LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

Stafford Traded to Rams for two 1st's, a 3rd, and Goff

Stafford Traded to Rams for two 1st's, a 3rd, and Goff

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
No QB in NFL history has more empty stats. He will retire with huge numbers that have led to nothing.

I love how this is the common opinion, yet it makes zero sense that this is a reflection of Stafford like the opinion insinuates.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
the Patriots will be all over this guy if he is on the trade market.
No QB in NFL history has more empty stats. He will retire with huge numbers that have led to nothing.

Do you feel the same way about Sanders? He never won s**t either. You have to take his teams into account as well. When has Stafford ever had a great team around him? Since Calvin has left those teams have been bad on offense and defense. Has he even had a good RB in his career? Im not saying his great, but he's better than his record. And he did carry some bad Lions team to decent seasons.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Feb 19, 2020 at 1:53 PM ]
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Do you feel the same way about Sanders? He never won s**t either. You have to take his teams into account as well. When has Stafford ever had a great team around him? Since Calvin has left those teams have been bad on offense and defense. Has he even had a good RB in his career? Im not saying his great, but he's better than his record. And he did carry some bad Lions team to decent seasons.

I don't expect any other position to have a great influence on winning. This is why QBs are paid the big bucks.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

I love how this is the common opinion, yet it makes zero sense that this is a reflection of Stafford like the opinion insinuates.

How so? Big numbers, not even so much as a playoff win? Multiple coaches have come and gone and yet Stafford remains.
How so? Big numbers, not even so much as a playoff win? Multiple coaches have come and gone and yet Stafford remains.

I'm saying that the big numbers are used against Stafford when the only reason he is in the situation he is in is because his team is garbage.

Stafford isnt a great QB but he has literally played with trash his whole career. Has he ever had a reliable running game? Dont think so. A good defense? Maybe a year or two.

With some of the QBs we have seen win playoff games the last handful of years, there is no reason to believe Stafford couldnt be the QB on a good team.

Detroit just sucks and their front office is clueless.
Originally posted by kazak13:
id rather have Jimmy G than Stafford..

I wouldn't. Stafford has never had the standard of play scheming Shanahan brings. His physical ability dwarfs Jimmy's, and Shanahan can work with that raw ability to create an MVP.

Edit -sorry for bump. I googled this and replied without checking dates.
[ Edited by Gabberwocky on Nov 2, 2020 at 3:10 PM ]
This guy wouldn't be a bad choice. He has never missed an entire season due to injury. This would be assuming Shanahan doesn't take a QB in the first round like he should. He is still only 32 years old.
Originally posted by FranchisePoster:
This guy wouldn't be a bad choice. He has never missed an entire season due to injury. This would be assuming Shanahan doesn't take a QB in the first round like he should. He is still only 32 years old.

Wow, I had no idea he was that young! Didn't he come out of the same draft as Matt Ryan?
Shanahan with Stafford can be a dangerous combination. One things for sure this definitely won't be a horizontal passing game anymore, Stafford always had massive talent and always put up huge numbers and that was playing for such a horrific franchise. He was never the problem in Detroit
Oh jeez Stafford on this team and Kyle's play calling will elevate him so much Stafford deserves to leave Detroit.

I don't expect any other position to have a great influence on winning. This is why QBs are paid the big bucks.

Are you seriously saying the Stafford surrounded by the 49er team wouldn't have had a more successful career?

My problem is that because of current rules, there are a lot of guys who's stats will totally dwarf guys from a previous era and modern analysts use these gaudy numbers to minimize what players in previous eras did- even though the stats these guys are accumulating never translate into important wins. Tell me about all of the great/memorable Matthew Stafford games....
Originally posted by Stanley:

Are you seriously saying the Stafford surrounded by the 49er team wouldn't have had a more successful career?

I'm saying what I said about Stafford's career in Detroit. Everything I said was about his tenure in Detroit. Where in there did I mention him being on the 49ers?

With that said, if you're giving me the option and Jimmy and Matthew, I'm absolutely taking Stafford. Stafford will at least go down field and will have weapons at every skill position. He will have opportunities like he's never had in his career.

I'm saying that the big numbers are used against Stafford when the only reason he is in the situation he is in is because his team is garbage.

Stafford isnt a great QB but he has literally played with trash his whole career. Has he ever had a reliable running game? Dont think so. A good defense? Maybe a year or two.

With some of the QBs we have seen win playoff games the last handful of years, there is no reason to believe Stafford couldnt be the QB on a good team.

Detroit just sucks and their front office is clueless.

Also..I 100% agree with you on this. I thought you were trying to make Stafford into something bigger than what he was. But you summed up his career pretty accurately.

If this is the angle, I'm all on board for upgrading from Jimmy.
  • NM16
  • Veteran
I would not be mad at all with Stafford as our qb next season
Sttaford or Wentz i´ll be ok with either one next season...
Share 49ersWebzone