LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Chicago Bears vs. San Francisco 49ers Rebuilding Plan

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, Kyle lit up talking about Trubisky. I had mocked him to us because I figured with a 6 year contract, he'd have no issues developing a young guy. When the Bears grabbed him, I thought it would end up a win-win for both teams. Well...um....

I wanted us to go rookie because a) you expect Shanny could develop one b) you get that cheap rookie deal so you can add a Robinson, Mack.

Jimmy works fine though.

Agreed. Different ways to achieve similar goals. At the end the day, you have to find your FQB by any means necessary and then give him protection and skill positions and build up that defense to elite range.

Right now both teams feel they have their FQB, both have top 10 rushing attacks...we've got the better TE, they have far better receivers.

They have an elite defense on talent and scheme and coaching. We've got a long ways to go there.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Sourball:
Thanks for all the work you put into that.
My initial thought was "thanks for killing my high during the bye week " but then the more I think of it, the Mack deal solves a big piece of their puzzle but could impact them in the future with the draft pick sacrifice while our Jimmy G trade solves one of our problems for much less draft compensation.
However I wouldn't have minded if we would have signed Robinson and traded for Mack instead of the McKinnon signing. I think Breida and Mostert if healthy would have been an adequate replacement, albeit without seeing McKinnon in action here makes it an unqualified (hindsight) observation

And Mack can impact their future with 10 plus sacks a year for the next 5 years. Realistically what are the chances you get a player of his caliber with those picks? The draft is a gamble. It could play out either way. Plus it's not as if they can't make other moves to recoup those picks. Of course we gave up less comp for Jimmy b/c he wasn't a proven commodity like Mack.
good point
I guess I'm in the minority here.
I'd have to give the Bears the margin by quite a ways with their defense. Our defense is extremely suspect despite it's ranking, giving us a decent offense and special teams while the Bears appear to have all 3 phases set pretty well with youth and veterans.
I'm usually a rose colored glasses homer but until our defense proves that they can stop somebody besides the Raiders when it counts, then I don't think one pass rusher would solve the lack of discipline in the coverages and the fall off of Witherspoon, Colbert and Foster (even Jimmy G and oft-injured Goodwin to a degree). Next year could prove that last years play was the aberration and not a sophomore slump this year. I thought players usually improved the 2nd year in the same scheme?
Defensively our injured starters weren't playing much better than the 3rd stringers, while "experts* " are constantly questioning defensive schemes and positions players are asked to play. (*commentators and film junkies)
Besides Staley, McClinchey, Buckner, Warner, Kittle and Breida, most of our talent have been FA's, so I don't have a lot of confidence going into the draft
Admittedly I don't watch the Bears, (hated them since the Ditka days) but judging by roster "names" and current record they are pulling ahead in my (probably wrong) opinion.
I'm interested why most see us on even footing? This was supposed to be the easy part of the schedule and they seem to be floundering with the same repetitive mistakes and no signs that it's being rectified. Although the backups seem to be tackling better that our starters were.
[ Edited by Sourball on Nov 19, 2018 at 10:07 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by evil:
Given that the Bears started rebuilding the same time we did (2017)

Not true.

Bears started rebuilding in 2015 when they hired Ryan Pace to right the ship. He is now on his second HC and has had the same DC and defensive system in place since then.

Might be a closer comp to compare SF to BUF, who also hired a new GM in 2017 along with a new HC. Both teams had their HC hand pick their GM. New GM and new HC is truly a rebuild.
[ Edited by thl408 on Nov 19, 2018 at 10:21 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Good thread nc. People here are laughing at the bears last when they traded up for trubisky and he's developing really nicely for them. Their roster looks so much more promising than ours and their coaching is way superior to ours.

However they are doing it all wrong you're not supposed to win games in just year 2 of a rebuild.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
am shocked someone is not telling nc to go root for another team by now
Originally posted by thl408:
Might be a closer comp to compare SF to BUF, who also hired a new GM in 2017 along with a new HC. Both teams had their HC hand pick their GM. New GM and new HC is truly a rebuild.

That's a good one too. Someone also brought up the strategy the Vikings used to rebuild as ideal as well esp. since it mirrors the "long game" approach to rebuilding that ShanaLynch subscribe to.

If anyone would like to add those here, please feel free.
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:

That's a good one too. Someone also brought up the strategy the Vikings used to rebuild as ideal as well esp. since it mirrors the "long game" approach to rebuilding that ShanaLynch subscribe to.

If anyone would like to add those here, please feel free.

The 49ers situation is really unique. They gutted the roster to rebuild, then suddenly acquired who they think is their FQB. But instead of getting him on a rookie deal, he's being paid top dollar.
Originally posted by cciowa:

he's been trying to save face now on this forum for the past several years since everybody mocked his love for Baalke for so long. then he pretended like that never happened. never forget #top5gm.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

he's been trying to save face now on this forum for the past several years since everybody mocked his love for Baalke for so long. then he pretended like that never happened. never forget #top5gm.

Lol

Gruden could have had our #1 draft pick. Now THAT is a lose-lose.

There is no way in hell that if we had Khalil Mack on our team that we would be in position to pick 1st overall. Zero chance..
  • Koldo
  • Veteran

Homers have stayed away from this thread.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Gruden could have had our #1 draft pick. Now THAT is a lose-lose.

There is no way in hell that if we had Khalil Mack on our team that we would be in position to pick 1st overall. Zero chance..

Good point...didn't think of that.
Originally posted by susweel:
Good thread nc. People here are laughing at the bears last when they traded up for trubisky and he's developing really nicely for them. Their roster looks so much more promising than ours and their coaching is way superior to ours.

However they are doing it all wrong you're not supposed to win games in just year 2 of a rebuild.

Thanks sus...right? Well, hopefully this regime can win in year 3 at least.
Originally posted by Koldo:

Homers have stayed away from this thread.

That would be too bad if true. We even have a couple 24/7's in here lamenting over stuff 20 years ago and diverting from the topic completely, so I'd hope everyone has a take on the topic; come one, come all.
Share 49ersWebzone