• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Kaepernick

Just stop. SMH

Kap fan boys fired the first shots with Alex Smith. Just sayin'.

Neither Alex Smith nor Colin Kaepernick is "the most overrated player of all time."

I actually have had enough of this thread even though I have posted multiple times in it now. Some of the names being mentioned in here are no where close to being "the most overrated players of all time." Most are overrated sure....but not even close to the thread title. Time to take a step back and ignore this thread, instead of arguing obvious points about why ____ is clearly not the most overrated ever.

100% agreed with the bold. I'm assuming anyone making those statements is either very young or just recently started watching football.
Kaepernick

Just stop. SMH

Neither Alex Smith nor Colin Kaepernick is "the most overrated player of all time."

I actually have had enough of this thread even though I have posted multiple times in it now. Some of the names being mentioned in here are no where close to being "the most overrated players of all time." Most are overrated sure....but not even close to the thread title. Time to take a step back and ignore this thread, instead of arguing obvious points about why ____ is clearly not the most overrated ever.

100% agreed with the bold. I'm assuming anyone making those statements is either very young or just recently started watching football.

Kap was overrated when we thought he would break out. But not all time, obviously. I think a lot of people think Smith sucks really bad, or is just an average game manager. Therefore, hard to say he is overrated.

Steve Largent is the most overrated player, ever.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
Kaepernick

Just stop. SMH

Kap was overrated when we thought he would break out. But not all time, obviously. I think a lot of people think Smith sucks really bad, or is just an average game manager. Therefore, hard to say he is overrated.

I agree with your first statement.

But your second statement?

Largent was a baller! How was he overrated? I'm so confused!

He was a good WR. But when you enter the HOF you are an all time great at that respective position. Up there with the Rice's, Moss', Tim Brown's, etc. He is not close to that. I think the problem with this thread is a common understanding of the word "overrated." When I say Largent was overrated, I'm not saying he wasn't good.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

He was a good WR. But when you enter the HOF you are an all time great at that respective position. Up there with the Rice's, Moss', Tim Brown's, etc. He is not close to that. I think the problem with this thread is a common understanding of the word "overrated." When I say Largent was overrated, I'm not saying he wasn't good.

At the time Largent retired, he held the record for every major receiving statistical category. He was inducted in 1995, long before any of those guys. Is he better than Rice or Moss? No way. But who says that he is?

Overrated to me is people who put Joe Namath up there as one of the "greats." Dude had one good game, in the Super Bowl, where his team was a heavy underdog. Otherwise his career was very mediocre, even compared to his peers. Yet he's elevated to legendary status.

Namath is the standard for this thread.
At the time Largent retired, he held the record for every major receiving statistical category. He was inducted in 1995, long before any of those guys. Is he better than Rice or Moss? No way. But who says that he is?

Overrated to me is people who put Joe Namath up there as one of the "greats." Dude had one good game, in the Super Bowl, where his team was a heavy underdog. Otherwise his career was very mediocre, even compared to his peers. Yet he's elevated to legendary status.

Namath is the standard for this thread.

Largent put up those stats as a product of his offense. Tbh, hard to rate WRs based on stats at that time. There were probably guys on other teams that could have put up way better numbers, but played in old school smash mouth offenses. He was small with mediocre speed.

Edit: I agree with you about Namath. I think Bradshaw is overrated as well.
[ Edited by sacniner on Apr 23, 2018 at 3:55 PM ]
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Joe Namath, won a Super Bowl MVP for basically being a mouthy QB
Let's get things straight WRT the great Jim Brown...I saw him play many times and he was amazing. In the 9 seasons he played he was the primary Browns' offensive weapon...opposing teams used to stack their defenses to try & stop him, but they mostly struggled. His career avg. of 5.2 ypc is among the best all-time. He was a 9-time Pro Bowler, 8-time All Pro. He was a bad, bad man...he'd run around you or over you, it was your choice. Had he continued his career, there's no doubt in my mind he'd be the all-time leading NFL rusher.
  • Veteran
Tony Mandarich
Truth bombs in the recent posts. Smith or Kap? Honey, please. Not even close.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Truth bombs in the recent posts. Smith or Kap? Honey, please. Not even close.

+1.

To be overrated you actually have to be not only pretty good but seen as great....

While Smith and Kap have both put together some very good stretches of solid play, they were almost never regarded that highly (with the exception of maybe Kap after his SB appearance). Smith might get overrated in pinch spots when people judge him based on his great completion percentage or passer rating, but is often underrated for all of the other things he does well.

Russell Wilson being in a similar caliber status of QB talent but regarded as top 5 is the Webster's Dictionary entry for overrated in the modern NFL context.

If you could build a team that only needs 4 or 5 big throws a game to win/be competitive, then Wilson is your guy. Otherwise if your team cannot stand failing drive after drive after drive, he will be problematic.

Kap's 2014 season had him nearly run out of town, but an identical scenario for Wilson will never even be close to being that harsh for him.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Apr 23, 2018 at 10:32 PM ]

Rice, moss...Tim brown?

If you ask me, Tim brown is slightly overrated. Very good for a long time, but never dominant. Didn't do anything exceptionally well.

Lots of corners were overrated. Beware of the corner who comes out with "he can return punts and play wide receiver!!!" hype. Those guys get called elite corners no matter what.

Charles Woodson was never a good cover corner. Ball hawk during gb days, yes. Could hit and blitz, yes. Burned routinely by tons of receivers, including journeyman.

Deion was good but overrated. Take away half the field my ass. Falcons pass defenses sucked with him.

Champ bailey was not a shutdown guy. Beaten plenty.

Patrick Peterson started out overrated.

Dale carter, overrated.

Rod Woodson...watch how badly he was beaten in 92 packers game.

If you hear of a shutdown corner, it's usually bs. Revis was for 3 years. That's about it. The rest are very human.
[ Edited by Thecurrentyear on Apr 24, 2018 at 12:55 AM ]
Troy Aikman
Originally posted by Thecurrentyear:
Rice, moss...Tim brown?

If you ask me, Tim brown is slightly overrated. Very good for a long time, but never dominant. Didn't do anything exceptionally well.

Lots of corners were overrated. Beware of the corner who comes out with "he can return punts and play wide receiver!!!" hype. Those guys get called elite corners no matter what.

Charles Woodson was never a good cover corner. Ball hawk during gb days, yes. Could hit and blitz, yes. Burned routinely by tons of receivers, including journeyman.

Deion was good but overrated. Take away half the field my ass. Falcons pass defenses sucked with him.

Champ bailey was not a shutdown guy. Beaten plenty.

Patrick Peterson started out overrated.

Dale carter, overrated.

Rod Woodson...watch how badly he was beaten in 92 packers game.

If you hear of a shutdown corner, it's usually bs. Revis was for 3 years. That's about it. The rest are very human.

Nice one.

Recent example of a massively overrated player? Brock Osweiler. Justification? I have 72 million justifications not to mention 4 teams in 3 years. Win/loss as a starter 13-12. Started 25 games in 6 years. One of the few people to be traded for less value than the team received (Osweiler plus 2017 6th round pick plus 2018 2nd round pick for 2017 compensatory pick).
Kaepernick

Just stop. SMH

fair post!
Share 49ersWebzone