LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Honey badger

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NTeply49:
He can play nickel or safety effectively.

He's still pretty young and talented.

He can be had at a bargain price and provide depth to two key positions if we're making a run at the Super Bowl.

He'll have a chip on his shoulder against the cardinals.

I'd love to take a chance on this guy considering g how you d he is. We need playmakers and he provides quality depth at the least

He wont come for cheap. He's going to have plenty of suitors.
I hope we sign him. We instantly turn our secondary into a strength with him on the roster. Especially when Sherman is healthy. Our secondary becomes feared if we sign him.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerLgnd:
I hope we sign him. We instantly turn our secondary into a strength with him on the roster. Especially when Sherman is healthy. Our secondary becomes feared if we sign him.

IR 2013 Left ACL, LCL
IR 2015 Right ACL
IR 2016 Shoulder

He's only been available for 66 out of 80 total games in over 5 seasons and healthy enough to start in just 57. He's not the same honey badger we all saw in college or dominate early in his career injuries have taken a toll.
Originally posted by NinerLgnd:

I agree, although many others on the zone vehemently oppose adding him and have called him "not a good football player anymore, etc.."

As I have noted before..this front office loves players who are versatile. Honey Badger has it. Maybe not as much as he did before, but he can still play and help shift our culture, IMO.

Although, I don't think we are even interested, so it's a moot point... "The other teams listed in connection to the Honey Badger include the Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, New York Jets, New Orleans Saints, Seattle Seahawks and Houston Texans."
49ers NOT INTERESTED
People are making it sound like he's a broken down bum. Budda Baker, their cap situation, and Mathieu's 14.1M hit was the reason he's gone.

Last season he was second on the team in tackles and played more snaps than anyone in the league. He's a playmaker and he just didn't have the big plays like his 2015 All Pro season, where he was also in the DPOY conversation.

The problem with Mathieu is he doesn't fit all defenses. He's a hybrid safety that has the ability to cover the slot. He's not the single high FS that Budda is and that we want.

Who ever sign him is getting a solid and productive player. He needs to stay healthy, which may be tough for a smaller guy that plays so physical. There's no denying his instincts and ability though.

He struggled in 2016 due to injuries, but 2017 was a better year. He just lacked the splash plays and saw a decrease in his coverage rating from the slot (lacked the Ints).

The team that brings him in needs to have a plan for him. If you're going to use him exclusively as a slot CB, as Arizona did after drafting Baker, than it's a waste of his talents. He's a safety that can drop down in run support and cover when needed.

While he's not worth the 14.1M cap hit, he's still an exciting and productive player in the league. Let's not get crazy and make it sound like he's all washed up.
Gone. After retaining Jimmie I can't believe some of y'all wanted him lol.

Whatevs... Moving on. Good luck honey badger.
  • dj43
Goes to Houston for 1 year, $7M.

He was due to make $19M with AZ but they wanted him to take a cut. He refused and now settles for $7M. Injuries and a lack of interest in safeties cost him a lot of money.
Originally posted by dj43:

He was due to make $19M with AZ but they wanted him to take a cut. He refused and now settles for $7M. Injuries and a lack of interest in safeties cost him a lot of money.

Makes me sick. We couldn't offer 1 year 8 million to take a flyer on this guy?
Originally posted by dj43:

And the beat goes on.

Share 49ersWebzone