LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

I wonder how having an OC that's never called plays before and whose highest offensive coaching position was assistant offensive line coach for 1 year will affect Jones.

That's going to be ugly.
[ Edited by Hopper on Jun 6, 2022 at 1:52 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran

I wonder how having an OC that's never called plays before and whose highest offensive coaching position was assistant offensive line coach for 1 year will affect Jones.

From what I seen BB will be the one calling plays
  • thl408
Originally posted by krizay:

From what I seen BB will be the one calling plays

Would that be the first time that a defensive coach calls offensive plays, or vice versa? That'd be pretty impressive, provided he does a good job of it.
Practice notes Mac Jones puts on a show:

Offseason workouts always need to be taken with a grain of salt, but it is hard not to feel good about the Patriots starting quarterback after Tuesday's practice. The second-year man was spectacular, after all, and delivered arguably the most impressive practice since joining the team as a first-round draft pick last spring. In team drills — i.e. 7-on-7s and 11-on-11s — he completed 25 of 26 pass attempts, as charted by Mark Daniels of the Providence Journal.

Jones had the best play of the day, when he hit second-year wideout Tre Nixon on a deep pass down the field. He also threw some impressive passes to running back J.J. Taylor and tight end Jonnu Smith beating tight coverage; later, Jones connected with DeVante Parker on a deep completion over Jalen Mills.

https://www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2022/6/7/23158478/patriots-minicamp-recap-mac-jones-puts-on-a-show-day-1
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Don't know where to post this. This seemed like the best spot.

I've had a chance to see Tua [Tagovailoa] throw the ball, to myself, but. . . . he's that dude, bro," Hill said. "Like, what a lot of people don't know, like, I'm not just sitting just saying this because he's my quarterback now. . . . like, I'm not trying to get more targets right now, but what I'm trying to say is Tua is that deal, bro. . . . Bro, he has a heck of an arm, bro. He's accurate. He can throw the deep ball, and he actually goes through his reads, where people are like on Twitter like saying, 'Oh, he doesn't go through his reads.' Man, this dude is that dude."

Hill's co-host, Julius Collins, then asked Hill who has the stronger arm, Tua or Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes?

"Obviously, like I'm gonna go with 15 as the strongest arm but as far as accuracy-wise, I'm going with Tua all day," Hill said.

"So which one would you rather have, the deep ball where you gotta scramble around the field to try to go find it, or do you want that accuracy to hit you breadbasket on the run?" Collins asked Hill.

"I want it to hit me right in the breadbasket, just like I did in the Buffalo Bills game and take it 70," Hill said. "And the rest is history."

Hill added that his game in Miami will consist of a lot more than tracking long throws.

"I love the deep ball, but guess what though? I done expanded my game," Hill said. "So now I'm doing a lot more than just the deep ball now. I'm doing intermediate routes. I'm doing short routes. So now I actually need a guy who can just get me the ball now, on a dagger route, on a corner route, on a shallow cross route. You know, right now, right in my chest. So I can do the rest. I make you look good now."

Obviously this is Tua and Mahomes and not Mac and Trey. Only posted it fir the highlighted. I'm curious how many other WRs feel this way.
What is MacGoat up to these days? You gotta think that the Pats are THE favorites to win the super bowl.
Don't know where to post this. This seemed like the best spot.

I've had a chance to see Tua [Tagovailoa] throw the ball, to myself, but. . . . he's that dude, bro," Hill said. "Like, what a lot of people don't know, like, I'm not just sitting just saying this because he's my quarterback now. . . . like, I'm not trying to get more targets right now, but what I'm trying to say is Tua is that deal, bro. . . . Bro, he has a heck of an arm, bro. He's accurate. He can throw the deep ball, and he actually goes through his reads, where people are like on Twitter like saying, 'Oh, he doesn't go through his reads.' Man, this dude is that dude."

Hill's co-host, Julius Collins, then asked Hill who has the stronger arm, Tua or Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes?

"Obviously, like I'm gonna go with 15 as the strongest arm but as far as accuracy-wise, I'm going with Tua all day," Hill said.

"So which one would you rather have, the deep ball where you gotta scramble around the field to try to go find it, or do you want that accuracy to hit you breadbasket on the run?" Collins asked Hill.

"I want it to hit me right in the breadbasket, just like I did in the Buffalo Bills game and take it 70," Hill said. "And the rest is history."

Hill added that his game in Miami will consist of a lot more than tracking long throws.

