LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Easy guy to root for and despite all the s**t people say about him as a player has had a very good career
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by cciowa:
thought i would come here and see if anyone is talking about his horrific injury and his recovery from it and the special on tv friday. guess i will check back later

Yep. No surprise that it has already devolved into the same old s**t.

Dude admits Smith is a "nice guy and great human being" and then questions why some people might root for him to succeed. YOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION.

Why people root for Alex Smith is not a hard thing to understand. Its the same reason why a lot of us will continue to root for Marquise Goodwin. Great people who played for our team. Why people have the opinions they have of him as a player is an entirely separate conversation.
Holy crap, I just saw those pics of his leg. It was like something from a zombie movie.

Best of wishes to him and his family.
all the best to Alex! good dude, I wish things would of worked out for him here with us
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Never understood 49er fans obsession with Alex. He was the first overall pick and after a few injuries and coaching carousels he proved to be a very mediocre quarterback.

Extremely nice guy and great human being I'm sure, but the devotion the fans show him is beyond me.

Mediocre doesn't beat Drew Bress in the playoffs.

Well, he wasn't playing Drew Brees 1v1 in that game... but he did have the game of his life. Then proceeded to s**t the bed against the Giants the next week, but I digress.

Again, I like him, but he's no better than Tim Rattay... the adoration just confuses me is all.

That's a very simplistic way of assessing him as a QB. The Giants had one of... If not the best pass rush in the last 20 years or so.

I was at that game. It wasn't good conditions and had Williams not fumbled twice he probably has a Superbowl ring.

Saying he's a good as Tim f**king Rattay tells you everything you need to know about your "understanding" of the quarterback position.

Agreed. Comparing him to Tim Rattay of all Qbs lol
I have a lot of respect for Alex Smith. It wasn't his fault that he got drafted 1st overall and then proceeded to have one coach after another during his early career. Once we got Harbaugh and built a decent team around him he began to play better. When he went to KC he continued to improve and would likely still be there if they hadn't drafted Mahomes. He handled the switch to Kap with class and never became a disrupter on the team during that period. His injury was really serious and even though I would like to see him play again, it might be best to retire. It's not worth ending up crippled and in pain for the rest of your life. Not for Dan Snyder.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Apr 29, 2020 at 2:03 PM ]
Damn hate to see that.

Even if he sucked for 99.99% of his time with the 9ers, he was still a good dude.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Never understood 49er fans obsession with Alex. He was the first overall pick and after a few injuries and coaching carousels he proved to be a very mediocre quarterback.

Extremely nice guy and great human being I'm sure, but the devotion the fans show him is beyond me.

Mediocre doesn't beat Drew Bress in the playoffs.

Well, he wasn't playing Drew Brees 1v1 in that game... but he did have the game of his life. Then proceeded to s**t the bed against the Giants the next week, but I digress.

Again, I like him, but he's no better than Tim Rattay... the adoration just confuses me is all.

That's a very simplistic way of assessing him as a QB. The Giants had one of... If not the best pass rush in the last 20 years or so.

I was at that game. It wasn't good conditions and had Williams not fumbled twice he probably has a Superbowl ring.

Saying he's a good as Tim f**king Rattay tells you everything you need to know about your "understanding" of the quarterback position.

Agreed. Comparing him to Tim Rattay of all Qbs lol

if i remember right that game it was raining and all our WR were injured as well

we had kyle williams and brett swain in our top 3 receivers that year if im not mistaken
  • dj43

Stop it. Just stop. Clear?
  • dj43
It may seem strange that he still wants to come back and play, however, that desire alone may be why he still has a leg at all.

I spent a lot of years around top-end snow skiers and saw some awful injuries. Lindsay Vonn is one example of a skier whose desire to ski took her beyond what doctors ever thought she could do. She succeeded only because of her will to push through all the grueling rehab that it took.

That photo of his leg was horrific.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Why people root for Alex Smith is not a hard thing to understand. Its the same reason why a lot of us will continue to root for Marquise Goodwin. Great people who played for our team. Why people have the opinions they have of him as a player is an entirely separate conversation.

I'm indifferent towards Quise. We didn't draft him, so don't feel that's same connection. Also, I'll admit this may be unwarranted, but it seems like he mailed it in a bit after he got paid. He took a lot of games off, literally
Originally posted by ritz126:
if i remember right that game it was raining and all our WR were injured as well

we had kyle williams and brett swain in our top 3 receivers that year if im not mistaken

I was at the game. A bit of a drizzle, but rain wasn't too much of a factor from what I recall.

His wideouts were garbage and he hit VD for a few big plays. He played really conservative that night, but we would have won if Kyle Williams didn't f**k us over.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
That photo of his leg was horrific.

i guess i will have to watch the special.. but was the complications created by doctor incompetence or just a unlucky infection?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by ritz126:

I was at the game. A bit of a drizzle, but rain wasn't too much of a factor from what I recall.

His wideouts were garbage and he hit VD for a few big plays. He played really conservative that night, but we would have won if Kyle Williams didn't f**k us over.

i will just say... the wet field was an issue when jh and roman made it an issue... who the f**k calls for a reverse with a wet ball on a wet field in a big game like that which failed miserably and led to the giants touchdown... the very first signs i had that roman was actually a idiot
Share 49ersWebzone