There are 158 users in the forums

Washington State QB who committed suicide had CTE, brain state comparable to 65 year old.

Originally posted by Morgan49:
Sometimes my brain feels like it's 65 years old

I wish my brain felt like a 65 year old. That would be an improvement!
This also doesn't say how much he got beat up in highschool football. The kid could have had 2 concussions a year if not more but kept playing through it. Not to mention playing at younger levels. Now get out of football all together and who knows what he did. Skiing, boxing, wrestling, or just getting into fights and taking shots. So much could have started it and just getting hit as a quarterback made it worse. We will never know.
[ Edited by stonecold590 on Jul 1, 2018 at 7:49 AM ]
How do we know that some people just aren't born with CTE lookin brains? Not like people get brain scans in the reg.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
How do we know that some people just aren't born with CTE lookin brains? Not like people get brain scans in the reg.

We don't, what about other factors such as drug use, mental illness, and fighting or being knocked out?

Also, why do some people get CTE while others who experienced the same amount of hits/contact do not get CTE?
Originally posted by glorydayz:

We don't, what about other factors such as drug use, mental illness, and fighting or being knocked out?

Also, why do some people get CTE while others who experienced the same amount of hits/contact do not get CTE?

because not everybody is the same?

same reason why some can drink and smoke their whole life and not get cancer, while those that never drank or smoke and stayed fit get cancer at 50 years old.

96% of all NFL brains donated have had CTE
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

I wonder if that % goes down later. Back in the days players had less safety protection and less mental protection from the league (concussion protocol)
A 21 year old who barely played had the brain of a 65 year old due to football?

Yeah that doesn't seem fishy at all

Of the ones who have been suspected of cte
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Geeked:
Something else must have been going on. My thoughts is that maybe he had some early onset dementia. Hits to the head wouldn't have helped. It's just a little difficult to believe that football concussions alone would have caused that malady.

I'd just like to know how many 20 year old brains the doc dissected. Most dead people are in their post 50's, not in their 20's. If all you see is 65 year old brains... I'd imagine everything would look like a 65 year old brain. Something doesn't smell right in this story. And I believe CTE is a real problem.

I agree. Untill they develop some medical techniques - like they did for knees and achillie's heel injuries, the best thing to do is to increase the insurance on those kinds of brain injuries. Football is a dangerous sport, and it pays well, and if things like this happens, then the money compensations is what will help. I don't think you can use the rules to reduce the injuries any more than what they are, unless you bad collision contact entirely and turn it into BasketFootball.

I agree that football is a cause. But playing devils advocate, I'm sure those brains were donated with the expectation that something was wrong. I want to see all brains, ones where the guy just died naturally
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I wonder if that % goes down later. Back in the days players had less safety protection and less mental protection from the league (concussion protocol)

Hopefully

Problem is players are faster and stronger than before.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
Does it say how many concussions he had before he got to college? I know a guys son who's already had 6 concussions and he's in 10th grade. 5 from hockey and 1 from football.

Hopefully

but usually the players (if detectable) don't go back into the game like before.

Hopefully

but usually the players (if detectable) don't go back into the game like before.

True. Until recently most concussions were diagnosed by the coach as "getting your bell rung" . And walking it off was the coaches prescription
Share 49erswebzone