There are 218 users in the forums

What is our best QB option for 2021?

Shop 49ers game tickets

What is our best QB option for 2021?

Originally posted by 9moon:
WITH the 16th overall pick, I say trade down and get extra picks..

You're thinking we beat Seattle eh?
[ Edited by illinois9er on Dec 30, 2020 at 6:54 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by illinois9er:

NO, I'm going by just my guess... but nevertheless, if you're watching the Clemson vs Ohio State game, this is the BEST example of why we need to draft OLs and protect Grappy and NOT force the issue on drafting a QB as a project (Lance or Mac) in the 1st round..

PROTECTION PROTECTION AND MORE PROTECTION..
the best option is Trevor Lawrence, but we're not getting him. "The best option" is a loaded question. It's not about what is the best option, but the most realistic option. And Jimmy G might be the only realistic option, unless some real shenanigans happens in the draft and some of those top QBs fall to our pick.

I don't want any 2nd round talents like Mac Jones or Kyle Trask. What is honestly the point? I also don't think trading up to the top 5 in the draft is something this team can afford given that we have a lot of talent leaving, and we need to retool the roster.

Shore up the offensive line, get some secondary help, and then see how it goes for one more year with Jimmy G. But I'll also say this. My patience with Jimmy G is also wearing thin as well. I'd probably yank him after the bye week in 2021 if he is not performing up to standard. Just because you had great 3rd down efficiency at one point, and handed the ball off on your way to a Superbowl isn't going to mean jack squat next year.
NO, I'm going by just my guess... but nevertheless, if you're watching the Clemson vs Ohio State game, this is the BEST example of why we need to draft OLs and protect Grappy and NOT force the issue on drafting a QB as a project (Lance or Mac) in the 1st round..

Unfortunately Shany thinks that McGlinchy is a good tackle and will pay him ~$12 mil in 2021!!! .... so we likely wont have great pass protection unless McG adds 10 lbs of muscle.... and even with the extra 10 lbs McG will probably still be bad at pass pro
Trade Jimmy G (+ Saleh HC + Mike LaFleur OC + another 1-2 asst coaches) for Stafford.
Stafford wants out of Detroit, would love Shanny's offense, and should play at high level for another 7 years

"For years and years everybody called Bill Belichick a genius. As soon as he loses his franchise quarterback, all the sudden the Pats are a mediocre team, and suddenly he doesn't look like a genius anymore." ... a great QB like Brady etc is the single most important factor in team success and must be their #1 priority. Shanny needs a great QB or they will always be mediocre.
With Stafford plus 1-2 more good OL their offense will be great
[ Edited by maxsmart on Jan 2, 2021 at 1:43 AM ]

This times a million. I have no doubt if you give Jimmy a superior online he will produce at an elite level.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

This times a million. I have no doubt if you give Jimmy a superior online he will produce at an elite level.

Most QBs will perform at an elite level with an elite OL. especially when he has a great run game, and a great TE and 2 good WRs.

And keeping an elite OL in tact for 10+ years is impossible. That's why you need a great QB, so when the OL isnt that good, or run game, or defense, you still have a chance to win.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Most QBs will perform at an elite level with an elite OL. especially when he has a great run game, and a great TE and 2 good WRs.

And keeping an elite OL in tact for 10+ years is impossible. That's why you need a great QB, so when the OL isnt that good, or run game, or defense, you still have a chance to win.

But even great qbs cant win without a great oline. Look at Watson and wilson and Rodgers and rothlesberger. They may still put up elite numbers but their team stinks when they dont have a functional oline. As much as the game has changed, an elite oline is what separates most teams.

But I agree it's hard keeping an oline intact for 10 years. That's why it's important to draft oline often, which we've neglected.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Jan 2, 2021 at 10:21 AM ]

Absolutely agree. This team needs players and the best way to do it is through picks. The OL needs a rebuild. Kyle does such a good job scheme wise, he can take a less talented team and win. With a new OL better at pass protection, this team can win with the other positions (QB, RB and WR) staying pretty much the same.
Share 49ersWebzone