LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Originally posted by Dshearn:
This will be an interesting year for Mac Jones, and for trends.

I have always been a "sit a year" guy when it comes to QBs. First pick in the draft, sit the dude. Primarily because once the grace period wears off, there is no putting the bad press back in the box. Bad play, and bad press put QBs out of the NFL. Getting picked high in the draft and stinking seldom works out in the NFL. Bill Walsh referenced this often with Steve Young, it just makes sense to give the face of the franchise as many tools to work with as possible.

Trey got to sit, Mac had to start.

Then we look at the Change of OC. Defensive Coach versus Offensive coach. We watched Nolan destroy Alex Smith right before our eyes, and watched Rodgers have continuity in his career until he was a very solid vet.

Smith had less pressure and was more mature, both in a professional sense and life choices then Mac is. Alot of us thought that changing OCs would crater Smith (and got murdered for saying as much.) That is before you add in expectations... Mac has NE levels of pressure. That is a team that has not missed the playoffs consistently in a very long time. It will be very interesting to watch how Mac adapts to an OC change.

Maybe Belichick's long tenor in the NFL will stabilize the team, and it will not be an issue... but if I was a NE fan I would be worried.

I don't know what is going to happen and I hope Mac does well, but from my 40 or so years of watching the NFL, Mac is going to have to beat the odds. I would much.... MUCH rather be in Trey Lances' shoes.

Most likely it's going to be issue. Belichick has really convinced himself he can just plug in anyone as the OC.
Heard he has been atrocious this summer
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Heard he has been atrocious this summer

First thing I heard is he's in great shape.. which you hear every offseason.. about everyone.. but I heard it especially about him.. BB praised him being so much further along.. and praise from him is a bit rare..

The vibe I get now is the entire O stinks.. they are trying to Shanahan it up with a lot of our stuff and it's a change of what they've been doing for 21 years.. learning curve / adjustment I suppose..
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Aug 10, 2022 at 1:03 PM ]
Mac is dealing with new coordinator (whoever that is....) and a new offensive system. He might be struggling but he'll get there i'm certain of it. I don't think the pats have the horses to compete in the afc east (let alone the stacked AFC) but i think a guy like mac if you surround him with a good defense and good running game he's going to be a nice cog. Where he's going to break down is when the defense allows 20+ or he needs to put up 30 passes a game. They don't have the playmakers around him in my opinion but i guess you never say never about anyone.

I was really impressed with mac last year but i do think it's naive to think he won't suffer some type of setback given the change in coaching/scheme/etc.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
"I saw him at the podium the other day and he looked defeated." - FS1 media member
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Mac is dealing with new coordinator (whoever that is....) and a new offensive system. He might be struggling but he'll get there i'm certain of it. I don't think the pats have the horses to compete in the afc east (let alone the stacked AFC) but i think a guy like mac if you surround him with a good defense and good running game he's going to be a nice cog. Where he's going to break down is when the defense allows 20+ or he needs to put up 30 passes a game. They don't have the playmakers around him in my opinion but i guess you never say never about anyone.

I was really impressed with mac last year but i do think it's naive to think he won't suffer some type of setback given the change in coaching/scheme/etc.

NFL teams that can play press man shut him down.

NFL teams that play zone get carved up.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Most likely it's going to be issue. Belichick has really convinced himself he can just plug in anyone as the OC.

Either Belichick will look like an even bigger genius at the end of this season, or a guy who really has started buying his own legend.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

This... he is the next evolution of game manager. Pennington 2.0.

Agreed he is limited but if he were to get an elite playmakers where he can't just be manned up all game? Just saying even despite his deficiencies Mac has some good things going for him
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Agreed he is limited but if he were to get an elite playmakers where he can't just be manned up all game? Just saying even despite his deficiencies Mac has some good things going for him

Kirk Cousins 2.0
He made the NFL top 100 list?
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Yep. Not bad for a rookie year.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

What a joke that he is ranked higher than Cousins when Cousins clearly has better stats .
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

What a joke that he is ranked higher than Cousins when Cousins clearly has better stats .

And clearly a better player.
Share 49ersWebzone