There are 242 users in the forums

NFL on Tackling / Clay Matthews

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
If Jack Lambert thought back in the day you should put dresses on the QB I wonder what he would think of about playing now.
In today's NFL Lambert would not even last a quarter before he was kicked out of the game.
If the NFL continues this route with that much protection of a quarterback its gonna backfire on them with fans getting tired of their team being penalized for a good defensive play. Only one team can win a Superbowl and if the losing team loses because of the calls its gonna be ugly.
My sarcasm meter is malfunctioning cause it's not going off right now...

Sarcasm. I do not want that, but i feel it will be better than the route the nfl is going.

Essentially putting the practice rules in play. I am waiting for an OC to develop a penalty farming offense.

Ol try to get hands to the face by staying stupid low.

Quick triple moves to force DBs into penalties.

And high throws to get defenseless recievet calls.

And i do actually believe offensive(live action) penalties should be a loss of down.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
My sarcasm meter is malfunctioning cause it's not going off right now...

Sarcasm. I do not want that, but i feel it will be better than the route the nfl is going.

Essentially putting the practice rules in play. I am waiting for an OC to develop a penalty farming offense.

Ol try to get hands to the face by staying stupid low.

Quick triple moves to force DBs into penalties.

And high throws to get defenseless recievet calls.

And i do actually believe offensive(live action) penalties should be a loss of down.

Don't forget lowering your head before you get tackled/sacked try and pick up a face mask or illegal hit to the head
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Sep 26, 2018 at 1:47 PM ]
So i can not believe i have never seen this video before.

Originally posted by Wubbie:
Ok guys, so I support the NFL trying to make the game safer, but I do not understand their new tackling rules, especially on QBs.
Specifically... the penalty they called on Clay Matthews for sacking Kirk Cousins.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand it like this.. (1) Defenders are not able to tackle them and do so in a manner that applies their full body weight... and (2) they can't lift a guy up and drive them into the ground--i.e., a bit of a slamming motion.

I believe the NFL has said it wasn't because of the full body weight, but that Clay Matthews lifted him up and drove him to the ground... and they've gone out and said this is a textbook example of what they're going to call as a flag.

I'm confused.
Thoughts?

I think of this as the Marshall Rule. When he hit Montana in the back and drove him into the ground it broke a bone in JMs back and a finger. The rule should have come in then and it's a good rule. You don't land on a player in such a way that you try to kill him.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Actually the Marshall hit was clean, this new rule came from the GOOSE RULE... when he put all his fat weigh on Gannon !!!
Share 49ersWebzone