LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Black Coaches Fired

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Anthony Lynn is a top 5 head coach in the league right now. They should be more like him.

And he had a rough first year with game management. He got better

"rough first year". They went 9-7, lol.

I wish Shanahan produced these kinds of results. But we have to be patient with him and hope Garrapolo can get us above .500 next year.

He had twice the talent that year that Shanahan had.
  • dj43
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by dj43:
Nate Burleson had a very good comment on Monday. He said football players and coaches are color blind. It is the media that makes a big deal about color.

(He went on to say he had no issue with any of the firings except for Steve Wilks because he only had one year.)

Color blind = racism

Burleson is black.

Not sure what this means?

I was in a hurry...

Burleson was speaking as a black former player saying that it doesn't matter to the players and coaches as to color. They are all just players.

He did go on to say that as a "man of color" (his words) apart from his being a former player, he wanted to see more black men in top level positions.

Got it

In short, Burleson is agreeing with the OP that much of the talk about black coaches being fired is from the media, not from people who follow pro football.

A lot of the people in the media talking about this issue are former black football players. So I'm not sure where Burleson is getting his info. I was watching this on almost ever sports channel this morning and a lot of ex players are talking about it.

Burleson is differentiating between what football people know about this particular group of firings and what needs to happen in society as a whole. Using the firings as a reason to support equality is weak because football people knew all these guys were not getting the job done and because they were black does not mean they should have retained their jobs.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Nate Burleson had a very good comment on Monday. He said football players and coaches are color blind. It is the media that makes a big deal about color.

(He went on to say he had no issue with any of the firings except for Steve Wilks because he only had one year.)

Color blind = racism

Personally, I would like to live in a world where you are judged by your character and not the color of your skin. Being color blind is the only way to end racism.

Check this out:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/culturally-speaking/201112/colorblind-ideology-is-form-racism

Trust me. I know all about this idea. I took many classes that covered the subject in college and again Universities have failed their students by pushing this crap. Same as the idea of white privilege that is pushed as well. I'm left leaning politically but the Universities are becoming more and more toxic. Being 'color blind' means to me is that you don't judge someone solely based on the color of their skin. Period. It doesn't imply crap like this.

From the article: "Colorblindness creates a society that denies their negative racial experiences, rejects their cultural heritage, and invalidates their unique perspectives... "The need for colorblindness implies there is something shameful about the way God made me and the culture I was born into that we shouldn't talk about".

Who you identify with, your race, your gender, your sexual preference, your skin tone, and your religion doesn't matter to me. Who you are does.

Thanks for clearing that up, you are only talking about "your opinion" and how "you" see things through "your lens".

There is a reason why people who study this stuff for a living will conduct research and not just give their opinion on this matter.

Once again thanks for clearing that up.

Color blind = racism

Burleson is black.

Not sure what this means?

I was in a hurry...

Burleson was speaking as a black former player saying that it doesn't matter to the players and coaches as to color. They are all just players.

He did go on to say that as a "man of color" (his words) apart from his being a former player, he wanted to see more black men in top level positions.

Got it

In short, Burleson is agreeing with the OP that much of the talk about black coaches being fired is from the media, not from people who follow pro football.

A lot of the people in the media talking about this issue are former black football players. So I'm not sure where Burleson is getting his info. I was watching this on almost ever sports channel this morning and a lot of ex players are talking about it.

Burleson is differentiating between what football people know about this particular group of firings and what needs to happen in society as a whole. Using the firings as a reason to support equality is weak because football people knew all these guys were not getting the job done and because they were black does not mean they should have retained their jobs.

Well that is different than what you said before about this being a "media issue" more so then a "people who follow the NFL" issue. So what is it?
It also seems as though you are using Burlenson to speak for you, why so heavy on interpreting what Burlenson said?

Who you identify with, your race, your gender, your sexual preference, your skin tone, and your religion doesn't matter to me. Who you are does.

I chortled reading this. That was the point of the article - those things make people who they are. When you are a part of a underprivileged minority, it shapes so much about your life and world experience that it's intrinsically a part of your identity.

