LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Maybe not but there is a lot more speed flying down that field than your average gunners in the Pac 12.

Originally posted by FranchisePoster:
Nfl guys are just a different animal man. Pettis doesn't even look like he lifts weights. If the guy added some muscle and size maybe he would see himself in a different light.

The blue hair s**t doesn't help either. I'm sure players call him a f****t. He probably goes home at night with his kitties and cry's himself to sleep.

True but these are 2nd and third string guys he's going against in punt returns. So they aren't starting caliber players most of the time. That isn't the reason imo. He needs to be our primary pr. I wanted Austin to be healthy. Almost every team has a more dynamic returner than we do. Stats may show we are middle of the pack in avg return yards but the fact is we haven't had a good returner since Ginn. It's not hard to find a good returner. Just let Pettis do it for the rest of the season of this week (trade possibly)

Why don't you call Shanahan and tell him to play Pettis?
we drafted a guy who was breaking records in college on kick an punt returns. yet in 3 years rarely ever use him as a return man. i dont like pettis's performance either but thats not his fault thats a coaching mistake. its s**t like that an keeping good RBs like wilson an hasty out, an mckinnon in that makes me really question shanahan sometimes. makes no sense.
Originally posted by stefano89:
we drafted a guy who was breaking records in college on kick an punt returns. yet in 3 years rarely ever use him as a return man. i dont like pettis's performance either but thats not his fault thats a coaching mistake. its s**t like that an keeping good RBs like wilson an hasty out, an mckinnon in that makes me really question shanahan sometimes. makes no sense.

Kyles biggest issue is pride. He knows what he wants and is going to stick with it come hell or high water.

It's just like when we lost the SB and he said he wouldn't have done anything different...

They put him out there on returns sometimes and all I ever see is this dude dancing and maybe lose a yard. I am not seeing this so called great vision. No idea how he broke Desean Jackson return records. Maybe just lucked out on some busted coverages
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

They put him out there on returns sometimes and all I ever see is this dude dancing and maybe lose a yard. I am not seeing this so called great vision. No idea how he broke Desean Jackson return records. Maybe just lucked out on some busted coverages

How many times would you have to get lucky?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Has Donte been traded yet?
Where did the narrative that Pettis is scared come from? Hes probably been playing football most of his life. Highly highly highly doubt he is scared. Maybe he lacks urgency or intensity but I would never call an nfl player scared. He didnt look scared as a rookie not one bit. At this point I just hope he gets a chance somewhere else because he hasnt gotten a fair one here IMO. How does a WR play almost a whole game and get 1 target (AZ game)? Then video comes out showing he was open at least a few times. No WR on the planet wants to block all game long and run decoy routes knowing its never gonna be thrown to them. Then people will say he got opportunities. When? Did I miss something? Are we talking about the 15-20 targets he got ALL of last season in which not all of them were even accurate to begin with but be caught a few. Im sure he made some mistakes along the way too but it shouldnt be this way. If everyone that made a mistake was treated like Pettis guess what we wouldnt have a team. They ALL mess up. Weekly. Shanny just doesnt like the dude is my take so let him go. Yesterday. Dafuq we holding on for if were never gonna use him
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Surprised he's not been traded before the deadline.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 31, 2020 at 7:57 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I beliwve we can't decide, too many great offers

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
What I didn't like was that he subtly or not so subtly indicated that people were racist or had certain prejudices because they make excuses for Jimmy but wanted to bury Kap and Dante because of skin color.

I mean, first of all, yes Kap and Dante had success in the NFL. But they had brief, initial success and then seemed to get progressively worse.

It's not like there weren't people making and aren't still making excuses for Kap, chief amongst them not the kneeling stuff that of course came later but that they changed the offense on him.

I mean, if your on field play declines you're going to get fewer opportunities. That's essentially, paraphrasing, what Kyle said regarding Dante last year and somehow I doubt his skin color had anything to do with it.

And yes, as far as Jimmy, number one does Oakland even see the Jimmy thread on here or the game thread comments? There are people who constantly complain about him and want to replace him. If it isn't for Mullens, it's for Matt Ryan. Or Sam Darnold for crying out loud. Or tank for Trevor Lawrence.

I mean the same logic could even be applied. Jimmy had great initial success here and was the talk of the league. Threw some picks still but 5-0 to close out the season. Energized the team. 49ers were a playoff team in 19 they said. Hyde said we would go to the Super Bowl. Then he struggles some after that initial success and it's excuse making that minimizes that or wants to keep running him out there while it's being prejudiced against Kap and Dante. Sorry, that's crap.

As far as "excuses" for Jimmy goes, in part it isn't because the criticisms and attacks are for the player as a whole and taken in the scope of what he does well and what might be a weak point. It's microanalyzing every bad throw and everything that he maybe doesn't do as well and saying we should probably replace him ASAP.

That subtle racist crap.... well I haven't walked in anyone's shoes and I'll try to leave it alone. But I think some people always need something convenient to blame or use an excuse so they don't actually have to be a bit more objective or willing to look at other truths themselves.

Well good morning to you too my friend.

