LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Originally posted by Heroism:
Matt Ryan's arm is definitely good, but he's another full-body thrower, albeit a high-level one. There's nothing wrong with that, but those types of QBs are heavily dependent on having a clean pocket.

This is how I qualify a strong arm: Can they throw the ball on a rope with mainly just their upper body? This is important because a QB is going to have to deal with pressure, and they're not always going to be able to set up their throwing platform or step into their throw; A throw on the move or across their body; Or they'll have a defender hanging on them and can only throw with their upper body; a lower-body injury(cough*Jimmy); etc.

Mac Jones is 100% a full-body thrower. If his OL isn't doing their job, he's not going to be nearly as effective. And this may sound like common sense, but there are QBs in the league that can function even without their OL doing its job because in large part due to their arm talent.

This is a good point. I do like Mac, though. I think sometimes when we see prospects come out of nowhere, especially at schools where the quarterback is highly productive and when said prospect isn't "talented", we write them off. That's not a fair way to evaluate a quarterback.
[ Edited by DaBeegDeek on Nov 4, 2020 at 4:04 PM ]
I like Mac Jones, so don't take my critique as anything more than just that.

Kyle will unquestionably have a raging hardon for Mac Jones. This front office drafts their guy. I wouldn't be surprised if Mac Jones is that come draft day.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Oooh, NY isn't gonna like that.
I like Mac Jones, so don't take my critique as anything more than just that.

Kyle will unquestionably have a raging hardon for Mac Jones. This front office drafts their guy. I wouldn't be surprised if Mac Jones is that come draft day.

I wouldn't be surprised at all
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I wouldn't be surprised at all

Originally posted by NIMV4683:
What I don't like of Jones is what they say about him on Draft network:

Pros (+): As a junior, Jones was called upon after serving in a backup role to Tua Tagovailoa. He is always on balance and keeps his knees bent combined with a firm base as a thrower. As a result, his ball placement is highly consistent when throwing to the short-to-intermediate areas of the field. Jones contains a squeaky clean deliver, which enables him to be on time and anticipate during quick throws. Knowing his overall arm strength limitations, Jones is a smart and cerebral player that knows how to get through each option on his progressions. He doesn't shy away from dumping the ball to his final option prematurely in order to get the ball out of his hand quickly. The Tide QB understands how to operate the offense cleanly and in his own way, which is as efficient as possible. Jones is accurate and makes safe decisions within the scheme. Jones isn't an overly athletic player that create outside of the pocket, but he is sufficient at working slight moves within the pocket to place his vision into new avenues in order to make throws from a new surface. He is also unafraid to hang tough in a murky pocket as he keeps his eyes up and ahead to deliver cloudy throws in his sightline.

Cons (–): The biggest concerns with Jones is with his lack of mobility outside of structure and average arm strength, which makes protection in front of him vital to his success. Jones doesn't always have a good feel for deep throws and the touch necessary to connect with targets down the field. There's a significant drop off on his ability to place the ball on attempts downfield. He routinely over/under throws targets that have created separation against matchups. As with Alabama, he will have to have a near perfect surrounding setup in order to see his full potential.

Basically is 2017 Jimmy Garoppolo. Besides, Never trust any quarterback who comes from Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Texas, Florida or Florida State.

So we basically still need to have a perfect OL, and perfect receivers for him to work.

I'd only be mad if they draft this guy and don't address OL at all. It will just tell me that they learned nothing after watching the film
I will be pissed if we take this guy, but I definitely see this guy being Kyle's guy because he'll do whatever and follow the system. I want a qb whose explosive and can make every throw when things break down, I would rather take a chance on a guy with potential than a guy whose already reached his ceiling and needs everything around him to be perfect. If we have no chance at any of the Lawrence, Fields or Lance which we won't I would rather take a reclamation project like Darnold who was in a toxic situation.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I will be pissed if we take this guy, but I definitely see this guy being Kyle's guy because he'll do whatever and follow the system. I want a qb whose explosive and can make every throw when things break down, I would rather take a chance on a guy with potential than a guy whose already reached his ceiling and needs everything around him to be perfect. If we have no chance at any of the Lawrence, Fields or Lance which we won't I would rather take a reclamation project like Darnold who was in a toxic situation.

Mac doesn't seem bad. He seems like Jim that can throw deep is all. Shanahan would like this guy because he will do whatever he says, and not try to go off-schedule too much. I'd rather us aggressively use our future picks to move up in the top 10 if we can to go get Z. Wilson. Like you said, we need a QB that is dynamic.
Future Heisman winner, future 49ers quarterback. It has been spoken and thus it shall be.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Future Heisman winner, future 49ers quarterback. It has been spoken and thus it shall be.

There it is, thanks a lot Phoenix Thought you were gonna do that for me to help get Wilson

He can look, still taking Wilson home in that pic
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Imagine the top 4 QBs playing at Alabama this year instead of Jones.
this qb class is looking strong
Share 49ersWebzone