LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

Safety Tony Jefferson

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I disagree. I say our fans dislike our safeties more because they follow the team so they know about the lack of "playmaking" from our starters. But the reality is as pass attempts have increased a lot the amount of interceptions has been steadily declining year after year since the beginning of the super bowl era. Our safeties rarely get beaten deep and are not liabilities when tackling after the catch and in a zone defense that's what is asked of them. Would turnovers be good. Hell yes but most if not all QBs can read a safeties drop into coverage by high school especially when they are running C3, C4 and 2 high shells. Not exactly the most complex trap defenses to confuse a QB.

Spot on.
  • Mr711
He's still decent on Madden

good veteran presence
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
If healthy, he's easily an upgrade over what we have.

i think this is the truth

Over who? Tarrt & ward are pretty darn good safeties
Originally posted by Heroism:
I disagree. I say our fans dislike our safeties more because they follow the team so they know about the lack of "playmaking" from our starters. But the reality is as pass attempts have increased a lot the amount of interceptions has been steadily declining year after year since the beginning of the super bowl era. Our safeties rarely get beaten deep and are not liabilities when tackling after the catch and in a zone defense that's what is asked of them. Would turnovers be good. Hell yes but most if not all QBs can read a safeties drop into coverage by high school especially when they are running C3, C4 and 2 high shells. Not exactly the most complex trap defenses to confuse a QB.

Spot on.

Short and sweet version anyone should be able to understand.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

I will say it because I know it's what the stat junkies are thinking, despite Hysterikals explanation, because they don't get the interceptions
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

tarrt is way over rated by the fan base in my opinion. along side of the x center we had and thank god retired
tarrt is way over rated by the fan base in my opinion. along side of the x center we had and thank god retired

Tarrt is a damn good safety...him and Ward are asked to do a ton compared to a lot of S in the league. Both do exactly what are asked of them in this scheme. Ward brought it up if he played the robber role more like other safeties he'd have more turnovers...instead they line him up a ton in man coverage which is amazing for this defense.

I've been watching Richburg is his days in NY, he's a good center and was in SF. I told a lot of people who wanted to sign him, he can't stay healthy. That was his biggest issue.

Totally agree
I will say the clips I've seen of him the past couple weeks training look good...the knee isn't a problem at all
I will say the clips I've seen of him the past couple weeks training look good...the knee isn't a problem at all

He's been training for a while too. He was wearing 9er gear a couple weeks ago so the speculation ended up being realized.

Originally posted by NCommand:

He's been training for a while too. He was wearing 9er gear a couple weeks ago so the speculation ended up being realized.

I saw that number in a 49er jersey and instinctively gagged. But #23 has a new beginning now

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

They're okay, I think Jefferson could easily replace Tartt.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
They're okay, I think Jefferson could easily replace Tartt.

I don't
They know Tartt is not durable and Hufanga is a rookie so this is just a depth move to not depend on the rookie when Tartt gets hurt.

Tartt Is actually understated by this fan base, we all saw what happened to the D In 2019 once he went down for afew games due to Injury.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Tartt Is actually understated by this fan base, we all saw what happened to the D In 2019 once he went down for afew games due to Injury.

Tartt is a solid top 15 SS when healthy. Except he's played an average of 9 games a season over the past 4 years. And instead of giving Moore the starting spot, we opted to resign Tart, signed 2 vet FAs, and drafted a SS/LB hybrid in addition to Harris.

No doubt we'll have 3 safety looks in some of our formations, but our SS starting spot is open to competition. Tartt is a frontrunner, but he's not the de facto starter.
Share 49ersWebzone