LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 427 users in the forums

The Washington Commanders Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Nike has pulled Redskins gear from their website, and Fed Ex, PepsiCo and other sponsors are pressuring Snyder to come crawling into the 21st century. DC politicians are telling them they will require a name change if they want to play at the RFK site.

How a racist term is still considered an acceptable team name in 2020 is beyond me, but it looks like it might finally change, because it's hitting Snyder in the pocketbook now.

Story here
This is, in my view, the end of the line for the name but only if native Americans object, which I believe that they do. The sponsors or the tv companies are really the only organisations with sufficient clout to force this change.

Snyder needs to bite the bullet and make the change.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
This is, in my view, the end of the line for the name but only if native Americans object, which I believe that they do. The sponsors or the tv companies are really the only organisations with sufficient clout to force this change.

They do and have long objected to the name
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Most likely a new name soon.

This is the mascot of a local Indian reservation high school.

THANK YOU DAN! THANK YOU DAN!

Le Batard that is.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Jul 3, 2020 at 8:42 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is the mascot of a local Indian reservation high school.

This argument is reminiscent of white people who say, if Snoop Dogg can use the n-word, I should be able to use the n-word too. And that's what "Redskin" is, it's the Native American equivalent of the n-word.
Originally posted by Garoppolis:
This argument is reminiscent of white people who say, if Snoop Dogg can use the n-word, I should be able to use the n-word too. And that's what "Redskin" is, it's the Native American equivalent of the n-word.

I've seen far more white people offended by the name than actual Natives but if enough people want it changed, go ahead and change it. The franchise will still suck no matter what they call it as long as Snyder is the owner.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I have googled it and there is no consensus, there are gazillions of pages saying they should change the name and gazillions saying they shouldn't. So it seems very clear to me. We should ask Daniel Snyder which option would piss him off the most and do it.

#hatesnyder

I have googled it and there is no consensus, there are gazillions of pages saying they should change the name and gazillions saying they shouldn't. So it seems very clear to me. We should ask Daniel Snyder which option would piss him off the most and do it.

#hatesnyder

I wonder if they could change it to the name of the local tribe in that area. I believe there was a Potomic tribe. That would at least get rid of the racist slur. It seems to work for the FSU Seminoles. If not I vote for Razorbacks. That would kind of honor their history of their great o line called the hogs.
It's not hard for Washington to change the name to the Warriors (Snyder even owns a trademark for the Washington Warriors ), keeping the Native American theme.

Change the name to the Warriors, update this uniform and your done.

Why aren't the braves or the chiefs getting any heat?

That tomahawk chop is the most racist chant
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Jul 3, 2020 at 9:15 AM ]
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Why aren't the braves or the chiefs getting any heat?

That tomahawk chop is the most racist chant

They are, they have been. They are pretty much next on the list once the Redskins name is changed.

https://www.jpost.com/international/native-american-advocates-call-on-nfls-kansas-city-chiefs-to-change-name-616242

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/diversity-inclusion/480140-the-chiefs-bring-their-controversial-name-to-the
Share 49ersWebzone