LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Flipper Anderson and Henry Ellard

Shop 49ers game tickets
Could these two be the most underrated WR duo of all time? I have to think they would be.

I used to recall these two WRs being difficult to cover in the '80s. Flipper has the NFL record still for yards in a game (336) and I believe both averaged over 20 yards a catch in a good season. Ellard I think nearly had a long TD on the 49ers in the '89 NFCC if it weren't for Lott's game saving knock down. Flipper had the famous walkoff TD against the Giants the week before that NFCC, were he ran straight into the locker room after his score.

So reason I bring them up is the '94 49ers/Rams SNF game popped up on YouTube (the last game of the old LA Rams versus SF). In it, Flipper burnt Deion Sanders once on a bomb and did pretty well against him and Deion had to use his HoFness to save the game at the end! Even in Flipper's later years, still dangerous.

In the comments someone remarked that Ellard gave Deion perhaps his toughest coverage assignment in his career.

Very underrated WRs, and the 49ers were never given credit for warding them off year in and year out.....meanwhile those Rams disciplined the Giants and Eagles back in the day.

I think those two were better than the Greatest Show On Turf receivers, just didn't have Kurt Warner throwing them the ball (thankfully!). Curious to hear some Flipper/Ellard stories from those that watched more back then.

Here's that last old school 49ers/LA Rams game:

1:34:35 - Flipper TD bomb against Deion
2:00:00 - 49ers final drive
2:18:26 - Rams final drive
2:22:15 - Deion with the TD bomb save

Isaac Bruce was in this game as a rookie. Last NFL game at the Stick as a Niner, 15 years later....

[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jun 29, 2019 at 1:48 PM ]
Red Cashion-- First Doannn!

Don't know how the f**k I remembered his name through all these years. But couldn't remember what to get on the grocery list just a day ago.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Red Cashion-- First Doannn!

Don't know how the f**k I remembered his name through all these years. But couldn't remember what to get on the grocery list just a day ago.

LOL, it's just how humans are wired.

I don't remember the name, but I certainly remember the voice and style!
They were ok
Man. That 94 team was fun. I miss the days when the 49ers were elite. Now we have Jed and John running the show.
Ronnie made Flipper one of his many personal beyotches
They were explosive but not great receivers.They were dangerous deep threats but not great overall.
I remember Flipper being a "fly route" dude and I remember that 300+ yard game. But I'm not sure he was great on routes. I do think Ellard was a bit under the radar.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
They were explosive but not great receivers.They were dangerous deep threats but not great overall.

Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
I remember Flipper being a "fly route" dude and I remember that 300+ yard game. But I'm not sure he was great on routes. I do think Ellard was a bit under the radar.

I think you guys are right. Great deep threat one trick ponies......kinda like Alvin Harper.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Man. That 94 team was fun. I miss the days when the 49ers were elite. Now we have Jed and John running the show.

Patience

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Jerry & John >>>>>> Flipper & Henry
Originally posted by boast:
Jerry & John >>>>>> Flipper & Henry

Flipper was not all that but calling Henry Ellard a one trick pony is just silly. You do not catch over 800 balls and last 15 years in the NFL being a one trick pony. People calling him that obviously never watched him.
A link to an article on Ellard that folks who think he was a one trick pony should read.

http://pigskinnut.com/legend-profile-wr-henry-ellard/
Jerry and JT as good as it can ever be.
Share 49ersWebzone