LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Okay. Dude. Stick with your narrative.

Pettis went from a possible # 1 Wr ( in Kyles words) to trash that is inactive during games....

I don't know what the issue is, but I don't think it's Pettis forgetting how to play football.

He took a few big hits, got injured and ever since then he's been softer than Ricky Martin at a Victoria's Secret calendar photoshoot.

Its not a lack of physical ability or talent, he's just scurred and is pretty well set for life financially, with or without football. You can evaluate someone's ability on film, their speed with a stopwatch but there is no good objective measure of calculating their heart and determination ahead of time. Some guys just want it more.

I'm just asking how you are measuring a dudes heart when Kyle said he looked like he came into camp ready to play and was very complimentary of Pettis? Why would a guy with no heart bother training, practicing, visiting with the coach and then not want to play because he's "scarred?" Nothing even to be scared of as a we in today's NFL. Also, I don't a leading college punt returner is afraid to get tackled.

Like I SAID, doesn't make sense.
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by thl408:
wut

Okay. Dude. Stick with your narrative.

Pettis went from a possible # 1 Wr ( in Kyles words) to trash that is inactive during games....

I don't know what the issue is, but I don't think it's Pettis forgetting how to play football.
I bolded some sentences in your post because I thought it was contradictory.

I was hyped that he came to camp ready to rock. I don't know why he isn't playing. I saw the same things you did in his rookie season, very nice potential. He had a meh game 1 and got his snap count reduced big time. Now it's a numbers game and he's the odd man out.

I hear you. What I posted was contradictory. However, I really just meant I think something isn't right with the situation and I don't think it's football.

In contrast, people fling all kinds of accusations in this thread about Pettis like it's fact. It's just old.

You're suggesting his lack of playing time is not football related. I haven't heard anything about him being a bad team mate, or problems off the field. We can make more speculative posts based on nothing, but imo it's football related.
I think you just call it what it is. Another high round......BUST.

See...
Alfred Jenkins
Rashaun Woods
Brandon Williams
Jason Hill
I'm just asking how you are measuring a dudes heart when Kyle said he looked like he came into camp ready to play and was very complimentary of Pettis? Why would a guy with no heart bother training, practicing, visiting with the coach and then not want to play because he's "scarred?" Nothing even to be scared of as a we in today's NFL. Also, I don't a leading college punt returner is afraid to get tackled.

As opposed to when he showed up last year out of shape and not ready to play? I think he lost a whole lot of trust from the coaching staff at that point and football is pretty unforgiving as a sport. The Miyagi rule applies. You're either in all the way or you're not in at all. If you're just in halfway, you're not going to make it. Pettis seems like a nice dude but absolutely nothing about him screams grinder, or a guy that is going to bust his ass because he wants to be the greatest receiver of all time. He seems like a guy who likes to football because that that is what he's done for most of his life but is not willing to do what is needed to be great at this level.
The last time we saw Pettis get extended playing time the dude was getting open (vs AZ). All this other stuff about heart and scared or that he was out of shape honestly just sounds like nonsense to me. A washed up dude (Sanu) came off the street and played more than Pettis. Cant convince me Sanu earned it in practice lol. If Pettis is soooo bad release him. Are they scared he will get picked up? Whats the hold up? Until then I feel like theres more to this whole situation. Shanny is supposed to be a genius but cant figure out a way to get more than 0 catches from a talented player. I aint buying it
Originally posted by hubbyt:
The last time we saw Pettis get extended playing time the dude was getting open (vs AZ). All this other stuff about heart and scared or that he was out of shape honestly just sounds like nonsense to me. A washed up dude (Sanu) came off the street and played more than Pettis. Cant convince me Sanu earned it in practice lol. If Pettis is soooo bad release him. Are they scared he will get picked up? Whats the hold up? Until then I feel like theres more to this whole situation. Shanny is supposed to be a genius but cant figure out a way to get more than 0 catches from a talented player. I aint buying it

You think he's talented? He's been in the doghouse for more than half of his tenure here for being a little b***h

As opposed to when he showed up last year out of shape and not ready to play? I think he lost a whole lot of trust from the coaching staff at that point and football is pretty unforgiving as a sport. The Miyagi rule applies. You're either in all the way or you're not in at all. If you're just in halfway, you're not going to make it. Pettis seems like a nice dude but absolutely nothing about him screams grinder, or a guy that is going to bust his ass because he wants to be the greatest receiver of all time. He seems like a guy who likes to football because that that is what he's done for most of his life but is not willing to do what is needed to be great at this level.

Where did you get that from? Pettis has talent but he isnt THAT talented. He had to work to get drafted. He isnt the biggest nor the fastest so I would put my money on it that he had to grind. And point to when you looked at Pettis yourself and felt he looked out of shape? I believe thats all a bunch of bs. I truly do. If he was out shape, has no heart and sucks they would cut him
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
You think he's talented? He's been in the doghouse for more than half of his tenure here for being a little b***h

He is talented. Not the most talented but yes he has talent
Originally posted by hubbyt:

Where did you get that from? Pettis has talent but he isnt THAT talented. He had to work to get drafted. He isnt the biggest nor the fastest so I would put my money on it that he had to grind. And point to when you looked at Pettis yourself and felt he looked out of shape? I believe thats all a bunch of bs. I truly do. If he was out shape, has no heart and sucks they would cut him

I can't imagine him being completely useless. Just not a good fit for what this team wants to do. Honestly, I can't form a complete opinion on him until I see him in a more WR heavy offense. If he actually gets PT and is running lazy routes or dropping wide open passes, I'll say he sucks. Thts why I wanna see him somewhere like GB where Rodgers will not know your name and still target you cause you're the open guy lol. Seriously though, i really wanna find out the problem one day
  • titan
  • Veteran
Any word if any team is interested on this dude?

Originally posted by titan:
Any word if any team is interested on this dude?

we shall see.
Every time I see Pettis featured on the front page article I get excited thinking he got traded.
Dante Pettis for John Ross. Shanny can scheme Ross wide open then watch out. Two busts under performers trade places
I still love Dante

Yeah he's clearly done here and that's a bummer on what could've been but he's done nothing to mess with team chemistry and not a lot of WRs would do that. I give him respect for that.

Pettis for Ross would be a great move for both teams IMO. May as well do it since neither is using their guy.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Clicked on this thread thought he got traded or released!!

Damn.
Share 49ersWebzone