"I love the deep ball, but guess what though? I done expanded my game," Hill said. "So now I'm doing a lot more than just the deep ball now. I'm doing intermediate routes. I'm doing short routes. So now I actually need a guy who can just get me the ball now, on a dagger route, on a corner route, on a shallow cross route. You know, right now, right in my chest. So I can do the rest. I make you look good now."

Obviously this is Tua and Mahomes and not Mac and Trey. Only posted it fir the highlighted. I'm curious how many other WRs feel this way.

Idk, Mac got completely roasted by a big armed athletic QB twice down the stretch, including an embarrassing thrashing in the playoffs.

Obviously a wr will prefer someone that can get them the ball. I think every WR, if they're being honest, prefers a big arm QB. It's not that it means EVERY throw is a deep bomb, but when you have an arm like guys such as Allen, herb, etc. it's going to open things up.

When you have an arm that isn't elite, you're going to have issues. This is part (not only, part) of why Mac got completely demolished down the stretch. However, a guy like burrow (who doesn't have an elite arm imo) made the sb.

For Mac, he needs elite playmakers around him or he will always top out as a one and done (at best). Pats have done him 0 favors this offseason and I think most would agree they go into the season as the #3 team in the afc east.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Idk, Mac got completely roasted by a big armed athletic QB twice down the stretch, including an embarrassing thrashing in the playoffs.

Obviously a wr will prefer someone that can get them the ball. I think every WR, if they're being honest, prefers a big arm QB. It's not that it means EVERY throw is a deep bomb, but when you have an arm like guys such as Allen, herb, etc. it's going to open things up.

When you have an arm that isn't elite, you're going to have issues. This is part (not only, part) of why Mac got completely demolished down the stretch. However, a guy like burrow (who doesn't have an elite arm imo) made the sb.

For Mac, he needs elite playmakers around him or he will always top out as a one and done (at best). Pats have done him 0 favors this offseason and I think most would agree they go into the season as the #3 team in the afc east.

What's crazy is Mac had a QBR 23 points higher than Trey Lance's HOU game and everyone thought he played great. Because NE lost they think Mac played horrible. I'm talking the playoff game here.

The 2nd Buffalo game was pretty bad

What's crazy is Mac had a QBR 23 points higher than Trey Lance's HOU game and everyone thought he played great. Because NE lost they think Mac played horrible. I'm talking the playoff game here.

Lance was a big reason we won that game, made some really great plays in the 2nd half and was a big reason for our win. If you would've been watching that game instead of the Pats, you would've known that
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Lance was a big reason we won that game, made some really great plays in the 2nd half and was a big reason for our win. If you would've been watching that game instead of the Pats, you would've known that

Go play in the Trey Lance thread!

The 2nd Buffalo game kind of said all you needed to know. Chad Pennington 2.0. He will put up decent stats and most likely have winning records but the limitations will always be there. Hope he proves me wrong, dont want to actively root against a player unless they are someone like Burfict.

I mean Mac couldn't keep pace in the buffalo game against a big armed athletic QB. He put up some meaningless yards but the game was over by half, 27-3.

Mac played awful in that he could not keep pace. It wasn't all his fault but a lot was. He depended all year on pats D keeping him in close games and when they needed him to help them out he disappeared.

Again it wasn't all him but the playoff game he had against buffalo was really bad.
Let's not act like Jones went full Kyler Murray in that game either. Bills are a true SB contender and showed it that day scoring TD on almost every single possession. It was an embarrassment for Bills defense. I don't expect a rookie Jones and meh supporting cast to keep up with an elite Allen and his very good supporting cast.

it shouldn't be used as a knock on Jones. Not very many offenses are built to go toe to toe with Allen like when defense don't show up, that other than Mahomes and his offense.
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Jun 14, 2022 at 10:50 AM ]
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Go play in the Trey Lance thread!

Sorry niner fans trigger you.

And btw, at least come up with something original, even though I'm flattered you would use my line.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Let's not act like Jones went full Kyler Murray in that game either. Bills are a true SB contender and showed it that day scoring TD on almost every single possession. It was an embarrassment for Bills defense. I don't expect a rookie Jones and meh supporting cast to keep up with an elite Allen and his very good supporting cast.

it shouldn't be used as a knock on Jones. Not very many offenses are built to go toe to toe with Allen like when defense don't show up, that other than Mahomes and his offense.

3 points basically through 3 quarters is pretty bad. I agree it wasn't a Nathan Peterman type performance but it was mediocre as you can get.

Mac didn't somehow give the game away with turnovers but he did absolutely nothing to help his team or keep them in the game
Share 49ersWebzone