LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 190 users in the forums

Stupid Idea to limit kick offs, and increase scoring

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
This is a terrible idea. Just leave the damn kickoff.

This

My premise not that I want to do away with kick offs, Goodell and the NFL want to do away with kick offs!

Looking for alternatives to banning kickofffs and just putting the ball on the 25 after a score....because that's what's coming.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

This

My premise not that I want to do away with kick offs, Goodell and the NFL want to do away with kick offs!

Looking for alternatives to banning kickofffs and just putting the ball on the 25 after a score....because that's what's coming.

I wouldn't count on that happening. It completely changes the game. Also, the players would have a huge issue with it, many players only make teams because of their ability to play special teams.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

I get it. I hate it, but I understand. I still love seeing the opening kickoff live, but I barely pay attention when it's on TV anymore.

I remember when our ST unit had personality and stuff wasn't so serious. I miss guys like Boobie Dixon, but the League (capital "L") isn't big on personalities and likes to put out a tightly controlled product. I do understand the player safety aspect, though.

NSFW Language

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
When I went to NFL games nearly every weekend, missing the kickoff was not an option. The stands were full and the excitement would build as the ball was in the air and the players were running downfield with ferocious hits all across the field. Those days are gone. The violence, which we loved, is in the past. It's becoming a softer game, a different game.

Exactly, yet the NFL seems determined to do away with the kick off
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I believe Bob Papa's idea was to have a punt instead of a kickoff. I like it. Just like a free kick after a safety. You still keep the kicking game element and limit violent blocking.

NFL players have said most injuries come from double teams against players. Eliminate the double teams while blocking on the free kick.

done.

This. I'm tired of the rules changing, like the extra point. Skews records etc.
How about we keep the kick-offs and get rid of Goodell? He's hurt the game more than anything.
Originally posted by vermonator:
How about we keep the kick-offs and get rid of Goodell? He's hurt the game more than anything.

BOOOOOM! this!
All the rule changes are in the name of safety but is the game really getting safer? We still see a ton of injuries but we also see a lot of game stoppage to look at replays to determine if the hit was legal or not. This dead time is hurting the flow of the game and I think turning off some fans because they usually go to commercial breaks. I read that the average game has between 11 and 15 actual minutes of action with the rest of the 3 plus hours being breaks, huddles , replays and commercials. Please no more dead time! The nature of the game is going to produce some head trauma and knee injuries no matter how many rule changes are made. Baseball is much less violent and we still see concussions and knee injuries. It is part of sports. We all hate to see guys hurt but if you ask older players if they would do it over again knowing what we do about head trauma they usually say they would. It has gotten to the point that players can barely tackle anymore without a flag being thrown. I know that's an exaggeration but you know what I mean. I think pro football is as safe as you can make it without turning it into flag football. Take away kickoffs and punts and it begins to look like a scrimmage instead of a real game. There's my rant. I'm done.
Kickoffs should only be forced at the start of the game and at half time. After a touchdown and FG the opposing team should have a choice, take it at the 20 or have the team kick it off. The ONLY issue with this I can see if that it may stop some teams from doing an onside late in the game to get the ball back.

Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Kickoffs should only be forced at the start of the game and at half time. After a touchdown and FG the opposing team should have a choice, take it at the 20 or have the team kick it off. The ONLY issue with this I can see if that it may stop some teams from doing an onside late in the game to get the ball back.

That's exactly what I DONT want to see!
NFL got sued for.half a billion last time because of CTE .

I'm afraid that era will never be seen again and it's only going to get "safer."
Everything they have done the last 15 years or so is to ruin the game. They want no more physical hitting in the game. They don't want you to play defense. They want the game to be 100 - 95. They are turning the NFL into a joke. It's almost hard to watch anymore. The game was great the way it was. You take a risk to play football. Sign a waiver for the salary of millions of dollars. You are taking a risk to play.
Outside of bad weather games, or new England's strategy of purposely kicking to the 5 yard line... there isn't a reason every kickoff shouldn't be booted out of the end zone

They moved the kickoffs to the 35, there's no reason these guys shouldn't be able to kick it through endzone

Akers in the super bowl
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/5/22/17369774/nfl-kickoff-rule-change-explained

Basically turned the kickoff into a more punt like play.

Still gonna be a penalty on every kickoff return. lol
Share 49ersWebzone