There are 161 users in the forums

Kaden Smith - TE- Stanford, claimed by NY Giants

Tickets Find deals on 49ers games ⇨
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
big and knows how to use his size to make catches but he is slow AF.

As TE2/3 I don't have a problem with that. He would have been taken around the third had he been fast. My priorities are, safe hands first and decent blocking second. I don't know about the blocking but he can certainly catch the ball. We didn't want a Kittle mark 2, and we couldn't afford a high pick.

Happy with this.

Me too. Besides, Hurd is going to be our Hernandez for the passing game with Kittle...minus the CTE and murder.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I'll tell you right now that Kaden is not a replacement for Celek. He will be our TE 3 and be used mostly for blocking. Celeks replacement has yet to be drafted IMO.

  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,969
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This was a head scratcher pick for me....this draft was chalk full of TE talent and while it was a 6th rd pick they should have been able to maneuver around to get someone better IMO.

Foster Moreau in the late 4th would have been much better IMO.

whatever I guess, I'm not gonna hold my breath on this kid.

Kyle's proven to be able to strike gold at the TE position in the 5th round. This guy was one round later, so maybe Kyle strikes silver instead of gold.

TE2...already has a better skill set than Celek and looks like a great option on seam routes especially in the RZ.

Yup, like you said in another thread, Kittle gets the double team and this guy gets free.

Again, if this was true celek would have been this last year correct? Our redzone offense would have been sooooo much better because ky lm e can scheme players open and Kittle's double teams leave them open.

Yea, i'm not seeing it

I was reading (I think) on this thread about his 3-cone and and short area quickness. If he's not fast, but quick in a short area and has good verticals, I think he'll have a higher ceiling than Celek. And probably will be better than Celek. Celek was neither fast nor quick from what I saw of him, but he was productive because he had good hands.

Kyle has had some good luck recently with TE's and I hope his luck continues.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
big and knows how to use his size to make catches but he is slow AF.

As TE2/3 I don't have a problem with that. He would have been taken around the third had he been fast. My priorities are, safe hands first and decent blocking second. I don't know about the blocking but he can certainly catch the ball. We didn't want a Kittle mark 2, and we couldn't afford a high pick.

Happy with this.

Me too. Besides, Hurd is going to be our Hernandez for the passing game with Kittle...minus the CTE and murder.

I'm guessing he probably blocks well because Stanford runs a pro style offense that is run oriented. Blocking is a must in that style.
I've been watching Kaden the last couple of seasons...he's got a knack for making big catches. He's not fast at all, but that didn't seem to be an issue at Stanford...he gets open, catches the ball and is good in the RZ. I'll be shocked if he's not TE 2.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I've been watching Kaden the last couple of seasons...he's got a knack for making big catches. He's not fast at all, but that didn't seem to be an issue at Stanford...he gets open, catches the ball and is good in the RZ. I'll be shocked if he's not TE 2.

He looks like a seam route master...staple of the WCO.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm guessing he probably blocks well because Stanford runs a pro style offense that is run oriented. Blocking is a must in that style.

Thank you!

Well...duh.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,210
His salary alone should push Celek ..
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,969
Originally posted by krizay:
Again, if this was true celek would have been this last year correct? Our redzone offense would have been sooooo much better because ky lm e can scheme players open and Kittle's double teams leave them open.

Yea, i'm not seeing it

Well Celek is the 2nd TE and if we played a two TE offense you'd see more of Celek, but we dont and you see more of Bourne and Taylor, and they did pretty decent last year in terms of production. Kittle was a machine last year, I dont think he makes the same numbers simply because the talent surrounding him has gotten better.

Somehow I don't think that 4.66 40 time will matter with this guy. He's going to make key catches for Shanny.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I've been watching Kaden the last couple of seasons...he's got a knack for making big catches. He's not fast at all, but that didn't seem to be an issue at Stanford...he gets open, catches the ball and is good in the RZ. I'll be shocked if he's not TE 2.

how is his run blocking?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I've been watching Kaden the last couple of seasons...he's got a knack for making big catches. He's not fast at all, but that didn't seem to be an issue at Stanford...he gets open, catches the ball and is good in the RZ. I'll be shocked if he's not TE 2.

He looks like a seam route master...staple of the WCO.


Wasn't he consider a top end TE prospect at the beginning of this yr?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I've been watching Kaden the last couple of seasons...he's got a knack for making big catches. He's not fast at all, but that didn't seem to be an issue at Stanford...he gets open, catches the ball and is good in the RZ. I'll be shocked if he's not TE 2.

He looks like a seam route master...staple of the WCO.


Wasn't he consider a top end TE prospect at the beginning of this yr?

I should be asking you that. LOL.

MD had him at #132...saw many 3rd round grades.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Me too. Besides, Hurd is going to be our Hernandez for the passing game with Kittle...minus the CTE and murder.

This is what the 49ers are doing, copying the patriots model on offense. Getting a qb that plays like Brady,2-3 rbs that can catch, a dominant te, shifty slot and solid wrs.
Share 49erswebzone