LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

NFL on Tackling / Clay Matthews

Shop 49ers game tickets
Joe Montana would still be playing under these WEAK rules, football was always a mans sport, injuries are part of the game!! If Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt there is no TOM BRADY etc, football was always the next man up, and a TEAM sport!! If you cant coach up or put your backup QB in a position to win (ie. Brett Hundley) then you deserve to have a season like last years Packers! Im only 26 NFL wont exist much longer with rules like these
Perhaps it's time to call "in the grasp" more often, to protect QBs.

If QBs can't be hit anymore, the NFL should create a thud rule for sacks, get there, get your arms around the QB, plays over
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Lost count how many roughing the passer penalties have been called on this Monday night game.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

If QBs can't be hit anymore, the NFL should create a thud rule for sacks, get there, get your arms around the QB, plays over

This. New rule QBs can not escape. They can not run along the sideline, and they can not try for extra yards.

Also because holding can happen, if you beat the OL and have a free run at the QB play is dead sack occured. That way free blitzers have no need to hit the QB, and DLmen do not have to fight through the end of the block.

However i do believe offensive penslties like holding and PI should be loss of down.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

This. New rule QBs can not escape. They can not run along the sideline, and they can not try for extra yards.

Also because holding can happen, if you beat the OL and have a free run at the QB play is dead sack occured. That way free blitzers have no need to hit the QB, and DLmen do not have to fight through the end of the block.

However i do believe offensive penslties like holding and PI should be loss of down.

My sarcasm meter is malfunctioning cause it's not going off right now...
This game is getting ridiculous. It just keeps getting worse and worse every year. I hate all the new rules. Football is a rough sport. Have the guys sign a waiver in exchange for millions of dollars they get paid. Then play the game as it was meant to be played. The former players suing really ruined this league. Plus the Commissioner.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
"The game featured four roughing the passer penalties (two by each team), tied for the most in a single game since 2001, according to ESPN's Stats and Information."
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
LOL for thinking this particular rule change is for player safety. It's a viewership play.

We are in an era of QB-centric football. Fans watch it for Brady, Newton, Rodgers, Brees, etc. Games turn into s**t when Rodgers go down for Hundley. Look at the Texans when Watson went down. And now with Mahomes lighting it up with Darnold, Allen, Rosen, and Mayfield as part of the next-gen, they want to preserve the QB talent to attract the most viewers.

The PR angle is player safety, which is no wonder why it's such a s**t show to enforce.
Exactly right. No one wants to watch a 9-6 game these days with sub standard QB play. They want to watch top level QBs sling the ball all over the place. As for top level QBs who is the only one to have 3 straight 400 yard games?
[ Edited by BobS on Sep 25, 2018 at 5:40 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This game is getting ridiculous. It just keeps getting worse and worse every year. I hate all the new rules. Football is a rough sport. Have the guys sign a waiver in exchange for millions of dollars they get paid. Then play the game as it was meant to be played. The former players suing really ruined this league. Plus the Commissioner.
Also with each new rule and the new interpretation of the old ones there are too many gray areas and speculative calls. Penalties are not cut and dry anymore. Pretty sure you could not get officials to agree 100% on a penalty call if they saw a slow motion replay, let alone make the call at game speed live.
Committee feeling heat about this b******t roughing the passer crap. Hopefully it's gone soon

Seeing Big Ben flop to the ground like a soccer player because a hand hit his helmet was a wow moment for me.
Never thought I'd see a day where sacks are a positive play for the offense
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think they want defenders to gently pick the QB up and lay him on the ground with a pillow under his head, like putting a kid to bed that fell asleep watching TV on the couch.
Originally posted by BobS:
I think they want defenders to gently pick the QB up and lay him on the ground with a pillow under his head, like putting a kid to bed that fell asleep watching TV on the couch.

Nope you can't pick up the QB that's a flag... even if the QB jumps before getting hit and it looks like you picked him up it's a flag (Cousins).
If Jack Lambert thought back in the day you should put dresses on the QB I wonder what he would think of about playing now.
Share 49ersWebzone