Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by evil:
what were JG's numbers again?

5 yrs 137.5 with 74 guaranteed.

damn matty won.

Actually the 9ers won. Had we tagged Jimmy and waited we would be paying him more than this and Rodgers deal would be done by then too. Potentially even a new deal for Russell Wilson too whose deal runs thru 2019.

yeah ik. just kiddin

I should have chosen to be a QB and not a mod.
Every year teams reach for QB's in the first round and overpay free agents in the hope that they hit pay dirt. Meanwhile many of them ignore the offensive line and then try to build it after they get the QB. Then the QB gets beat up for 2 years while they try to build a strong line to protect him. So many put the cart before the horse. You would think that guys who eat and sleep football would learn but many never do.

It's true we don't get paid quite as much as they do, but only rarely do we have 300 pound linemen jumping up and down on us.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

It's true we don't get paid quite as much as they do, but only rarely do we have 300 pound linemen jumping up and down on us.

I would not complain (much) about 300 pound men jumping on me for 27.5 million a year
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Every year teams reach for QB's in the first round and overpay free agents in the hope that they hit pay dirt. Meanwhile many of them ignore the offensive line and then try to build it after they get the QB. Then the QB gets beat up for 2 years while they try to build a strong line to protect him. So many put the cart before the horse. You would think that guys who eat and sleep football would learn but many never do.

There's a reason why teams do that. The QB position is a franchise game changer.

You have to pay Matt Ryan this money. No question. Because if you don't. Somebody else will.
[ Edited by SisterFister on May 4, 2018 at 9:44 AM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I believe the Jimmy deal will look like a bargain in 2 years when you see QB's in the mid 30's mark.

With Ryan set at 30, does Rodgers get 31?

If matt Ryan is worth 30 than Aaron Rodgers is wOrth 40

I would not complain (much) about 300 pound men jumping on me for 27.5 million a year

well, you wouldn't be conscious long enough to complain much .
Originally posted by SisterFister:
There's a reason why teams do that. The QB position is a franchise game changer.

You have to pay Matt Ryan this money. No question. Because if you don't. Somebody else will.

I understand that. You say the position is a franchise game changer but if you make the wrong pick it sets you back at least 2 or 3 years. What I am saying is teams reach for guys when they are not worth it. I would not be surprised if only one or 2 of the QB's taken this year ever become stars and it may not be because they lack ability. If they get beat up early in their career because their team put them out there before they had a decent line then who is at fault. I say the GM. I can see taking a true can't miss franchise QB like Manning, Elway, Marino or Luck. You can't pass on these generational type guys. But the ones taken this year come along every year. Better to pass and build the foundation first. That's how late round picks like Montana and Brady become stars instead of just another starter. The list of QB's that were destroyed because they were thrown to the wolves too soon is very long. The list of true franchise QB's is actually very short. The old saying ' you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' applies here. I need a QB so bad that I will draft a guy or sign a mediocre talent and hope it works instead of giving him the tools and help so it will work.
Originally posted by rathman4481:
While the free market part of me wants no restricting of contracts since teams should be able to pay their guy as much as they want but I'm wondering what would happen if the nfl went to a contract structure like the nba with max contracts.

It would be interesting. Either way we got a steal with jimmy g

Personally, I think max contracts hurt the parity of the league. While its great for Golden State or Cavaliers fans it's sucks for places like Portland that struggle attracting FA's outside of contract capital. Because FA's know they'll get the same money anywhere it comes down to other factors. I think the NFL's structure is much better than the NBA's. It allows places to overpay for players or offer crazy contracts to guys they think will take them somewhere and still makes teams budget out right.
Originally posted by 16to87:
Imagine how much more he'da got If Shanny had'nt screwd up in the SB

Imagine if Shanny was actually the one who screwed up in the Superbowl.

Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Falcons are officially done like the Ravens and Giants.

Freeman completely whiffs on a block yet literally everyone blames Shanahan for this play lmao.

Should of been calling running plays. I know "some" say falcons were not moving the ball on ground but it would have burned time.

Hindsight is 20/20 but should have been burning clock..
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Falcons are officially done like the Ravens and Giants.

yep not scared of 'em at all. dont know why they upped Cousins by $2.5m per year. Could of have just done $28m per year avg

If they could've just paid 28 then I'm sure they would have. Ryan's team was likely not budging on 30 per.

Plus 28 per for 5 with the final 2 years being a team option isn't better than 28 per fully guaranteed and no team options.
I don't think they overpaid, Franchise QB's are very rare now days!

They could have balked at Ryan's contract demand and let him walk in free agency and ended up with Brian Hoyer
  • evil
  • Veteran

When I regain consciousness though, I'll be able to comfortably deal with my pain.

When I regain consciousness though, I'll be able to comfortably deal with my pain.

Maybe one day evil will get his very own Turning Point video against the Titans.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on May 5, 2018 at 3:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone