There are 199 users in the forums

Brandon Browner sentenced for DV/attempted murder

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by dj43:
Some would. Others would not.

It is really a question of public image. DV cases in the local area get little or no coverage. Nationally recognized sports figures get tons of coverage.

When you are earning millions of dollars a year and are seen by millions of young people as someone to be looked up to, the image needs to be clean. So, while that isn't fair on multiple levels, it is the way it is.

Makes sense and I agree. I just cant get behind the fake outrage that people have when they make comments like "the NFL has a huge DV problem." Um, no it doesnt. The country has a huge DV problem. The NFL has A problem, but its a smaller problem than the rest of the population.

Of course it's smaller (hundreds of millions smaller). All the leagues (Soccer, NBA, Hockey, etc....) together wouldn't add up to the public...thousands of people vs hundreds of millions. However, for any league, which is a much smaller room, it happens too much.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Of course it's smaller (hundreds of millions smaller). All the leagues (Soccer, NBA, Hockey, etc....) together wouldn't add up to the public...thousands of people vs hundreds of millions. However, for any league, which is a much smaller room, it happens too much.

Dude. Obviously raw numbers are much smaller. Didnt think that I needed to say that we are talking percentages, not total number. Cmon bro. Smh.

Anyway, Geeked explained to me why the comparison isnt exactly apples to apples, so I back off of my stance. But I am certainly not backing off of it because you pointed out that the handful of total DV incidents in the NFL each year is hundreds of thousands less than the rest of the world. I mean...man what a silly point haha.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Dec 5, 2018 at 8:55 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Dude. Obviously raw numbers are much smaller. Didnt think that I needed to say that we are talking percentages, not total number. Cmon bro. Smh.

Anyway, Geeked explained to me why the comparison isnt exactly apples to apples, so I back off of my stance. But I am certainly not backing off of it because you pointed out that the handful of total DV incidents in the NFL each year is hundreds of thousands less than the rest of the world. I mean...man what a silly point haha.

I'm just smh at the rate it happens year in / year out in sports, especially NFL. It is way too much for any league (it is silly).
Share 49ersWebzone