Originally posted by GORO:
I love his hands.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Does this guy run in quick sand......dam he slow

Tell me what Garrett Celeks 40 time is right now?

4.72 at the combine. Better than this guy by a lot. 4.7 is kind of functional for a TE in the NFL. 4.9 is not.

4.7 at the Combine but what is it now? What was TJ Hockersons 40? You people put too much stock in 40 times.

4.72 at the combine. Better than this guy by a lot. 4.7 is kind of functional for a TE in the NFL. 4.9 is not.

4.7 at the Combine but what is it now? What was TJ Hockersons 40? You people put too much stock in 40 times.

Jerry Rice would agree.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Kyle is gonna have to scheme this guy open because got damn he's slow, every highlight the defender is right up on him but like every defender these days they don't turn their head around. He high points the ball which is great but we'll see at the nfl level

The 2nd TE isn't going to be a deep threat, at least I hope not. Kaden is going to be a blocker for the run game and probably a red zone target. The starting TE needs to be all around a good athlete, fast, agile, can catch passes, etc... the 2nd TE needs to have different charateristics. Unless you are operating a one back set and your offense is centered around a two tight end set, which Kyle's offense is not.

I'd like a second TE that can catch passes and block on runs. Speed isn't a primary importance for the 2nd string TE. He's going to be possibility a backup Full back too where blocking and strength is more important than speed.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Dude is definitely slow BUT has terrific hands and makes some nice, contested catches. Looks like a more traditional TE that knows how to pick his spots in a D. Maybe Kittle gives him so pointers on how to be a little faster/quicker at their size

He is definitely slow as hell, but, all you need to win in the NFL is an ability to consistently convert 1st downs. It boggles my mind teams oftentimes forget and go for the deeper pass when it isn't necessary. When everyone is doubling Kittle, Kaden will be converting 1st downs and that is all I care about with him.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Dude is definitely slow BUT has terrific hands and makes some nice, contested catches. Looks like a more traditional TE that knows how to pick his spots in a D. Maybe Kittle gives him so pointers on how to be a little faster/quicker at their size

He is definitely slow as hell, but, all you need to win in the NFL is an ability to consistently convert 1st downs. It boggles my mind teams oftentimes forget and go for the deeper pass when it isn't necessary. When everyone is doubling Kittle, Kaden will be converting 1st downs and that is all I care about with him.

All he has to excel at is finding a soft spot in zone coverage and boxing out defenders. This offense now has enough threats to take it to the house on any given play that the second TE is gonna be an afterthought. RB's going out for passes, Hurd/Deebo/James running fly sweeps, Kittle drawing the coverage to his side... Get a TE with good hands, intelligence to read zone and big enough to box out... there is allot of potential offensive impact there. Not quantity-wise but quality in converting key plays.

Thats all assuming he can block at an average TE level.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Apr 28, 2019 at 9:28 PM ]
Good pick nice value ...
This guy is incredible. His vert is great for contested catches and while not fast he has great hands and wins all 50/50 balls. Most his best plays were on 3rd down dam!!!! This guy will be our #2
Originally posted by elguapo:
This guy is incredible. His vert is great for contested catches and while not fast he has great hands and wins all 50/50 balls. Most his best plays were on 3rd down dam!!!! This guy will be our #2

He has to go thru Ross Dwelley first and oNe dOeS nOt siMpLy tAkE hIs sPoT

Man watched his 40 the dude is slow, but he can high point the ball and catch. Long as he can do that an block he is good with me.

People ignoring that his 3 cone was top 5 of all TE's at the combine so 40 isn't the whole story. That and his height, contested catch ability, and ability to find soft spots in zones made him a top 3 TE on tape/production in a major conference.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:

People ignoring that his 3 cone was top 5 of all TE's at the combine so 40 isn't the whole story. That and his height, contested catch ability, and ability to find soft spots in zones made him a top 3 TE on tape/production in a major conference.

Yea, that's cool and all. But dude cant get open. If he can't get open in the pac 12 I don't have high hopes for him to get open in the pros.

And before i get the Shanny can scheme him open 's. If it were so easy celek would have been doing it to this point.

We are replacing celek with a younger version of celek. As much as i wanted to draft a TE. I fear we went with the wrong one. Such is life I guess.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:

Yea, that's cool and all. But dude cant get open. If he can't get open in the pac 12 I don't have high hopes for him to get open in the pros.

And before i get the Shanny can scheme him open 's. If it were so easy celek would have been doing it to this point.

We are replacing celek with a younger version of celek. As much as i wanted to draft a TE. I fear we went with the wrong one. Such is life I guess.

People get way to caught up in 40 times, I have no issue with the Smith pick, he was productive in 2 seasons at Stanford, 7 TDs, there's a reason I hate the combine, it makes no sense to judge a player by what they do in shorts vs on tape.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Did he run at his pro day? I wonder how that compared to his combine time. I think he was good value in the 6th and will be a weapon on 3rd down and red zone
Share 49ersWebzone