LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 200 users in the forums

The eagles should have traded wentz at the start of the season

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Reich is doing this with a staff assembled by Mcdaniels . You can pretty much just plug Reich on any team and improve

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000617243/article/chargers-fire-offensive-coordinator-frank-reich

Mike Mcoy last 2 years as an OC tell me he didn't let Reich have full power over the offense IMO
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Lol at trade Wentz, it's Foles ass they should've traded
Yeah, lol. Should've traded the player that:
  • took them to the Super Bowl,
  • beat Brady in a head to head aerial war,
  • was the SB MVP, and
  • is here to answer the bell again--while glamor boy is hurt again.
Got to side with BoldRedandGold on this one, as our game-winning Monday morning QB.

Yes they should have traded him. Especially because of all of the above reasons. Would you count on Foles performing at that level for 3 + seasons?
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Dec 16, 2018 at 8:56 AM ]
Honestly it doesn't matter if foles was pedestrian all season as long as they made to the playoffs. You know foles can win big games. There's so many qbs that can play fine all season and then just choke in the playoffs.

With wentz you could have gotten a massive haul and you have no idea how he performs under real pressure.

It's just really not worth the gamble between the two.

You definitely can't keep both that's just foolish greed and if I have to pick one I pick the sure thing.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
  • was the SB MVP, and
Got to side with BoldRedandGold on this one, as our game-winning Monday morning QB.

Yes they should have traded him. Especially because of all of the above reasons. Would you count on Foles performing at that level for 3 + seasons?

Who has ever done THAT for 3 plus seasons? His ability and availability shows he can be counted on.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Lolno
Originally posted by Garce:
Lolno

How not?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Wentz is 4 years younger and Foles will be turning 30 soon.

Foles had a good stretch last year but outside of that, who would have been banging the drum in the 2017 offseason to land him as a FQB ? Nobody. Wentz has way more upside, just needs to get healthy and the Eagles need to figure out how to get that offense running on a more consistent level again because it hasn't been since Reich left.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by evil:
Wentz is 4 years younger and Foles will be turning 30 soon.

Foles had a good stretch last year but outside of that, who would have been banging the drum in the 2017 offseason to land him as a FQB ? Nobody. Wentz has way more upside, just needs to get healthy and the Eagles need to figure out how to get that offense running on a more consistent level again because it hasn't been since Reich left.
Wentz has played in just 3 seasons and 2 of them have ended due to season ending injury. He plays too much hero ball and thinks he can take a pounding like big ben. Unless he changes what makes him heroic he is going to end up with a Jake Locker type of career. 30 is also the new 25 for QB's with the NFL going out of it's way to protect these guys and extend their careers.
Wentz seems to be injury-prone. A franchise qb should not have this characteristic.
I think it was Chris Collinsworth who said Foles isn't as good starting the entire season as he is coming off the bench to relieve Wentz. Some QB's just seem to work better in a relief effort over starting outright. Like he's a knight in shining armor coming in on his white horse to save the day when the starter goes down, or something. At any rate, trading Wentz definitely isn't the plan in Philly. I think he may've come back too soon plus that dreaded SB hangover that effects lots of teams the following season. They still have a lot of good players, so I wouldn't write them off by any means. I expect they'll rebound well in 2019, Wentz included.

Nick Foles has been killing it the last 2 weeks. It'll be interesting to see where he's going to land next season. Maybe one of the Florida-based teams (Jacksonville or Tampa)?
[ Edited by TWD_Fan on Dec 23, 2018 at 6:05 PM ]
Originally posted by TWD_Fan:
Nick Foles has been killing it the last 2 weeks. It'll be interesting to see where he's going to land next season. Jacksonville, maybe?

I think any team that invests heavily in Foles long term is going to wind up regretting it. He's going to get some ludicrous contract and when he can't just chuck it up to Jeffery anywhere, his performance will inevitably regress.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
  • was the SB MVP, and

Who has ever done THAT for 3 plus seasons? His ability and availability shows he can be counted on.

Not necessarily win the Super Bowl. But just performing at a high level. I don't see it.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Hindsight.

Nobody thought Wentz would stink it up this year.

Yep. And just offering him would have set alarm bells ringing. Young franchise qb's (Which is what he was supposed to be)just do not get traded.

Neither do DMVP PR in their prime.....
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Hindsight.

Nobody thought Wentz would stink it up this year.

Yep. And just offering him would have set alarm bells ringing. Young franchise qb's (Which is what he was supposed to be)just do not get traded.

Neither do DMVP PR in their prime.....
who are you referring to?
Share 49ersWebzone