There are 123 users in the forums

Brandon Browner sentenced for DV/attempted murder

Originally posted by dj43:
Some would. Others would not.

It is really a question of public image. DV cases in the local area get little or no coverage. Nationally recognized sports figures get tons of coverage.

When you are earning millions of dollars a year and are seen by millions of young people as someone to be looked up to, the image needs to be clean. So, while that isn't fair on multiple levels, it is the way it is.

Makes sense and I agree. I just cant get behind the fake outrage that people have when they make comments like "the NFL has a huge DV problem." Um, no it doesnt. The country has a huge DV problem. The NFL has A problem, but its a smaller problem than the rest of the population.
It was only a few years ago that the NBA had the bad boy reputation and now they look like saints compared to the NFL and even MLB. It is possible to turn your image around. I notice NBA guys stopping to sign things for fans after the games which promotes a good image. The NFL can't do that since they don't allow fans on the field. They need to do something because between violence and safety issues on the field and violence off the field they are starting to really get a bad image. It will eventually cause them to start losing fans if they don't fix these issues.
Originally posted by Geeked:
My rebuttal is rooted in sound statistics. You can't compare an Employed population's experience to the general population..... BECAUSE EMPLOYMENT is a HUGE influencing factor on social behavior.

Next time you want cite a statistical argument without an actual citation or study to back it up, you may want to spend some time studying the parameters of the analysis.

Never looked at it that way. You are right. Comparing unemployed people to the rest of the population regardless of employment might skew the statistics. I have not looked into that and it for sure is a solid counterpoint.

But are you telling me that you believe if you took out all the unemployed people who were involved in DV and removed them completely removed them from the comparison, that the NFL percentage would be the same or higher than the population?

I agree with you now that the initial comparison I brought up wasnt exactly apples to apples, but I would need to see some sort of evidence to show me that the unemployed population makes up a large enough percentage of these figures to make your rebuttal matter.
  • dj43
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It was only a few years ago that the NBA had the bad boy reputation and now they look like saints compared to the NFL and even MLB. It is possible to turn your image around. I notice NBA guys stopping to sign things for fans after the games which promotes a good image. The NFL can't do that since they don't allow fans on the field. They need to do something because between violence and safety issues on the field and violence off the field they are starting to really get a bad image. It will eventually cause them to start losing fans if they don't fix these issues.

A comparison of the NBA and NFL is somewhat skewed by the fact the NFL is a violent game by design. As a result, it draws athletes who are comfortable in that environment. For a portion of those, the violence of the game appears to fit the violence in their background and upbringing. Those are the players that we see committing these crimes...and giving the NFL an image problem that hurts the salability of their product.
A comparison of the NBA and NFL is somewhat skewed by the fact the NFL is a violent game by design. As a result, it draws athletes who are comfortable in that environment. For a portion of those, the violence of the game appears to fit the violence in their background and upbringing. Those are the players that we see committing these crimes...and giving the NFL an image problem that hurts the salability of their product.

True the NFL is a more violent game but I'm sure many of the players came from broken families and lived in impoverished crime ridden areas. That can have a major effect on your outlook on life. But I agree that NFL players are more violent because of the nature of the game and maybe because of the PED's.
  • dj43
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

True the NFL is a more violent game but I'm sure many of the players came from broken families and lived in impoverished crime ridden areas. That can have a major effect on your outlook on life. But I agree that NFL players are more violent because of the nature of the game and maybe because of the PED's.

The crossover of the game and background is a pretty potent brew.
The NBA all star weekend is still the biggest reunion for all the drug dealers in the country.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Some would. Others would not.

It is really a question of public image. DV cases in the local area get little or no coverage. Nationally recognized sports figures get tons of coverage.

When you are earning millions of dollars a year and are seen by millions of young people as someone to be looked up to, the image needs to be clean. So, while that isn't fair on multiple levels, it is the way it is.

Makes sense and I agree. I just cant get behind the fake outrage that people have when they make comments like "the NFL has a huge DV problem." Um, no it doesnt. The country has a huge DV problem. The NFL has A problem, but its a smaller problem than the rest of the population.
The following comment is actually somewhat separate from this topic. That said there is plenty of fake outrage to go around and most of it as it pertains to ultimately trivial subjects that are just there to distract us. Not to say that DV is trivial, because there are often horrendous acts entailed and as such it merits the negative attention it receives. There are, however, existential issues developing that will render everything else (which may be the subject to fake outrage) moot. Such issues are coming to the fore much sooner than is commonly believed or accepted (we have shiny lights such as the NFL to distract us for the moment). The NFL's problem with DV will ultimately be overshadowed by the fact that it won't exist at some point in the nearer than we think future as there won't be the money or fans to support the league like there has been throughout our lifetimes to this point. If anyone does not understand what I am referring to they are clearly not paying enough attention to the physical realities of our world. That being the case if you don't know then I don't need to explain it to you how deeply your heads are buried in the sand. Despite that some of these guys like Brandon Browner are scumbags most players are actually good guys and we should enjoy the NFL while we have it because we won't have the luxury of enjoying it for too many more years.
what did he do that was considered attempted murder?

Originally posted by RonMexico:
what did he do that was considered attempted murder?

oh..

chased her down, dragged her and then tried to smother her in a carpet

• Jiks
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
If I stated a fact that NFL players get in trouble for domestic violence at a lower rate than the general American public, would anyone care?

How about NFL players against other job occupations? To compare one job to the entire general public is being disingenuous imo.
Originally posted by Geeked:
You obviously don't know who I am or have seen me write over time.... I'll bury you in a hell of typos, spelling errors and grammatical mistakes... It's my thing.

Grammar is neglected in grade school. Sentence structure, typos and spelling errors should be a standard course taught as soon as kids learn to speak.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
will be a Bengal.

Will be a Redskin!
  • dj43
Originally posted by kazak13:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
will be a Bengal.

Will be a Redskin!

Maybe, but for the next 8 years he will be playing for the Longest Yard team.
Share 49erswebzone