The most Underrated player in Recent NFL history? 1990 - Present

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
David Boston
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Jim Kelly, he's not mentioned enough in the elite QBs rankings, and he should be.

Career playoff stats: 21tds 28ints

In the 4 sb games 2tds(both in same game) 7ints

for some reason, we look at the team who loses a SB as failures, not sure why. the whole mentality of being 2nd best means your a loser is pretty dumb. Bills were the 2nd best team in the NFL for half a decade, and Kelly was a huge reason for it. he was putting up great numbers in an era where you didn't pass that much, and he did it in that stadium.

No they weren't. They were the best team in the AFC. Generally there were at least 2-3 NFC teams better than Buffalo.

Kelly was quite a good quarterback who had fairly good support. But he wasn't good enough to lift his team on the big occasion. And he had enough chances.
I agree that Jim Kelly does not get mentioned enough. It may be because he played in an era with Montana, Elway and Marino but he did take the Bills to 4 straight Super Bowls. I watched him play in a shootout against Steve Young at the Stick in 1992 with almost 1000 yards of offense and I believe only one punt all day. Bills won 34-31 in one of the best games I saw during my 33 years of attending games at the Stick. I also think Frank Gore does not get the love he deserves. Coming into the league with 2 surgically repaired knees he rarely missed a game while racking up enough yards to be 5th all time playing for bad teams most of his career. Great blocker and good team player. If he had played for a good team or even the Cowboys with all their exposure he would be a household name.
Originally posted by jcs:
Jim Kelly, he's not mentioned enough in the elite QBs rankings, and he should be.

Career playoff stats: 21tds 28ints

In the 4 sb games 2tds(both in same game) 7ints

for some reason, we look at the team who loses a SB as failures, not sure why. the whole mentality of being 2nd best means your a loser is pretty dumb. Bills were the 2nd best team in the NFL for half a decade, and Kelly was a huge reason for it. he was putting up great numbers in an era where you didn't pass that much, and he did it in that stadium.

Hes in the hof and universally called a great qb. He isnt talked about on the short list of elites because of his stats in crunch time. 7 more ints than tds in the playoffs is significant. 3 sb games with zero tds is significant too.

those Bills teams never had a great defense or running game. he played in a era without salary cap, and guys like Deion weren't gonna move to Buffalo lol.

he's still a great, when you factor in everything.

Hes was great but u gonna act like thurman thomas didnt average 1200+ rush yards per season in between 1989-1996? U cant create ur own facts lol

my bad lol, not sure why i didn't mention no running game (mixed up my teams), he's also underrated as well. but those Bills defenses were bad.
T.Thomas had a couple 1,400 yard rushing seasons and two 2000 overall yard seasons inside of those SB years.

Also...
1990 Bills Defense #6 Overall with 4 Probowlers + Allpro Bruce Smith
1991 Bills Defense #19 Overall with 2 Probowlers
1992 Bills Defense #14 Overall with 4 Probowlers + Allpro Henry Jones
1993 Bills Defense #5 Overall with 3 Probowlers + Allpro Bruce Smith

19th and 14th overall is not good. and they were good other years because of how great that offense was. that defense didn't need to be on the field for a long time. Bruce Smith was a beast, but they didn't have a lot of other great players.
London Fletcher is my pick off the top of my head. Always knocked for his size
Corey Dillon
Steve McNair
Jimmy Smith WR
Steven Jackson
Share 49ersWebzone