There are 177 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Mac Jones >> Zach Wilson

He's got a ton to work with at Bama: 1st rounder (Leatherwood) and a 2nd rounder (Brown) on the OL, two top 12 WRS (Waddle and Smith),and one of the top RBS (Harris) in college football. Put Wilson in that offense.....
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Nov 11, 2020 at 8:01 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
Which is totally sad. If we're in position to draft Wilson in April (highly probable now), and we pass him up for someone like Jones it's a terrible decision. Wilson is dynamic, Jones isn't.

I don't hate Mac Jones. He's a mighty fine prospect, and he seems like the type of prospect that can become a "franchise QB."

But I don't see him as the type of prospect that elevates a franchise. The type of player that can singlehandedly carry the team when everything around him is falling apart. I guess it ultimately comes down to whether the organization is even looking for that type of player. My gut tells me no. Kyle wants an extension of himself at QB.

my thought exactly, Hero. He seems like a guy who can run an offense efficiently but low ceiling and we could find ourselves in the same situation, stuck with a QB who we have to protect and surround with superstars to be successful.

He has a great deep ball which is probably his best trait but we dont have burners on our team and guys who can pluck the ball out in double coverage 30 yards down the field. We have shifty quick guys who will take 10 yard slant passes for 30 yards.

IMO, i would rather go with a sure bet in trading for Ryan or Stafford, than rolling the dice on a possible clone of them with minimal experience.

Wilson is still my guy. I would even give up a 2022 first round pick to jump up to get Wilson than stay pat for Jones.
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Nov 10, 2020 at 10:29 PM ]
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
my thought exactly, Hero. He seems like a guy who can run an offense efficiently but low ceiling and we could find ourselves in the same situation, stuck with a QB who we have to protect and surround with superstars to be successful.

He has a great deep ball which is probably his best trait but we dont have burners on our team and guys who can pluck the ball out in double coverage 30 yards down the field. We have shifty quick guys who will take 10 yard slant passes for 30 yards.

IMO, i would rather go with a sure bet in trading for Ryan or Stafford, than rolling the dice on a possible clone of them with minimal experience.

Wilson is still my guy. I would even give up a 2022 first round pick to jump up to get Wilson than stay pat for Jones.

FWIW Trading for Ryan is financially impossible. ATL would be eating a stupid amount of dead money. Stafford seems a bit more realistic when looking at the money...but he's still not gonna be cheap and DET is still gonna be eating a ton of cash for a couple yrs.

Then you have to fact in what it would cost to trade for them

Get a young rookie who's cheap & Build around the rookie QB just seems to make sense IMO...I'm not a Mac Jones fan BUT I think he could be asked to do the same things Jimmy is currently being asked to do...at over half the price.

I also agree I'm a Wilson fan. Also a Lance fan.
Jones's absolute ceiling would be Brady or Brees, or to a lesser degree, Matt Ryan. Not going to create plays a la Mahomes or Russ, but processes quickly and is very accurate, including on deep passes. He's got enough pocket mobility to buy himself time, but won't Houdini himself into ridiculous plays.

I have to say, for a long time I've wished for a QB that could consistently hit those 30-40 yard passes over the shoulder and in stride - Smith, Kap, and Jimmy G just never could. Brees has done it so well over his career, and it's such a good feeling when you see the QB looking deep and just have that confidence that it's going to be on the money. It seems like Jones can do that.

All that said, having that element of athleticism and the ability to drop it in the bucket - Mahomes, Wilson, Murray. It's so dynamic and dangerous. If that's Zach Wilson or Lance, you gotta rank them significantly higher.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Jones's absolute ceiling would be Brady or Brees, or to a lesser degree, Matt Ryan.

I dunno.

Would love to see some tape examples that are alot more definitive than what's been shown if we're going to bring big names like that out.
[ Edited by random49er on Nov 11, 2020 at 6:51 AM ]
Jones's absolute ceiling would be Brady or Brees, or to a lesser degree, Matt Ryan. Not going to create plays a la Mahomes or Russ, but processes quickly and is very accurate, including on deep passes. He's got enough pocket mobility to buy himself time, but won't Houdini himself into ridiculous plays.

I have to say, for a long time I've wished for a QB that could consistently hit those 30-40 yard passes over the shoulder and in stride - Smith, Kap, and Jimmy G just never could. Brees has done it so well over his career, and it's such a good feeling when you see the QB looking deep and just have that confidence that it's going to be on the money. It seems like Jones can do that.

