LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

Deshaun Watson

Shop 49ers game tickets

Deshaun Watson

Could we even make it work cap wise. With Warner, Williams and Bosa all gonna need top end deals.
Never going to happen. O'Brien is gone and that contract is insanity.

Trade for him and kiss Trent Williams goodbye. Kiss goodbye all the corners we have up for free agency. Probably hand tie us from getting a Warner extension done.

His salary isn't crazy next year but then blows UP in 2022 & 2023.

Just don't see Casserio coming in and trading a proven young QB but who knows...I'd just be shocked to see it happen with us.
Originally posted by English:
The likely cost in terms of picks. The cap hit after the first year, reportedly, is pretty eye watering as well.

Restructure that s**t in 2022.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Could we even make it work cap wise. With Warner, Williams and Bosa all gonna need top end deals.

Absolutely they could.
  • zero
  • Veteran
Whatever it takes. Throw jimmy in there as well.
Originally posted by genus49:
Never going to happen. O'Brien is gone and that contract is insanity.

Trade for him and kiss Trent Williams goodbye. Kiss goodbye all the corners we have up for free agency. Probably hand tie us from getting a Warner extension done.

His salary isn't crazy next year but then blows UP in 2022 & 2023.

Just don't see Casserio coming in and trading a proven young QB but who knows...I'd just be shocked to see it happen with us.

Restructure his deal in 2022. That shirt doesn't matter if you KNOW he's the long-term FQB. Cap is gonna go through the roof with the new TV deals.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Restructure his deal in 2022. That shirt doesn't matter if you KNOW he's the long-term FQB. Cap is gonna go through the roof with the new TV deals.

True I forgot 2022 is when the caps supposed to get a big jump from that. Alright I am removing my hat from the Stafford pile and throwing it into the Watson pile.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Too much.

What is too much?

The likely cost in terms of picks. The cap hit after the first year, reportedly, is pretty eye watering as well.

Well I disagree that the likely cost would be too much for a perennial Pro Bowl QB who just turned 25, but thats just a difference of opinion.

As far as his contract goes, it would be very easy to renegotiate an extension to help that.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jan 7, 2021 at 11:05 AM ]
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Agreed. Plus I'd rather trade up for Zach Wilson if they're trading for a QB.

You would rather trade up for an unproven prospect than trade for a 25 year old perennial Pro Bowler?

When the cost is probably 3 to 4 times a much? Hell yes. The cost to get Watson would torpedo this franchise for a decade.

The idea that it would take 3 or 4 TIMES as much to trade for Watson is absurd to me.

The STARTING price is three years of first and second rounders PLUS a high end roster player. f**k that, we might get one ring in before the mess catches up to us but our roster would be a dumpster fire for a decade after. His cap hit in two years if 40 million.....you wont even be able resign what we have much less cover the holes he creates in free agency. Compare that to one year of losing a few picks to secure a high end rookie talent and actually create 20 million in cap room? Yeah I am going with the rookie....Watson at the price that is being reported us f**king stupid.

You know we wouldnt have to pay both Watson and Jimmy right?

Oh I thought we were keeping Jimmy as a back up
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Agreed. Plus I'd rather trade up for Zach Wilson if they're trading for a QB.

You would rather trade up for an unproven prospect than trade for a 25 year old perennial Pro Bowler?

When the cost is probably 3 to 4 times a much? Hell yes. The cost to get Watson would torpedo this franchise for a decade.

The idea that it would take 3 or 4 TIMES as much to trade for Watson is absurd to me.

The STARTING price is three years of first and second rounders PLUS a high end roster player. f**k that, we might get one ring in before the mess catches up to us but our roster would be a dumpster fire for a decade after. His cap hit in two years if 40 million.....you wont even be able resign what we have much less cover the holes he creates in free agency. Compare that to one year of losing a few picks to secure a high end rookie talent and actually create 20 million in cap room? Yeah I am going with the rookie....Watson at the price that is being reported us f**king stupid.

Trading up for Wilson would likely cost 3 first round picks, if he in fact would be taken 2nd or 3rd like most mocks are saying. So 9 to 12 first round picks for Watson? Hook me up with what you are smoking on sir.

And his cap hit is completely irrelevant. Restructures are a thing.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jan 7, 2021 at 11:08 AM ]
Trading the 12th pick and the 2022 32nd pick and the 2023 32nd pick doesn't seem that bad imo

Oh I thought we were keeping Jimmy as a back up

Haha. Might as well put Jimmy in the trade while we are at it.
Share 49ersWebzone