I do think the issue with Kap was not direct racism, but a certain type of bias. Whether it had to do with race or the type of bias Kyle Shanahan has against QBs that can run, I don't know. I just never understood the nit picking and hate for a guy that took us to the NFC championship twice, with one near SB win. Too bad the Hawks had a HISTORICALLY good defense at the time and we had Michael Crabtree. But I digress.

Too me any starting quality QB could do what Jimmy is doing. On the other hand, very few QBs could have ran the team like Kap did for a couple of seasons. The comparison as to what they meant to their teams success is laughable to me.

Anyway, Pettis is a goof. He belongs in the NFL, but management doesn't like or respect him. Time to move on. I don't think the hate for Pettis is based on race, just blind allegiance to the organization. It's the same guys who defended the Tomsula hiring years ago.

If it wasn't meant to be race based than my apologies.

That said, the point still stands for me. I'm not going to speak for everyone but the ship sailed on Kap as a 49er. Part of it was the kneeling which I now do believe made a number of teams reluctant to sign him. But I don't think he's really wanted to play anyway. He's enjoying whatever he's doing now. But his play for whatever the reason(s) one wants to name, progressively worsened.

Pettis, no I still suspect it's more than management doesn't "like or respect him". We can't read his mind but when it comes across that he's just not very, well, tough minded in the opinion of, seemingly almost everyone, than that's probably something that Dante needs to find a way to improve within and for himself. Maybe they don't like him that much anymore. But it isn't a talent issue necessarily. It's a mindset/confidence/want to issue. Much like people think it probably is for Witherspoon, who basically lost his job to Moseley.

When a player, or a person, meets adversity they can beat it or they can let it beat them. Pettis has let it beat him. At least here in San Francisco.

Originally posted by hubbyt:
Where did the narrative that Pettis is scared come from? Hes probably been playing football most of his life. Highly highly highly doubt he is scared. Maybe he lacks urgency or intensity but I would never call an nfl player scared. He didnt look scared as a rookie not one bit. At this point I just hope he gets a chance somewhere else because he hasnt gotten a fair one here IMO. How does a WR play almost a whole game and get 1 target (AZ game)? Then video comes out showing he was open at least a few times. No WR on the planet wants to block all game long and run decoy routes knowing its never gonna be thrown to them. Then people will say he got opportunities. When? Did I miss something? Are we talking about the 15-20 targets he got ALL of last season in which not all of them were even accurate to begin with but be caught a few. Im sure he made some mistakes along the way too but it shouldnt be this way. If everyone that made a mistake was treated like Pettis guess what we wouldnt have a team. They ALL mess up. Weekly. Shanny just doesnt like the dude is my take so let him go. Yesterday. Dafuq we holding on for if were never gonna use him

.....if we had a raise fist emoji I would raise it.

That said, the point still stands for me. I'm not going to speak for everyone but the ship sailed on Kap as a 49er. Part of it was the kneeling which I now do believe made a number of teams reluctant to sign him. But I don't think he's really wanted to play anyway. He's enjoying whatever he's doing now. But his play for whatever the reason(s) one wants to name, progressively worsened.

Pettis, no I still suspect it's more than management doesn't "like or respect him". We can't read his mind but when it comes across that he's just not very, well, tough minded in the opinion of, seemingly almost everyone, than that's probably something that Dante needs to find a way to improve within and for himself. Maybe they don't like him that much anymore. But it isn't a talent issue necessarily. It's a mindset/confidence/want to issue. Much like people think it probably is for Witherspoon, who basically lost his job to Moseley.

When a player, or a person, meets adversity they can beat it or they can let it beat them. Pettis has let it beat him. At least here in San Francisco.

I'm not buying any of this narrative. You don't get drafted in the 2nd if you are weak mentally.

Deion Sanders is arguably the greatest CB of all time, yet the knock on him is he didn't like to hit. Just because Pettis doesn't want to be Deebo Samuels, quasi default running back, doesn't make him unfit for the NFL. He is a WR, not a lineman or RB bowling ball. He runs routes, and catches balls. He is in the wrong scheme, but the right scheme for 90 percent of other NFL teams.

Free Daunte....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I'm not buying any of this narrative. You don't get drafted in the 2nd if you are weak mentally.

Deion Sanders is arguably the greatest CB of all time, yet the knock on him is he didn't like to hit. Just because Pettis doesn't want to be Deebo Samuels, quasi default running back, doesn't make him unfit for the NFL. He is a WR, not a lineman or RB bowling ball. He runs routes, and catches balls. He is in the wrong scheme, but the right scheme for 90 percent of other NFL teams.

Free Daunte....

Um, what?

There's probably been guys drafted in the first round time and time again who were selected because of measurables and athleticism who nevertheless lacked a little something upstairs, a little something in the chest (heart), or both.

Guys bust for various reasons but when they're drafted that highly it's generally not overall talent. I don't think anyone expects him to be Deebo. I mean Kyle drafted him so I don't think he expects that out of Dante any more than he expects it out of Trent Taylor or Richie James. Kyle had an idea of how he fit in his scheme and aside from a stretch during his rookie year he just hasn't done it.
This may be the game to get him on the field to either take the top off of the defense and/or get him the ball if the sea chickens corners are that bad
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerTy:
This may be the game to get him on the field to either take the top off of the defense and/or get him the ball if the sea chickens corners are that bad

He'll probably not even be active.
Share 49ersWebzone