LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

DirecTV Rethinks NFL Sunday Ticket Deal Amid Cord-Cutting

Shop 49ers game tickets
I usually get the ticket. Wonder how they will handle it this year if season is cancelled after it starts
Nfl should let amazon and some other streaming services in on this.
[ Edited by lamontb on Jul 20, 2020 at 7:00 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Nfl should let amazon and some other streaming services in on this.

All of them. Charge like the MLB does.
NFL Sunday Ticket apparently leaving DIRECTV for ESPN+ after 2022 season, Amazon gets Thursday Night Football, so basically if you want to see the 49ers if you're out of market you have to now stream it only, I get it's the future, but, not everyone has fast ISPs, I don't understand why they wouldn't just have it on every TV provider, plus streaming options, more people will buy it. Just so stupid.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
NFL Sunday Ticket apparently leaving DIRECTV for ESPN+ after 2022 season, Amazon gets Thursday Night Football, so basically if you want to see the 49ers if you're out of market you have to now stream it only, I get it's the future, but, not everyone has fast ISPs, I don't understand why they wouldn't just have it on every TV provider, plus streaming options, more people will buy it. Just so stupid.

If your internet doesn't provide fast enough speeds I suggest mobile hot spotting. Watching a team when living outside the market just got a lot cheaper this is a win.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

If your internet doesn't provide fast enough speeds I suggest mobile hot spotting. Watching a team when living outside the market just got a lot cheaper this is a win.

I mean I have good speeds, the issue is it's not reliable, it drops, I lose it one minute, it's annoying I'll be watching someone on my Apple TV and then it buffers, stops, no internet detected, even have ethernet connected to it. Also ATT is denying the report, and NFL.com's article mentions nothing about the ST, some are saying ATT is negotiating to get the TV rights, while ESPN+ would get streaming. I just think it's f**king stupid to do streaming only, not everyone in the country has high speed internet, some areas can't get Cable or Fiber Optic like FIOS or UVerse.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
This is dumb. Article says directv loses $500M a season because of the difference between the revenue from people buying sunday ticket and the $1.5B they give the NFL....but fail to take into account all of the people who only have directv simply to get the sunday ticket.

Good point
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I've cut the cord and switched to Youtube tv. Since I live in the Bay area, I'm lucky enough to get all the Niner games. Not sure how else I'd watch if I was somewhere else. I guess illegal streams

Yeah. Illegal streams. Work pretty well. Allegedly.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
This is dumb. Article says directv loses $500M a season because of the difference between the revenue from people buying sunday ticket and the $1.5B they give the NFL....but fail to take into account all of the people who only have directv simply to get the sunday ticket.

Back when I had DerectTV, Sunday Ticket was the only reason.

I mean I have good speeds, the issue is it's not reliable, it drops, I lose it one minute, it's annoying I'll be watching someone on my Apple TV and then it buffers, stops, no internet detected, even have ethernet connected to it. Also ATT is denying the report, and NFL.com's article mentions nothing about the ST, some are saying ATT is negotiating to get the TV rights, while ESPN+ would get streaming. I just think it's f**king stupid to do streaming only, not everyone in the country has high speed internet, some areas can't get Cable or Fiber Optic like FIOS or UVerse.

ESPN+ is $4.99 or $5.99 per month. You can get it bundled with Hulu but looks like they can withhold some content. I can bundle Hulu with Disney+ for like $12 per month. Wondering if I will be able to bundle all these together for NFL games

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
ESPN+ is $4.99 or $5.99 per month. You can get it bundled with Hulu but looks like they can withhold some content. I can bundle Hulu with Disney+ for like $12 per month. Wondering if I will be able to bundle all these together for NFL games

Absolutely will be a package. Can also see being able to just have per team bundle for discount.

Absolutely will be a package. Can also see being able to just have per team bundle for discount.

A per team bundle would be a devastating blow to the illegal stream market. People would gladly pay $5 a month or whatever to not have to deal with popup ads.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

A per team bundle would be a devastating blow to the illegal stream market. People would gladly pay $5 a month or whatever to not have to deal with popup ads.

And to have more stability than some of those illegal streams.
Serious question - what's to stop the ISPs from jacking up their rates now knowing they will be the backbone for streaming?

And what's to stop ESPN+ from adding the NFL as a "premium up charge" even to existing subscribers?

Might end up costing us as fans one way or another?
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Serious question - what's to stop the ISPs from jacking up their rates now knowing they will be the backbone for streaming?

And what's to stop ESPN+ from adding the NFL as a "premium up charge" even to existing subscribers?

Might end up costing us as fans one way or another?

As far as ISPs are concerned they are the backbone of all streaming services and haven't really charged more. I doubt the NFL would change much. And yeah I do think ESPN will find a way to make more money but it will still be cheaper than DirectTV. Unless they actually start charging like 80$ a month which I seriously doubt Disney would be dumb enough to do.
Share 49ersWebzone