LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Just a question.

Why have we wasted a roster spot for two years on this guy? He hasnt been used for the last two years. It just doesnt make sense.

Honestly, this is a legit question.
Just a question.

Why have we wasted a roster spot for two years on this guy? He hasnt been used for the last two years. It just doesnt make sense.

Shanny has too much pride to say he was wrong. That it's Dante's fault. Players bust out of the NFL all the time. Should try and trade him for a 6th see if anyone bites.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Trade this dude for one of the receivers from the Bengals.
Just a question.

You typically wait three full years before labeling a draft choice a bust. Pettis has regressed from his rookie season. It was bad in 2019. This year so far Pettis has become the invisible man.
I still can't believe Shanny liked him so much that we traded UP in the 2nd round for him. He was a 3rd rounder at absolute best to me, after an interview and just hearing him talk, off my board lol
Would say trade Pettis for Ross, but Pettis did nothing last year and Ross had 500+ yards and 3 TDs, they'd probably ask us to throw in more.
Sometime a fresh start elsewhere is what a player needs. He seemed to be good with the ball in his hands in the past. I'm still puzzled why the most successful punt returner in College history isn't allowed to return punts, because the current guys accomplish nothing on punt returns. Does any team have more punt fair catches than the 49ers? Also, does he ever return a kickoff?
Originally posted by pdfortune:
Sometime a fresh start elsewhere is what a player needs. He seemed to be good with the ball in his hands in the past. I'm still puzzled why the most successful punt returner in College history isn't allowed to return punts, because the current guys accomplish nothing on punt returns. Does any team have more punt fair catches than the 49ers? Also, does he ever return a kickoff?

It's a weird situation indeed. Mind boggling really.
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by pdfortune:

It's a weird situation indeed. Mind boggling really.

Totally mind boggling. You cant tell me that after what we saw from Pettis as a rookie that he suddenly cant even catch an nfl pass. I would asked to be released if I were him. The funny part is Trent Taylor does very little. Bourne drops passes every single game and Deebo appears to be more of a gadget player than a true WR. I just dont know what to make of this ordeal. If he was truly THAT bad of a player surely he wouldve already been cut.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Would say trade Pettis for Ross, but Pettis did nothing last year and Ross had 500+ yards and 3 TDs, they'd probably ask us to throw in more.

Ross has been a healthy scratch for 3 games this season, he has 2 catches for 17 yards, not sure that Ross for Pettis isn't a fair trade for all, especially with Pettis having one more year on his current deal at a lower salary.

Originally posted by hubbyt:
Totally mind boggling. You cant tell me that after what we saw from Pettis as a rookie that he suddenly cant even catch an nfl pass. I would asked to be released if I were him. The funny part is Trent Taylor does very little. Bourne drops passes every single game and Deebo appears to be more of a gadget player than a true WR. I just dont know what to make of this ordeal. If he was truly THAT bad of a player surely he wouldve already been cut.

His two problems in a nutshell.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Ross has been a healthy scratch for 3 games this season, he has 2 catches for 17 yards, not sure that Ross for Pettis isn't a fair trade for all, especially with Pettis having one more year on his current deal at a lower salary.

Not to say there isn't an argument that it would be fair straight up. I would love it if we could swing it. Why not? Worth a shot..
Pettis hasn't shown that he's a good punt returner the few times they used him. Returning punts in college is not the same as the NFL. Coverage teams are not near as good in college. I think Pettis is too much of a long strider to be a good punt returner. He's not really a quick change of direction guy.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Pettis hasn't shown that he's a good punt returner the few times they used him. Returning punts in college is not the same as the NFL. Coverage teams are not near as good in college. I think Pettis is too much of a long strider to be a good punt returner. He's not really a quick change of direction guy.

Returning punts in college as the best athlete = TD
Returning punts in the NFL as an average athlete = nothin
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Returning punts in college as the best athlete = TD
Returning punts in the NFL as an average athlete = nothin

The current punt returners do nothing. I'm just thinking if he must remain on the roster, or has trade potential people need to see something of value. I don't expect Devon Hester, but more than Taylor or James. He doesn't need to be in the game to watch kickoffs sail over his head, and get zero catches.

Taylor is almost as useless. I'm tired of hearing how he is the best receiver in training camp. He should be a third down short yardage master.

If it wasn't for this section I'd forget Pettis is on the team.
Share 49ersWebzone