"Colorblindness," "I don't see race/gender/whatever attribute," or "why can't we all just focus on what we have in common?" are just calls (unconsciously maybe, I'll give the benefit of the doubt) to have the underprivileged behave like and support the majority.
Steve Wilks statement, or somebody representing him, saying today's political climate has been a factor in hiring/firing decisions

Damn, crazy times. It's 2019 and it's a rerun
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
OP creates an outrage thread to the "fake ass BS outrage"

The internet is undefeated.
Originally posted by okdkid:
OP creates an outrage thread to the "fake ass BS outrage"

The internet is undefeated.

Hey man, call it outrage if you are too PC to discuss this stuff, but this is life in 2019. Is this micro aggression? How am I offending you today, sir?
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Color blind = racism

Personally, I would like to live in a world where you are judged by your character and not the color of your skin. Being color blind is the only way to end racism.

Check this out:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/culturally-speaking/201112/colorblind-ideology-is-form-racism

Trust me. I know all about this idea. I took many classes that covered the subject in college and again Universities have failed their students by pushing this crap. Same as the idea of white privilege that is pushed as well. I'm left leaning politically but the Universities are becoming more and more toxic. Being 'color blind' means to me is that you don't judge someone solely based on the color of their skin. Period. It doesn't imply crap like this.

From the article: "Colorblindness creates a society that denies their negative racial experiences, rejects their cultural heritage, and invalidates their unique perspectives... "The need for colorblindness implies there is something shameful about the way God made me and the culture I was born into that we shouldn't talk about".

Thanks for clearing that up, you are only talking about "your opinion" and how "you" see things through "your lens".

There is a reason why people who study this stuff for a living will conduct research and not just give their opinion on this matter.

Once again thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah, he was pretty clear.

LOL
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Tomsula should have never been hired,

Neither should have Vance Joseph. He was a coordinator for a low ranked defense for one year. He got the job largely due to personal ties with people in the Denver front office.

They are just correcting an error in judgment.

lol.. they need to start with John Elway.

I don't care too much about Vance Joseph...but I'd hate to be him and have these s**tty QBs forced upon me. Especially when there were better ones out there available.

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Tomsula should have never been hired,

Neither should have Vance Joseph. He was a coordinator for a low ranked defense for one year. He got the job largely due to personal ties with people in the Denver front office.

They are just correcting an error in judgment.

lol.. they need to start with John Elway.

I don't care too much about Vance Joseph...but I'd hate to be him and have these s**tty QBs forced upon me. Especially when there were better ones out there available.

Like Kap?
I don't see a racism problem with coaches being hired or fired in the NFL. What I do see is too many guys being hired who either aren't ready to be a head coach or just are not the right personality. The first place they usually look is coordinators who have been successful. A good coordinator doesn't automatically have the ability to be a head coach anymore than a good surgeon could be a good hospital administrator. Huge difference from designing a defensive scheme to running the whole show. The other place they look at is college coaches. Once again there is a big difference between the two jobs. College coaches may have the experience of running everything but there still is a big difference in dealing with college kids who must do what you say because you have a total roster of 100 guys waiting to replace you and highly paid pros.
Finding the right head coach is equal parts interviewing skills and luck. Not to mention surrounding him with the right players.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I think it might be a bigger issue higher up. Would having more people of color/female owners make a difference?
Originally posted by FL9er:
I think it might be a bigger issue higher up. Would having more people of color/female owners make a difference?

That's a great question.

According to Lebron James changes need to happen at the top level, here's what he said:

"In the NFL, they got a bunch of old white men owning teams and they got that slave mentality," the three-time NBA champion said, per The Post. "And it's like, 'This is my team. You do what the [explicit] I tell y'all to do. Or we get rid of y'all.'

I do find it weird that a league comprised of mostly black players has very little black representation at the top leadership levels (GM/HC). It's almost like the league is saying "you can join us but only as a player or assistant coach."
[ Edited by glorydayz on Jan 2, 2019 at 1:11 PM ]
Well this is going to get real race baity. Can't wait
Share 49ersWebzone