Kaden Smith - TE- Stanford, claimed by NY Giants

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
People get way to caught up in 40 times, I have no issue with the Smith pick, he was productive in 2 seasons at Stanford, 7 TDs, there's a reason I hate the combine, it makes no sense to judge a player by what they do in shorts vs on tape.

I never said anything about 40 time. I never said anything about the combine. In fact the one thing i said was he couldn't get open in yhe pac 12. That was from watching "tape" not watching combine highlights.

Wouldn't worry about it. With all the weapons at Kyle's disposal, he'll be able to get open.

Kyle could get any one of us open on a crossing route. No one should be worried.

If that was true there wouldn't have been a need
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Dude looks pretty average
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
People get way to caught up in 40 times, I have no issue with the Smith pick, he was productive in 2 seasons at Stanford, 7 TDs, there's a reason I hate the combine, it makes no sense to judge a player by what they do in shorts vs on tape.

I never said anything about 40 time. I never said anything about the combine. In fact the one thing i said was he couldn't get open in yhe pac 12. That was from watching "tape" not watching combine highlights.

Wouldn't worry about it. With all the weapons at Kyle's disposal, he'll be able to get open.

Kyle could get any one of us open on a crossing route. No one should be worried.

If that was true there wouldn't have been a need
It's true, he could get me open. I might not catch it, get any YAC, or be willing to block, but I would be open.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

not a bad thing imo. naturally we want all of our draft picks to be homeruns but i'd settle for an average TE in the 5th, especially across from kittle.
Like every pick on day 3, I think there were players available who could have helped us more when we picked him.

But he's still the day 3 pick I'm the happiest with. I can see how his bigger frame and ability to catch in traffic could be a nice compliment to Kittle. He won't be as flashy for sure... but he looks like he can make tough catches and plow his way for a few extra yards when needed.

Its a shame too since they missed out on all that All Pro caliber talent in the 6th round.
big and knows how to use his size to make catches but he is slow AF.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This was a head scratcher pick for me....this draft was chalk full of TE talent and while it was a 6th rd pick they should have been able to maneuver around to get someone better IMO.

Foster Moreau in the late 4th would have been much better IMO.

whatever I guess, I'm not gonna hold my breath on this kid.

Kyle's proven to be able to strike gold at the TE position in the 5th round. This guy was one round later, so maybe Kyle strikes silver instead of gold.

TE2...already has a better skill set than Celek and looks like a great option on seam routes especially in the RZ.

Yup, like you said in another thread, Kittle gets the double team and this guy gets free.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
big and knows how to use his size to make catches but he is slow AF.

As TE2/3 I don't have a problem with that. He would have been taken around the third had he been fast. My priorities are, safe hands first and decent blocking second. I don't know about the blocking but he can certainly catch the ball. We didn't want a Kittle mark 2, and we couldn't afford a high pick.

Happy with this.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I don't put much stock into it but Lindy's draft mag had Kaden Smith as a 2nd to 3rd round pick. Like I said I don't put much stock into their opinion but it catches my eye that someone thought of him as a 2nd round pick. IMO very solid pick by the 49ers.

• krizay
  • Veteran
This was a head scratcher pick for me....this draft was chalk full of TE talent and while it was a 6th rd pick they should have been able to maneuver around to get someone better IMO.

Kyle's proven to be able to strike gold at the TE position in the 5th round. This guy was one round later, so maybe Kyle strikes silver instead of gold.

TE2...already has a better skill set than Celek and looks like a great option on seam routes especially in the RZ.

Yup, like you said in another thread, Kittle gets the double team and this guy gets free.

Again, if this was true celek would have been this last year correct? Our redzone offense would have been sooooo much better because ky lm e can scheme players open and Kittle's double teams leave them open.

Yea, i'm not seeing it

Again, if this was true celek would have been this last year correct? Our redzone offense would have been sooooo much better because ky lm e can scheme players open and Kittle's double teams leave them open.

Yea, i'm not seeing it

Celek pulled in a few but he wasn't that good last year. And with the 2nd and 3rd string qb's.......
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
If Drew Sample is a second rounder, I can live with Kaden Smith in the sixth round.
Not a homerun. Not at all!
Just a solid player and in the sixth round that ´s all you can ask for.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Its a shame too since they missed out on all that All Pro caliber talent in the 6th round.

I'll tell you right now that Kaden is not a replacement for Celek. He will be our TE 3 and be used mostly for blocking. Celeks replacement has yet to be drafted IMO.
Originally posted by pdc20:
If Drew Sample is a second rounder, I can live with Kaden Smith in the sixth round.
Not a homerun. Not at all!
Just a solid player and in the sixth round that ´s all you can ask for.

Drew Sample was probably the worst second round pick in the draft. Wtf were they thinking?!
Share 49ersWebzone