LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pdfortune:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Pettis hasn't shown that he's a good punt returner the few times they used him. Returning punts in college is not the same as the NFL. Coverage teams are not near as good in college. I think Pettis is too much of a long strider to be a good punt returner. He's not really a quick change of direction guy.

Returning punts in college as the best athlete = TD
Returning punts in the NFL as an average athlete = nothin

The current punt returners do nothing. I'm just thinking if he must remain on the roster, or has trade potential people need to see something of value. I don't expect Devon Hester, but more than Taylor or James. He doesn't need to be in the game to watch kickoffs sail over his head, and get zero catches.

Taylor is almost as useless. I'm tired of hearing how he is the best receiver in training camp. He should be a third down short yardage master.

If it wasn't for this section I'd forget Pettis is on the team.

I don't think Kyle expects much production out of our return game and therefore goes with sure handed return men. Kyles confident his offense can score everytime with him calling the plays so he doesn't want any risk of a turnover on special teams. Makes sense imo
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
I still think that he'll have better stats if Shanny keeps sending him on those deep patterns... away from the defenders !!

He has to earn a place on the active roster first. lol. i admire your loyalty to him
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Would say trade Pettis for Ross, but Pettis did nothing last year and Ross had 500+ yards and 3 TDs, they'd probably ask us to throw in more.

on the inactive roster,., the man has no trade value in my opinion.. i do not get it... cut him.. admit the error kyle. cut him and then sign anyone. suggs. mathews. a o line guy..... anyone in a position of need.. and do not anyone tell me, there is no one out there better than pettis in any area we can sign
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Would say trade Pettis for Ross, but Pettis did nothing last year and Ross had 500 yards and 3 TDs, they'd probably ask us to throw in more.

on the inactive roster,., the man has no trade value in my opinion.. i do not get it... cut him.. admit the error kyle. cut him and then sign anyone. suggs. mathews. a o line guy..... anyone in a position of need.. and do not anyone tell me, there is no one out there better than pettis in any area we can sign
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Totally mind boggling. You cant tell me that after what we saw from Pettis as a rookie that he suddenly cant even catch an nfl pass. I would asked to be released if I were him. The funny part is Trent Taylor does very little. Bourne drops passes every single game and Deebo appears to be more of a gadget player than a true WR. I just dont know what to make of this ordeal. If he was truly THAT bad of a player surely he wouldve already been cut.

His two problems in a nutshell.

What a speculative post based on nothing. If they thought he lacked that much heart he would be cut. Also, he was solid his rookie season. Certainly more consistent than Bourne.

Also, heart doesn't really matter. What matter is production. Pettis has shown he can be productive.

He either has beef with Jimmy or the coach. That's the only thing that makes sense.

It might even be that Kyle can't use him because we aren't a drop back passing team. We run most of the time. And when we don't run, our passes are like running plays which require blocking. Pettis is probably 160lb in full gear soaking wet. Having him on the field tips our hand.

Still- the treatment of Pettis by the staff and a portion of the fan base is despicable, and I'm not even a real fan.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 21, 2020 at 11:14 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
What a speculative post based on nothing. If they thought he lacked that much heart he would be cut. Also, he was solid his rookie season. Certainly more consistent than Bourne.

Also, heart doesn't really matter. What matter is production. Pettis has shown he can be productive.

He either has beef with Jimmy or the coach. That's the only thing that makes sense.

It might even be that Kyle can't use him because we aren't a drop back passing team. We run most of the time. And when we don't run, our passes are like running plays which require blocking. Pettis is probably 160lb in full gear soaking wet. Having him on the field tips our hand.

Still- the treatment of Pettis by the staff and a portion of the fan base is despicable, and I'm not even a real fan.

wut
  • thl408
Which is more: the number of pages in this thread, or the number of receiving yards Pettis will have at the end of his NFL career (currently 576)?

Place your bets.
Originally posted by thl408:
Which is more: the number of pages in this thread, or the number of receiving yards Pettis will have at the end of his NFL career (currently 576)?

Place your bets.

Pages
  • thl408
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Pages
pages
I'm not even a real fan.

What sort of fan are you?
wut

Okay. Dude. Stick with your narrative.

Pettis went from a possible # 1 Wr ( in Kyles words) to trash that is inactive during games....

I don't know what the issue is, but I don't think it's Pettis forgetting how to play football.

Originally posted by English:
What sort of fan are you?

Real fan of Pettis
  • thl408
wut

Pettis went from a possible # 1 Wr ( in Kyles words) to trash that is inactive during games....

I don't know what the issue is, but I don't think it's Pettis forgetting how to play football.
I bolded some sentences in your post because I thought it was contradictory.

I was hyped that he came to camp ready to rock. I don't know why he isn't playing. I saw the same things you did in his rookie season, very nice potential. He had a meh game 1 and got his snap count reduced big time. Now it's a numbers game and he's the odd man out.

He took a few big hits, got injured and ever since then he's been softer than Ricky Martin at a Victoria's Secret calendar photoshoot.

Its not a lack of physical ability or talent, he's just scurred and is pretty well set for life financially, with or without football. You can evaluate someone's ability on film, their speed with a stopwatch but there is no good objective measure of calculating their heart and determination ahead of time. Some guys just want it more.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

wut

and the mods think i am nuts
wut

I bolded some sentences in your post because I thought it was contradictory.

I was hyped that he came to camp ready to rock. I don't know why he isn't playing. I saw the same things you did in his rookie season, very nice potential. He had a meh game 1 and got his snap count reduced big time. Now it's a numbers game and he's the odd man out.

I hear you. What I posted was contradictory. However, I really just meant I think something isn't right with the situation and I don't think it's football.

In contrast, people fling all kinds of accusations in this thread about Pettis like it's fact. It's just old.
Share 49ersWebzone