LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 294 users in the forums

Starting an NFL Franchise today, Shanny or McVay?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Starting an NFL Franchise today, Shanny or McVay?

Absent Shanahan I would love to have McVay over anyone else. That said, we do have Shanahan, and I would rather have him as the 49ers head coach over anyone else.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
C'Mon man, McVay didn't forget how to coach, you still need talent. Gurley appears to be damaged goods and a defense used to playing with a lead is not so dominant anymore. Donald had a historic good year last year. How often does a DT average 20 sacks a year?
I think Shanahan is a great choice!
This thread didn't age well
Shanahan has been a known quantity for several years now. If you didn't know him by Houston (I didn't), you certainly had to know him because of RG3 and the Skins. If that wasn't enough, the Falcons Super Bowl run had to really drive it home.

Now as far as McVay, to me I had no idea who he was until after he was hired by the Rams....and I'd like to think I know a lot of position coach/coordinators in the league! I know for a fact that I had had the name mentioned to me by my Redskins friend after a bad game "our OC Sean McVay sucks".....but didn't realize he was even an HC possibility or even a kid.

To of course find out that McVay was a Shanahan disciple, it mattered nothing that he was charming or whatever...........he's still the student. Maybe a very good student, but still a student. For people to not see the disparity in talent levels of the two respective teams was disheartening.......for Niner fans, even worse. Ram homers and Seahawk fans I could understand....but not the faithful who should recognize a thing or two about coaching, let alone the son of our very own Mike Shanahan.

This season has been the biggest "I told you so" I could ever imagine. I'd still think the point would be made if the Rams were 8-3 or so, but the way everything has played out has been crazy.

BTW, Giants' fans lament on how they had Belichick in the building and just let him go. By many accounts their owner never wanted him as an HC, probably thinking his personality wasn't a good fit. I can see how people would think that McVay has a better personality than Shanahan, but they're starting to learn that he doesn't have enough personality chops when he runs into Xs and Os issues, while Shanahan never runs out of them.

And Shanahan has proven to be a team builder 1000x than McVay. Some people thought Shanahan was just a glorified OC while McVay was the man with a plan..........SMFH.

Anyway, glad we have who we have. I believed in Kyle a long time ago, and seeing our own 49ers move the ball with no names was a great sign he would turn it around eventually.

ps - We still don't have the Rams WRs....
Bruce Allen let Shanny , McVay , Cousins all go

And he still has a job .
The first few pages of this thread bring the lulz.
There's still time for some of you guys to switch your answers to Shanahan. We understand your suckling of McVay when he was living off of a preexisting roster

The Rams gave up in that game against the Ravens because they didn't have to go through a 0-10 and 0-9 season, to be able to stomach adversity. They laid down after being down 3-21
Mcvay is a good guy. Dont know why the wheels are coming off this year.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
There's still time for some of you guys to switch your answers to Shanahan. We understand your suckling of McVay when he was living off of a preexisting roster

The Rams gave up in that game against the Ravens because they didn't have to go through a 0-10 and 0-9 season, to be able to stomach adversity. They laid down after being down 3-21

Don't count on it. That would require admitting error. Or acknowledging you root for failure.

Give me the one that's making the playoffs this season, thanks.
F bombs > burn out

• Goatie
  • Veteran
Shanny 2 - zip this season
McVay is one more loss away from being no better than Jeff Fisher. Imagine thinking he's better than Shanahan
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
McVay is one more loss away from being no better than Jeff Fisher. Imagine thinking he's better than Shanahan

Lol
Share 49ersWebzone