• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Definitely this!

hes basically brock croyl
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Apr 17, 2018 at 8:28 PM ]
Originally posted by SoCold:
lol Harris was a big fast RB for that era. Won Rookie of the year. Only played 14 game seasons like his first 6 years and he had 1200+ all purpose yards in 5 of those. 9 pro bowls in a row to start his career. lol Derek Loville bwahahaha

He didn't need to run people over or fight for yards. His running style prob allowed him to play and extra few year in the league.

lol

First John Taylor now this. Man your posts are entertaining me. Keep up the good work.

You should go read his thoughts on beating women
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Definitely this!

hes basically brock croyl

LOL! How bout Marsh?
Barry Sanders!
He was an amazing athlete that could break free anytime, problem was he would be stopped repeatedly for a loss or minimal gain. There was no way the offense could build any momentum or rhythm with him in there. No gain, 3 yard loss, 1 yard gain........occasional spectacular touchdown run in yet another loss
Colin Kapernick
The most history of an overrated player.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Just stop. In no way shape or form can anyone make an argument that Michael Irvin is the most overrated player to ever play football. Dude was a great player.

Only caught double digit TD's once. 1 time All-Pro.

Only 57th in most TD receptions of all time, including fewer career TD's than Santana Moss and Derrick Mason.

Only 27th most in all time Rec. yards, including less yards than Hines Ward and Derrick Mason.

Only 38th in all time receptions, including less than Eric Moulds and Chad Johnson.

Irvin was just a very good WR on a powerhouse Dallas team. He doesn't have HOF numbers, but he got in because of the stage his career took place on.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Just stop. In no way shape or form can anyone make an argument that Michael Irvin is the most overrated player to ever play football. Dude was a great player.

Only 57th in most TD receptions of all time, including fewer career TD's than Santana Moss and Derrick Mason.

Only 27th most in all time Rec. yards, including less yards than Hines Ward and Derrick Mason.

Only 38th in all time receptions, including less than Eric Moulds and Chad Johnson.

Irvin was just a very good WR on a powerhouse Dallas team. He doesn't have HOF numbers, but he got in because of the stage his career took place on.

Great. So you just admitted he was a very good WR. Yet you mentioned his name in the "most overrated player of all time" thread.

Even if you think he is overrated, he clearly is not the most overrated player of all time. You know that.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Stats stats stats, nothing whatsoever about actual on field performance. No attempt whatsoever to apply context to those stats, such as the fact that his career ended early with a neck injury, and that the Cowboys pounded Emmitt Smith in the red zone, greatly reducing his red zone touchdown opportunities, which would have made him a touchdown machine as he was a monster on the jump ball, or the fact that the Cowboys were a run first offense, making Irvin's huge receiving seasons from 91-96 even more incredible.

But back to the "all I look at is stats" phenomenon in this thread. Do you do the same thing with college players? Is that how you evaluate who is good? Is that how you scout? Why bother watching guys when you can just look at stats and honors?

Kliff Kingsbury for #1 overall pick! Peyton Manning had nowhere near the passing yards!
darockzillahitman.....

I agree with your premise about stats, especially because people are comparing QB/WR stats to modern day stats.......but I wholeheartedly disagree with you about Terrell Davis. You claim he was just the product of a system and an OL creating massive holes for him. I dont agree with you at all. Dude was incredible. Speed, vision, athleticism....he had it all. He was an unbelievable blocker too.

I think you downplaying Davis is ridiculous. I know his career was short but there were very few better than him.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Apr 18, 2018 at 10:19 AM ]

Russell Wilson is well on his way to this honor.
swann and stallworth for starters.
Originally posted by Cutitoff:
Barry Sanders!
He was an amazing athlete that could break free anytime, problem was he would be stopped repeatedly for a loss or minimal gain. There was no way the offense could build any momentum or rhythm with him in there. No gain, 3 yard loss, 1 yard gain........occasional spectacular touchdown run in yet another loss

That's cuz the whole defense would run blitz him.
Jim McMahon hated that dude.
darockzillahitman.....

I agree with your premise about stats, especially because people are comparing QB/WR stats to modern day stats.......but I wholeheartedly disagree with you about Terrell Davis. You claim he was just the product of a system and an OL creating massive holes for him. I dont agree with you at all. Dude was incredible. Speed, vision, athleticism....he had it all. He was an unbelievable blocker too.

I think you downplaying Davis is ridiculous. I know his career was short but there were very few better than him.

How many impressive Terrell Davis runs can you find? He hardly had any. That's how I evaluate players; I want to SEE impressive things. If I don't, and what I see is just mere execution of what I'd expect from a professional football player, I know they're a product of the system.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNa3gZfQfH0

He just follows the designed hole/cutback based on the rules of the system, gets what's there, and is tackled.

Probably why Mike Anderson was able to do 1500 yards on 5+ yards per carry in 13 games in 2000.

There have been so many talented RBs in NFL history, but people define the "great" ones as just the guys who get the highest volume of carries, either in a season or two, or over the course of a career, and I think that's stupid.

Was Terrell Davis really better than Maurice Jones-Drew? Or Ricky Watters? Or Ahman Green? Or Curt Warner? Freeman McNeil? George Rogers? William Andrews? Garrison Hearst?

s**t, you could watch freak'n BenJarvis Green-Ellis highlight videos and probably find more broken tackles than you could in Davis's entire career.
Share 49ersWebzone