There are 98 users in the forums

New rule banning lowering of the helmet

Originally posted by kezar49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
This is the one that will be tough to keep from doing.

Is this a penalty or an ejection on the receiver for lowering his his head just before contact or on the defense and why? Seems like this new rule could happen on all plays pretty much.

Edit: or the defensive player for shoulder to the head because the receiver dropped his helmet is what I meant.

That play shouldn't be called a penalty against either, they both lower their helmets but neither of them "initiate contact with the helmet".

Actually watching it back the defender probably does get called, tough play, he could get lower but he's not done a lot wrong.

There's a big difference of lowering to protect yourself vs lowering to basically headbutt someone.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on May 27, 2018 at 11:15 AM ]
  • Jiks
  • Veteran
I really don't understand the reasoning behind this rule if they hardly ever enforce it. I'm not necessarily complaining but I've watched a lot of players get bluntly away with it all season.
Originally posted by Jiks:
I really don't understand the reasoning behind this rule if they hardly ever enforce it. I'm not necessarily complaining but I've watched a lot of players get bluntly away with it all season.

they have to act like they're doing something about concussions. Im glad they're not calling it like they did in the preseason.
Share 49erswebzone