There are 164 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

2 years in and nothing has changed. He's Andy Dalton with more turnovers.

While I think they should explore other avenues it wouldn't be crazy to bring Jimmy back. For all his flaws he's an actual real leader who won't turn it over a crazy amount. That alone would be an upgrade.

If they do nothing they might as well let Bailey Zappe legit compete for the position.
People are insulting Mac and yeah he's had a rough go this year but I'm 100% confident he would be doing great here with us. Sometimes you luck out on where you go and other times you're unlucky
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
in Monday's end-of-the-year presser, Bill didnt sound too high on Mac Jones.

Originally posted by boast:

Yeah saying your starting QB has the ability to play QB in this league is not exactly the highest praise. 40+ other QB's have the ability to play QB in this league. The question is do they have the ability to be a very good QB in this league.
Originally posted by JTB1974:

Yeah saying your starting QB has the ability to play QB in this league is not exactly the highest praise. 40+ other QB's have the ability to play QB in this league. The question is do they have the ability to be a very good QB in this league.
I watched almost all the early slot Pat's game this year and a good chunk last year too...

Mac Jones can be a good QB in the NFL. Like most QBs he needs weapons and time to throw the football. I would say he is a clear high C or low B level QB or a 7 on a scale of 1-10.

Like the vast majority of the QBs that have played in the NFL, he has not shown the ability to make those around him more dangerous then they might normally be.

If the Pats had a Randy Moss we would never hear the end of how great Mac Jones is. I bet it would be similar to Tua,

The dude is a talented QB, he just also happens to push every button I have in the wrong way... I have gotten to the point I really can't stand the dude. Absolute definition of a Man-Child.

Side note to file for later

.... a lot of posters spoke about Mac being surrounded by talent at Bama. Two ways to look at that, 1. you know if you get him talent he can use it. 2. You don't know what he is going to look like with out it. ( come to find out a lot of times he looks very average like most qbs do)

I recently listen to a scout talking about Purdy as a recently drafted prospect being use to having free rushers in his face, and never having the luxury of throwing to the talent he now has on the 49ers.

Cohn did a video talking about Shanny addressing how great it was to not have to sugar coat everything with Brock. How he could get straight to coaching and how Brock wanted information and he could go right to talking shop with out having to talk about all the things Brock did great before you start to address the issues. I can totally relate to that. Before I went back to school for computer programing I was in Training and Development and I hate dealing with fragile egos. I find the people that did the best are people that can take the truth straight and desire to be better.

It really is the two polar ends of that spectrum Purdy is the anti-Mac Jones. Mac Jones appears to never be wrong, it is always someone else's fault when stuff fails, he had all the talent in the world and with out it he appears average or even below average often. Purdy had very little to work with in college, is humble as all get out and is extremely coachable.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
I watched almost all the early slot Pat's game this year and a good chunk last year too...

Mac Jones can be a good QB in the NFL. Like most QBs he needs weapons and time to throw the football. I would say he is a clear high C or low B level QB or a 7 on a scale of 1-10.

Like the vast majority of the QBs that have played in the NFL, he has not shown the ability to make those around him more dangerous then they might normally be.

If the Pats had a Randy Moss we would never hear the end of how great Mac Jones is. I bet it would be similar to Tua,

The dude is a talented QB, he just also happens to push every button I have in the wrong way... I have gotten to the point I really can't stand the dude. Absolute definition of a Man-Child.

Side note to file for later

.... a lot of posters spoke about Mac being surrounded by talent at Bama. Two ways to look at that, 1. you know if you get him talent he can use it. 2. You don't know what he is going to look like with out it. ( come to find out a lot of times he looks very average like most qbs do)

I recently listen to a scout talking about Purdy as a recently drafted prospect being use to having free rushers in his face, and never having the luxury of throwing to the talent he now has on the 49ers.

Cohn did a video talking about Shanny addressing how great it was to not have to sugar coat everything with Brock. How he could get straight to coaching and how Brock wanted information and he could go right to talking shop with out having to talk about all the things Brock did great before you start to address the issues. I can totally relate to that. Before I went back to school for computer programing I was in Training and Development and I hate dealing with fragile egos. I find the people that did the best are people that can take the truth straight and desire to be better.

It really is the two polar ends of that spectrum Purdy is the anti-Mac Jones. Mac Jones appears to never be wrong, it is always someone else's fault when stuff fails, he had all the talent in the world and with out it he appears average or even below average often. Purdy had very little to work with in college, is humble as all get out and is extremely coachable.

The luckiest guy in the world was Mac Jones when Brock Purdy picked Iowa State over Alabama.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-mac-jones-went-behind-165651199.html
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

yeah is is clear as day the Offense on the Pats is a cluster f**k.

