There are 124 users in the forums

Washington State QB who committed suicide had CTE, brain state comparable to 65 year old.

Played 12 college football games and the autopsy that was done revealed that the state of his brain was equivalent to that of a typical 65 year old.

Washington State quarterback Tyler Hilinskitook his own life in January. He was 21. Now, six months later, his parents are sharing what they have learned about their son's death.

Speaking on NBC's "Today,", Hilinski's parents, Mark and Kym, revealed their son had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) at the time of his death. CTE has been linked to playing football and a recent study found that 99 percent of 202 deceased football players had the condition at the time of death.

Following Tyler's suicide, the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota contacted the Hilinskis, who agreed to give the hospital their son's brain for autopsy and study. The results stunned the family.

"The medical examiner said he had the brain of a 65-year-old, which is really hard to take," Mark said on the show.

Tyler's parents also participated in a lengthy feature documentary with Greg Bishop of Sports Illustrated; the story is tough emotionally but absolutely worth your time.

"Did football kill Tyler?'' Kym asked in the piece. "I don't think so. Did he get CTE from football? Probably. Was that the only thing that attributed to his death? I don't know."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/washington-state-qb-tyler-hilinski-found-to-have-cte-brain-of-a-65-year-old-after-suicide/
Don't believe everything you read.
Sometimes my brain feels like it's 65 years old
12 games and he wasn't the starter.

wonder what he did when he wasn't playing
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

His brother is a QB too, heading to South Carolina. The parents must be freaking out. Crazy that a guy can have such advanced deterioration at such a young age.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

His brother is a QB too, heading to South Carolina. The parents must be freaking out. Crazy that a guy can have such advanced deterioration at such a young age.
was he a tacking dummy.. i just don't believe it was all from football. that is just unreal of how badly his brain was abused.
was he a tacking dummy.. i just don't believe it was all from football. that is just unreal of how badly his brain was abused.

I forgot which game but there was one this past season where he got the absolute hell beat out of him, Leach caught some flack for leaving him in too.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I forgot which game but there was one this past season where he got the absolute hell beat out of him, Leach caught some flack for leaving him in too.

Arizona game I think. That's what the family said in the SI article.
And how many players that play 50+ games will show minimal or no signs of CTE?
Cocaine's a hell of a drug

Something else must have been going on. My thoughts is that maybe he had some early onset dementia. Hits to the head wouldn't have helped. It's just a little difficult to believe that football concussions alone would have caused that malady.

I'd just like to know how many 20 year old brains the doc dissected. Most dead people are in their post 50's, not in their 20's. If all you see is 65 year old brains... I'd imagine everything would look like a 65 year old brain. Something doesn't smell right in this story. And I believe CTE is a real problem.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Eli_23:
Cocaine's a hell of a drug

cocaine causes CTE?
Originally posted by pickle:

so all brains are built the same? some people are more susceptible to heart disease, lung disease, and so on. same thing with the brain...
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Jun 29, 2018 at 4:07 PM ]
Originally posted by pickle:
they would have to be dead to know
Share 49erswebzone