All that said, having that element of athleticism and the ability to drop it in the bucket - Mahomes, Wilson, Murray. It's so dynamic and dangerous. If that's Zach Wilson or Lance, you gotta rank them significantly higher.

Whoa, I don't know if I'd go Brady or Brees, but Matt Ryan most definitely. The way Jones can hit it on the mark on those deep passes have been a sight to see. To have Trevor Lawrence in the upcoming draft but to be labeled the best deep ball passer is definitely a big positive. To add to that, I think his second best quality is his ability to read and process the defense quickly and make a decision on where to throw. Sure, he's got a good o-line, but Leatherwood and Brown aren't exactly rated as high as former Bama offensive line prospects. Mac Jones still gets pressure in front of him and has shown toughness to get around the rush or to take the hit right after he delivers the pass.

Gonna have to put more cash/picks into the OL if they want to go with the Brees type QB.
Originally posted by random49er:

I dunno.

Would love to see some tape examples that are alot more definitive than what's been shown if we're going to bring big names like that out.

I did say absolute ceiling. It's not what we should expect, of course. Eric Crocker did a few nice cutups of Jones that showed some of the pocket mobility that I like.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

FWIW Trading for Ryan is financially impossible. ATL would be eating a stupid amount of dead money. Stafford seems a bit more realistic when looking at the money...but he's still not gonna be cheap and DET is still gonna be eating a ton of cash for a couple yrs.

Then you have to fact in what it would cost to trade for them

Get a young rookie who's cheap & Build around the rookie QB just seems to make sense IMO...I'm not a Mac Jones fan BUT I think he could be asked to do the same things Jimmy is currently being asked to do...at over half the price.

I also agree I'm a Wilson fan. Also a Lance fan.

Gotcha! Well im a bigger fan of Stafford. I believe Patricia is on the out as HC and after they tried to trade Golladay, I think they are ready for a complete rebuild. Stafford is a great QB too, just been plagued by terrible coaching staffs.

Yeah Lance is my draft crush but Wilson is a close second and way more realistic. Although, i wouldnt giving up a little more draft capital to get jump up for Lance. We have so many good pieces in place right now on the offense, that not much else is needed. My guess is that we resign Williams, we have 2 great young WRs in Auyik & Deebo (possibly Hurd if healthy), league's best TE, and the league's most underrated RB. The only thing missing is a playmaking QB. Plus, without JimmyG's contract, we would have more money to spend on defense and possibly another playmaker (OBJ )
Originally posted by Rathof44:
He's got a ton to work with at Bama: 1st rounder (Leatherwood) and a 2nd rounder (Brown) on the OL, two top 12 WRS (Waddle and Smith),and one of the top RBS (Harris) in college football. Put Wilson in that offense.....

Adjusted for competition, I'd say that you could argue that the OL situations are pretty even, if not favoring Wilson altogether and its reflected in every video where he has a good 3 to 4 seconds to throw the football. There's 3 to 4 draftable guys on that OL going up against guys who mostly would be lucky to stick on a practice squad.

It feels like people are going out of their way to talk up the surrounding cast that Jones has while ignoring that Wilson is sitting pretty nicely for the teams that he will be facing.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Adjusted for competition, I'd say that you could argue that the OL situations are pretty even, if not favoring Wilson altogether and its reflected in every video where he has a good 3 to 4 seconds to throw the football. There's 3 to 4 draftable guys on that OL going up against guys who mostly would be lucky to stick on a practice squad.

It feels like people are going out of their way to talk up the surrounding cast that Jones has while ignoring that Wilson is sitting pretty nicely for the teams that he will be facing.

Amen. Like Ive mentioned a ton of times already, people forget that Bama plays against some stiff defenses. And this year, Leatherwood is nowhere near as talented as Jedrick from last year.

All I took from this is that Wilson will be bringing his Tackle and C with him to us and I'm good with that

Wilson > Jones
Originally posted by 49ers808:
All I took from this is that Wilson will be bringing his Tackle and C with him to us and I'm good with that

Wilson > Jones

You're gonna get Mac Jones and like it. And when he's making big plays to lead the 49ers to wins you'll be screaming your head off like a fourteen year old girl at a One Direction concert.
You're gonna get Mac Jones and like it. And when he's making big plays to lead the 49ers to wins you'll be screaming your head off like a fourteen year old girl at a One Direction concert.

Speaking of 14 year old girl, got a perfect picture of someone that fits your description

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Speaking of 14 year old girl, got a perfect picture of someone that fits your description

Just pretty enough to hypnotize and freeze up the DL before tearing a secondary apart.
Share 49ersWebzone