LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 307 users in the forums

Sam Darnold-Traded to Panthers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I think this would be best case scenario. Keep JG and have a young backup on a cheaper deal with potential and talent to try and groom. Then use the draft picks to shore up other positions like CB/C/ER

I like this idea. Besides, I'm starting to believe Kyle won't like any of the QBs in the draft.

It's not that he won't like them it's that him and Lynch would rather fill another need like edge or cb. I would have no problem with Darnold competing with Jimmy. Dude got a horrible situation in NY and I would rather have him backup than CJ or Mullens

I think its all about the narrative. If Darnold is dead set on being a starter next year he is destined for a team with competition at QB but with some hope, maybe the patriots or panthers... If Darnold wants a better situation where he could groom into his potential he is a real possibility for the niners. Shanalynch wont want a controversy with their high priced QB, JG is the man unless a rookie shows insane potential ala Russell Wilson.

Darnold shouldn't be making a scene trying to start, for one he has no choice where he's traded and 2 it's not like he's been a vet starter putting up numbers before where he should be disrespected if he don't start. He should be begging to be traded here because it gets him back on the west coast, he has a chance to possibly reset work on himself on a team where the coach knows what the hell he's doing on offense and he's going to have the best weapons he's ever had. And it's not if he's sitting behind an all pro, if Jimmy falters or gets hurt like he's prone to do he will play. And if Jimmy underperforms he has a chance to be the guy having learned the system the following year. It's pretty much a win win for him and the situation that he or any young qb should want
  • evil
  • Veteran
[tweet
[ Edited by evil on Feb 7, 2021 at 8:17 AM ]
Originally posted by evil:
[tweet

La Canfora just mentioned that on tv; he said KS was high on Darnold. There's a little smoke smoldering here.
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:
[tweet

La Canfora just mentioned that on tv; he said KS was high on Darnold. There's a little smoke smoldering here.

Or it's just more off-season clickbait. I think 9/10 stories are just BS during this time of year.
[tweet

Schefter is one of the few i trust. I wonder if he knows whos inquiring?
The title of this thread says pros...I haven't seen a single reason(pro) to trade for Darnold.

This guy sucks!
I think this would be best case scenario. Keep JG and have a young backup on a cheaper deal with potential and talent to try and groom. Then use the draft picks to shore up other positions like CB/C/ER

I like this idea. Besides, I'm starting to believe Kyle won't like any of the QBs in the draft.

If he doesn't he's an idiot. This is a VERY heavy qb draft

Originally posted by Curlin:
He plays for the worst run and most cursed team in football. They will destroy any QB that comes within 5 feet of the building. If I'm Lawrence I'm putting out the word now....DON'T DRAFT ME BECAUSE I'M NOT PLAYING FOR YOU LOSERS.

I've been saying the same thing about the Jets for YEARS....I mean YEARS!

Originally posted by Curlin:
He plays for the worst run and most cursed team in football. They will destroy any QB that comes within 5 feet of the building. If I'm Lawrence I'm putting out the word now....DON'T DRAFT ME BECAUSE I'M NOT PLAYING FOR YOU LOSERS.

I've been saying the same thing about the Jets for YEARS....I mean YEARS!
Originally posted by Bitplayer:
I will laugh my ass off if we have both Rosen and Darnold on our roster next year. Anyways I think he is an upgrade but will probably need to sit for bit and quietly retool his game. Sort of how Tannihil did imo.

Bite your tongue if BOTH are on our roster next year....BITE IT OFF!
Word is Shanahan "loves" Darnold even dating back to 2017...seems like this is the most realistic option if they want to change QBs without risking long term capital. On the plus side - his salary cap for this year would be low so could potentially go "all in" for this year...thoughts?

Hell no
He has had some garbage teammates, coaching, and luck in ny. I think he can succeed with another coach and team, esp shanny and all the talent here. All that being said, it's still very risky. Idk if I'm on board if the compensation is high.
As a starter - nope. As a backup, yeah no prob although a draft pick and extra cap space is a lot to give up for a potential short term backup.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
As a starter - nope. As a backup, yeah no prob although a draft pick and extra cap space is a lot to give up for a potential short term backup.

I think he can be salvaged - if Shanny likes him there's always a chance.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by JaggedJ:

I think he can be salvaged - if Shanny likes him there's always a chance.

I think he can be salvaged too, but it's not going to be instant.

Get him as a backup and work on him from there I have no issue with, just question the price.

Jimmy can get us to the playoffs, I don't believe Darnold can walk in and do the same year one.
Share 49ersWebzone