despite the characterization from Rapoport that it's "unlikely" Payton would coach elsewhere in 2022, he still could. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, for example, could decide that Mike McCarthy has taken the franchise as far as he can, and that the only way to get to the next level would be to land one of the handful of great NFL coaches.

Jones nearly got Payton a few years ago. It came far closer to happening than anyone realizes. The full story is shared in a certain book that will be released on March 15. The reason why it didn't happen will indeed blow your mind.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/23/sean-paytons-future-with-the-saints-becomes-an-issue/
If I were a good HC, I would avoid Jerry Jones. On one hand, he was pretty patient with Garrett, on the other hand, McCarthy has to go after that season? Why? No, I would not want to work for such an owner like JJ.
Share 49ersWebzone