There are 224 users in the forums

Kaden Smith - TE- Stanford, claimed by NY Giants

Tickets Find deals on 49ers games ⇨
  • 91til
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 334
bump. excited about this guy
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Kyle is gonna have to scheme this guy open because got damn he's slow, every highlight the defender is right up on him but like every defender these days they don't turn their head around. He high points the ball which is great but we'll see at the nfl level
With Kittle, Deebo, McKinnon, and Pettis on the field, Kaden Smith is already open. He's the classic safety net TE that's reliable in the redzone or on 3rd down to sit down in a zone. He won't outrun anyone, but he doesn't need to. Just catch the ball when it comes his way.
[ Edited by BleedsRedNGold on May 13, 2019 at 11:25 AM ]
As it pertains to "contested catches" -- it's not necessarily just about being able to catch a ball when the defender's all over you. It's also about being able to take a hit and maintain control (something our guys have been terrible at).

It's interesting, one thing you notice over time is, not all 6-5 255 players are alike. The numbers may be the same for some, but body composition can be totally different. Some guys look soft and just don't absorb hits well. From what I've seen of Kaden, he's not easy to move. Dude looks like a brick wall when contacted. Obviously, we'll see if that continues at the NFL level, but that's one positive that I like to see if I'm looking for that traditional tight end.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
As it pertains to "contested catches" -- it's not necessarily just about being able to catch a ball when the defender's all over you. It's also about being able to take a hit and maintain control (something our guys have been terrible at).

It's interesting, one thing you notice over time is, not all 6-5 255 players are alike. The numbers may be the same for some, but body composition can be totally different. Some guys look soft and just don't absorb hits well. From what I've seen of Kaden, he's not easy to move. Dude looks like a brick wall when contacted. Obviously, we'll see if that continues at the NFL level, but that's one positive that I like to see if I'm looking for that traditional tight end.

He does play like a slower Jason Witten. He's not gonna fill in for what Kittle does but he could give us 1-3 clutch catches a game that we need.
I've seen Kaden play in a number of games the past two seasons...he's clutch. Throw it near him, he'll catch it, contested or not. He's a tough cookie, and I'm sure Niner fans will love watching him play. Coach Shaw has produced quite a few players for the NFL...Smith is a typical Stanford grad...smart, tough and ready for the pros. See ya, Celek.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,128
LOVE the 'TUDE !!!

Defenders won't respect him much because of the reported speed, and next thing they know, the guy will have fewer catches than Kittle for lesser yards but will always make the key catches if not the winning TD!!
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Kyle is gonna have to scheme this guy open because got damn he's slow, every highlight the defender is right up on him but like every defender these days they don't turn their head around. He high points the ball which is great but we'll see at the nfl level
With Kittle, Deebo, McKinnon, and Pettis on the field, Kaden Smith is already open. He's the classic safety net TE that's reliable in the redzone or on 3rd down to sit down in a zone. He won't outrun anyone, but he doesn't need to. Just catch the ball when it comes his way.
This. Even though all our rookies are unproven, no defensive coordinator is spending time figuring out how to stop Kaden Smith. If he does the bolded, then this will be a good pick.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,400
Originally posted by NCommand:

Like I said earlier, if he's lucky, Kittle might give Kaden his sweaty drawers to take home the night after a hard fought game...
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Like I said earlier, if he's lucky, Kittle might give Kaden his sweaty drawers to take home the night after a hard fought game...

Look at the clip of him requiring 5 defenders to get him onto the ground. I mean, that's NFL caliber strength. When's the last time you saw Celek do that?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,400
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Look at the clip of him requiring 5 defenders to get him onto the ground. I mean, that's NFL caliber strength. When's the last time you saw Celek do that?

LOL this clip right above? I see one guy shove him onto the ground, that's all it took

I'll give him this, he has better hands than Celek and if he has only a decent camp (doesn't have to be great, just good), that may seal Celek's fate here. Having said that, he still would be lucky just to hold a candle to Kittle's dirty drawers.

He says he's coming in to fight for Kittle's spot. That's funny.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Look at the clip of him requiring 5 defenders to get him onto the ground. I mean, that's NFL caliber strength. When's the last time you saw Celek do that?

LOL this clip right above? I see one guy shove him onto the ground, that's all it took

I'll give him this, he has better hands than Celek and if he has only a decent camp (doesn't have to be great, just good), that may seal Celek's fate here. Having said that, he still would be lucky just to hold a candle to Kittle's dirty drawers.

That clip above he was leaping with his back to the goal posts falling on his back lol, his momentum was already carrying him to the ground. I'm talking about another clip from that twitter thread against Oregon.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
He says he's coming in to fight for Kittle's spot. That's funny.

Every rookie should be saying this, they shouldn't say "Oh I hope I just make the roster or be the #2 guy" they should want to be the guy, even if they won't, competition makes everyone better.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,128
HAHH !!

i think I may have just found his nickname !!!

... and because he's all hands, I'm now calling him..

KADEN " The Hands That Rocks The Cradle " SMITH !!
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
He says he's coming in to fight for Kittle's spot. That's funny.

Every rookie should be saying this, they shouldn't say "Oh I hope I just make the roster or be the #2 guy" they should want to be the guy, even if they won't, competition makes everyone better.

Show respect, earn respect.
Share 49erswebzone