Any fan that is watching a Pats game can see they have issues,

Mac had two choices, pull up his big boy britches. man up and make the most of it, or whine and cry and turn it in to a circus.

good for him

bill is an idiot for hiring patricia to run the offense
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Not surprised...he rarely if ever said any good things about Brady too...and this was after multiple championships.

Brock >>>>>> Mac. He was better in college too, Mac was never in a situation where he actually had to play well to win or post numbers.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

good for him

bill is an idiot for hiring patricia to run the offense

Bill rectifying his error.

Going from rocket scientist Patricia to Bill O'Brien at OC is turning a frown upside down for the Patriots offense. Just don't let him get involved in personnel moves.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Jones still needs WRs, which appears to be a blindspot for BB in talent evaluation.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mac-jones-reportedly-clashed-with-qb-coach-joe-judge-amid-patriots-offensive-dysfunction-211618994.html

As Patricia came under outside fire as the face of the offense, Judge drew increasing criticism from within. Belichick would blast him in practice, and it wasn't uncommon for Judge and Jones to trade profanity-laced outbursts. Jones' trust in his position coach was effectively non-existent.

"Mac didn't like him," one source said. "At all."

"[Judge] would speak extra loudly in meetings, trying to project like he was the guy," another source said. "And I think that kind of rubbed people the wrong way."

"A lot of people were frustrated with [Judge]," a third added.

The Patriots' offensive plan this season was to reportedly take McDaniels' concepts, throw in some Sean McVay ideas (play-action passes in particular) and simplify the game plan overall for quicker execution.

On paper, that sounds reasonable. Unfortunately, the Patriots had a rather significant handicap in that no one on their coaching staff had any experience with a Shanahan-style system, where McVay's philosophy originates. Their run plays clashed with their pass plays, and their pass protection dealt with major communication issues.

The offensive experience of the Patriots' coaching staff was already a concern, as Judge entered this season with zero past experience on the offensive side of the ball as a position coach, and Patricia had only worked as an assistant offensive line coach in 2005.

Apparently, this led to issues with the players who actually had experience under a Shanahan offense:

The staff's lack of understanding became a frequent source of frustration in meetings, when players with experience in Shanahan systems, of which there were at least a half-dozen, would raise questions about how to solve defenses they had faced with other teams.

"A lot of guys would ask, 'Well, what's going to happen if [the defense] does this?' And you would see they hadn't really accounted for that yet," one source said. "And they'd say, 'We'll get to that when we get to that.' That type of attitude got us in trouble."
Originally posted by krizay:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mac-jones-reportedly-clashed-with-qb-coach-joe-judge-amid-patriots-offensive-dysfunction-211618994.html

As Patricia came under outside fire as the face of the offense, Judge drew increasing criticism from within. Belichick would blast him in practice, and it wasn't uncommon for Judge and Jones to trade profanity-laced outbursts. Jones' trust in his position coach was effectively non-existent.

"Mac didn't like him," one source said. "At all."

"[Judge] would speak extra loudly in meetings, trying to project like he was the guy," another source said. "And I think that kind of rubbed people the wrong way."

"A lot of people were frustrated with [Judge]," a third added.

The Patriots' offensive plan this season was to reportedly take McDaniels' concepts, throw in some Sean McVay ideas (play-action passes in particular) and simplify the game plan overall for quicker execution.

On paper, that sounds reasonable. Unfortunately, the Patriots had a rather significant handicap in that no one on their coaching staff had any experience with a Shanahan-style system, where McVay's philosophy originates. Their run plays clashed with their pass plays, and their pass protection dealt with major communication issues.

The offensive experience of the Patriots' coaching staff was already a concern, as Judge entered this season with zero past experience on the offensive side of the ball as a position coach, and Patricia had only worked as an assistant offensive line coach in 2005.

Apparently, this led to issues with the players who actually had experience under a Shanahan offense:

The staff's lack of understanding became a frequent source of frustration in meetings, when players with experience in Shanahan systems, of which there were at least a half-dozen, would raise questions about how to solve defenses they had faced with other teams.

"A lot of guys would ask, 'Well, what's going to happen if [the defense] does this?' And you would see they hadn't really accounted for that yet," one source said. "And they'd say, 'We'll get to that when we get to that.' That type of attitude got us in trouble."

"A lot of guys would ask, 'Well, what's going to happen if [the defense] does this?' And you would see they hadn't really accounted for that yet," one source said. "And they'd say, 'We'll get to that when we get to that.

Does go a long way towards explaining why Kendrick Bourne was beefing so hard with Patricia. Bourne knows Kyle Shanahan, he knows how offense is supposed to be taught, schemed and called and you had a career defensive guy trying to use some sort of Shanahan Offense for Dummies.

That Belichick let this circus go on when it seemed to have been pretty obvious to the rest of the world what a massive clusterf**k it was suggests that he's slipping.
Share 49ersWebzone