There are 189 users in the forums

DJ Reed CB, Kansas St, 4th Round 2018 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by gold49digger:
and? That was early in the season and again we can't have depth? This guys is gonna be a steal, if he beats out Williams that obviously means he is better. Why are people down playing every pick lol. You guys get way to attached to names in drafts.

The only one I am concerned about is Street.

I'm not disagreeing about his talent.....I'm disagreeing with the comment about Williams not being in future plans....the extension says otherwise
  • dj43
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Kwaun Williams was already here :)

And Reed is going to be the dude to take his job. Not sure why people are talking up Williams like he's a Pro Bowler or something. He was good enough for the time being, not a guy you plan on being in the slot for 4 or 5 years.

The same way that Taylor snatched away Kerley's job last year, Reed could do the same this offseason.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Kwaun Williams was already here :)

And Reed is going to be the dude to take his job. Not sure why people are talking up Williams like he's a Pro Bowler or something. He was good enough for the time being, not a guy you plan on being in the slot for 4 or 5 years.

The same way that Taylor snatched away Kerley's job last year, Reed could do the same this offseason.

Then why did they sign him to a nice extension?

Two reasons:

1. They did not know whether or not they could replace him in the draft at the time they signed him.

2. Money is no object.

Now we have a potential upgrade at SCB and a good ST guy. If nothing else, he is an upgrade in depth from some of the guys we ran out there last season.
Originally posted by dj43:
Two reasons:

1. They did not know whether or not they could replace him in the draft at the time they signed him.

2. Money is no object.

Now we have a potential upgrade at SCB and a good ST guy. If nothing else, he is an upgrade in depth from some of the guys we ran out there last season.

Sounds about right
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
and? That was early in the season and again we can't have depth? This guys is gonna be a steal, if he beats out Williams that obviously means he is better. Why are people down playing every pick lol. You guys get way to attached to names in drafts.

The only one I am concerned about is Street.

I'm not disagreeing about his talent.....I'm disagreeing with the comment about Williams not being in future plans....the extension says otherwise

It's all about adding talent. Iron sharpens iron. Last year our secondary was a huge unknown, now I think it is a strength of our team. Like last year with our secondary, we will gamble with unknowns with edge rusher. Everyone knew this wasn't a great edge rusher draft outside of Chubb (and apparently not landry like most of us thought). There are some pretty good linemen next year. The clemson d-line is something to watch out for next year.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Depth behind Williams. Good pick.

Willams was the #44 ranked CB last season. His starting role is certainly not guaranteed. The position is up for grabs, IMO.

#44 in the league for a slot corner is actually pretty good.
It's all about adding talent. Iron sharpens iron. Last year our secondary was a huge unknown, now I think it is a strength of our team. Like last year with our secondary, we will gamble with unknowns with edge rusher. Everyone knew this wasn't a great edge rusher draft outside of Chubb (and apparently not landry like most of us thought). There are some pretty good linemen next year. The clemson d-line is something to watch out for next year.

Yeah.... it looks like they decided not to reach for edge rushers and will really address this next season. Overall I'm very pleased with this draft. Not splashy, but looks solid on paper
Like the pick. Great value.
Pro-bowler.
  • bvc49
  • Veteran
I heard his interview on Knbr after the pick, if he is half as good as talks, he might be fun to watch. When asked about Mayfield, he was complimentary but made it clear, Mayfield never threw his way
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Warner and Reed were my favorite picks. I think both he and K'wuan will be on the field in dime situations

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I like this dude.

Love this pick! I expect a great battle for the starting slot cb spot and I think this guy takes it
My draft crush on Fitzpatrick caused me to evaluate our secondary and I realized, having tall and long corners usually means they can't play nickel as well. So until we find some that can do both effectively, we are always going to have to save a roster spot for players like Kwaun Williams. It also means, we won't be able to activate someone that is purely a special teams returner like Boldin because we need depth in the secondary. To have someone who can do both plus can do kick coverage is crucial for our game planning, which is why I love the pick!
Nice. A defender that can take it to the house too.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
My draft crush on Fitzpatrick caused me to evaluate our secondary and I realized, having tall and long corners usually means they can't play nickel as well. So until we find some that can do both effectively, we are always going to have to save a roster spot for players like Kwaun Williams. It also means, we won't be able to activate someone that is purely a special teams returner like Boldin because we need depth in the secondary. To have someone who can do both plus can do kick coverage is crucial for our game planning, which is why I love the pick!

Exactly!
Share 49ersWebzone