LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DrEll:
It's a shame. Guys like Alex and Jimmy are the perfect faces of a franchise. Class acts that dress the part, say all the right things. Good leaders. Good role models.

sucks that their on field production couldn't hack it for this storied franchise….

We were an expansion level talent when we got alex and the horrible coaches didnt help either
it really is a pity its pretty obvious one of the biggest what if would be if we had decent talent and coaching for him the whole time cause its pretty clear to me based on his career he would've been a great to excellent qb imo
[ Edited by ritz126 on Feb 5, 2022 at 6:54 AM ]
Originally posted by ritz126:
It's a shame. Guys like Alex and Jimmy are the perfect faces of a franchise. Class acts that dress the part, say all the right things. Good leaders. Good role models.

sucks that their on field production couldn't hack it for this storied franchise….

We were an expansion level talent when we got alex and the horrible coaches didnt help either
it really is a pity its pretty obvious one of the biggest what if would be if we had decent talent and coaching for him the whole time cause its pretty clear to me based on his career he would've been a great to excellent qb imo

Interestingly enough a QB like Alex would have killed it right out the gate if he was drafted now (or really anytime after 2014) when the idea of having a mobile QB is pretty much considered a must. Mike Nolan really tried to fit a square peg in a round hole for a good 3 years. SMH.

If we had our current coaching staff back in 2005 I bet Alex would've turned into one hell of a qb. He became pretty good once he got good coaching.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Interestingly enough a QB like Alex would have killed it right out the gate if he was drafted now (or really anytime after 2014) when the idea of having a mobile QB is pretty much considered a must. Mike Nolan really tried to fit a square peg in a round hole for a good 3 years. SMH.

And don't forget the spread offense he ran in college. There was zero translation to the NFL back then for spread college QBs. Now the transition is much easier.
Also the shoulder injury.

Smith could've been really good.

If Rodgers went to SF and Smith to GB, knowing what we know now in hindsight, Smith isn't Packers QB until at least 2008 (barring an injury to Favre which was unlikely for the iron man), and Rodgers would've started in 2005.

Careers would've certainly been closer. Smith likely a franchise QB, and Rodgers too even with the lumps.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

If Rodgers went to SF and Smith to GB, knowing what we know now in hindsight, Smith isn't Packers QB until at least 2008 (barring an injury to Favre which was unlikely for the iron man), and Rodgers would've started in 2005.

Careers would've certainly been closer. Smith likely a franchise QB, and Rodgers too even with the lumps.

i firmly believe Rodgers wouldn't be the QB he was today

he had to rework his entire throwing motion and footwork he wouldnt have been able to do that here
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

This is what i always cite with Smith. It wasn't just the injury either, he was bullied into playing with it. If he had the surgery ASAP he may have recovered, instead how much extra damage was done?

And it changed his throwing ability, he could no longer physically throw 50+ yards.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Can we bring him on as QB coach!! Do it, Kyle!

• dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Can we bring him on as QB coach!! Do it, Kyle!

It would certainly help Lance learn how to play behind a less than stellar PP OL.
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by eastie:
I know it's off topic but Prayers to Alex Smith and his family as his daughter, Sloane, recovers from emergency surgery to remove a tumor from her brain. Alex is a stand up guy and this is some real tough stuff for a family to go through.

OMG, prayers up. I didn't know. TY!

Here's the link ...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/06/25/alex-smith-shares-story-daughters-battle-rare-brain-tumor/7734600001/

Like him or not no one should have to deal with a sick kid.
Prayers for the Smith family and little Sloane 🙏🙏
Yes. This guy has been through some difficult times.
i don't know how true it is from the other threads, but damn if it is.... <3 ALEX! stay strong!
Share 49ersWebzone